[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superman Talk

tonorator

Let me first off start by saying that Superman (or the Hulk) is probably my least favorite of the "big" superheroes out there (e.g. Spiderman, X-Men, Batman).

The word to describe my feelings on Superman Returns is underwhelmed. It was an okay movie, but most of the time it just felt like the movie's purpose was to reboot the franchise and they forgot to make it feel like anything was at stake. They kept saying "billions of people will die!" I get it, but repeating it doesn't invest me anymore into a lame threat that was a subplot to everything else. Next time, I want Brainiac and a real threat to humanity besides the so-so Lex Luthor. That said, the dialogue and cast were strong. I just wish there was an exciting story to go along with them.

2.5 out 5 stars for me.

:D could kick the crap out of Superman.

Edited by TDFFFreak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This movie wasn't very good.

Bosworth blows - very poor casting here - she doesn't look old enough to be a mom - couldn't they have at least gotten someone in their late 20s? And she has no depth of character. Also, she doesn't look smart enough to be Lois.

Routh is just imitating Reeve, but he's OK. The man has all of 6 lines in the movie and 2 of them are "Good night, Lois."

They could have done much more with Spacey who was a good Lex without much to work with.

Posey wasn't anything special.

The kid was OK.

And once you've seen Supeman catch one incredibly heavy object just in time, you've seen them all. That got boring.

2 out of 5 stars.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

some valid criticisms, but i still rate the movie higher. it has some great moments and does justice to the legacy. i thought this was a great way to introduce the man of steel on the big screen to a new generation. it will be fun to see where they take it next ...

80+ million over the 5 day opening ... not too shabby!

Saw it tonight, I thought it was definitely a good movie. I didn't walk out in awe but really liked it. Routh was spot on as Superman and Clark :D but I really thought Bosworth was a poor choice for Lois, and even thought her acting was lacking in spots (very insignificant part, but when she bumped into Clark and dropped her purse I thought the reaction was horrible and should never have made the cut), just coulda picked someone better imo. The effects were excellent but you can't expect any less nowadays. I always love Spacey and he didn't let me down, however I think they could have gotten into him a little more. Only other thing that I could think of right now is that I was definitely looking for more from the son. Overall I liked it and am looking forward to the next one.

why you be hatin'?

Not hatin', I was just disappointed. Batman Begins was so good and they managed to reboot the series and weave good story and villians into the movie.* I really wanted to love the movie or even really like the movie, but what I got was mostly set up and little else. I understand why thy did it, but it wasn't what I had hoped or thought the franchise needed. This was not a matter of the movie being awful, mind you, it just was much less then I had hoped.

*ditto with Spiderman.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Not hatin', I was just disappointed. Batman Begins was so good and they managed to reboot the series and weave good story and villians into the movie.* I really wanted to love the movie or even really like the movie, but what I got was mostly set up and little else. I understand why thy did it, but it wasn't what I had hoped or thought the franchise needed. This was not a matter of the movie being awful, mind you, it just was much less then I had hoped.

*ditto with Spiderman.

I thought spiderman was done well...they follow the storyline and have done everything well IMO....

the superman storyline is all messed up...just like how Singer fouled up the x-men series.....when did superman and Lois Lane ever do anything besides kiss?.....who is the kid, Jesus?....the immaculate conception?...

horrible idea here... :D

I thought spiderman was done well...they follow the storyline and have done everything well IMO....

the superman storyline is all messed up...just like how Singer fouled up the x-men series.....when did superman and Lois Lane ever do anything besides kiss?.....who is the kid, Jesus?....the immaculate conception?...

uh, did you watch the 2nd movie? supes gives up his powers for a roll in the hay with lois in the fortress of solitude ...

Just to clarify, I agree with you about Spiderman. I was saying that is the way to do a superhero story and I enjoyed Spiderman 1 & 2 a lot.

uh, did you watch the 2nd movie? supes gives up his powers for a roll in the hay with lois in the fortress of solitude ...

Yeah, but the logic falls apart. Supes is gone 5 years. The kid is five. You saying Lois jumped in the sack with whatshisname the day after Supes took off?

That, and was Lex Luthor at the fortress before, or was it only a new discovery for him? There was ZERO mention or implaction that it was the second time he had made it - unless I missed something (which is possible).

It's like some things were incorporated, and some things were ignored. But logic isn't behind any of the decisions.

BTW - if you're wondering what was 3D in Imax it was: smallville/discovering hsi powers; the shuttle/plane rescue; the boat being skewered in the water and the ending flight sequence that wrapepd the movie. I liked his first two choices, but felt the last 2 could have been different sequences.

Yeah, but the logic falls apart. Supes is gone 5 years. The kid is five. You saying Lois jumped in the sack with whatshisname the day after Supes took off?

That, and was Lex Luthor at the fortress before, or was it only a new discovery for him? There was ZERO mention or implaction that it was the second time he had made it - unless I missed something (which is possible).

It's like some things were incorporated, and some things were ignored. But logic isn't behind any of the decisions.

this movie is supposed to follow Superman II chronologically, so we are to assume that superman left right after that one, or somewhere around 9 months after.

luthor was in the fortress in Superman II ... he was there for the final battle when superman switched the chamber to the outside and zod and his chronies lost their powers.

what is tricky to figure out is that lois apparently is aware that she slept with superman, but the kiss that clark put on her at the end of Superman II suggested that she didn't remember it. now she seems to understand that she has superman's kid, but if you follow the movies, she should be confused about how that happened. of course, there's no way she could just forget everything that happened in the 2nd movie because these were monumental events for the planet (zod took over the white house), so she would have had to have been filled in somewhat.

it seems like singer did take some easy way outs from answering some difficult questions.

this movie is supposed to follow Superman II chronologically, so we are to assume that superman left right after that one, or somewhere around 9 months after.

luthor was in the fortress in Superman II ... he was there for the final battle when superman switched the chamber to the outside and zod and his chronies lost their powers.

what is tricky to figure out is that lois apparently is aware that she slept with superman, but the kiss that clark put on her at the end of Superman II suggested that she didn't remember it. now she seems to understand that she has superman's kid, but if you follow the movies, she should be confused about how that happened. of course, there's no way she could just forget everything that happened in the 2nd movie because these were monumental events for the planet (zod took over the white house), so she would have had to have been filled in somewhat.

it seems like singer did take some easy way outs from answering some difficult questions.

First off, the whole Superman 3+4 never happened thing was thrown out by WB and if you dig around you'll see Singer backtracked from that as well, his retraction wasn't as covered as his initial statement.

I know the S2 stuff, but as I said LL didn't seem to have acknowledged he visited it before.

Too much license in what should either be a 'reboot' or sequeal' instead of trying to straddle the line in between and causing more confusion than relieving it.

First off, the whole Superman 3+4 never happened thing was thrown out by WB and if you dig around you'll see Singer backtracked from that as well, his retraction wasn't as covered as his initial statement.

I know the S2 stuff, but as I said LL didn't seem to have acknowledged he visited it before.

Too much license in what should either be a 'reboot' or sequeal' instead of trying to straddle the line in between and causing more confusion than relieving it.

there wasn't much acknowledgement of anything in this movie, which was the most frustrating thing about it.

we don't know exactly when superman left. we don't know what lois remembers. we don't know if lois already knew that jason was superman's son. in reality, we don't even know for sure that the kid is superman's son, although his ending speech certainly suggests it. they didn't show what lois whispered into superman's ear, but we are supposed to assume. they didn't show the kid throw the piano, but we are supposed to assume. they didn't have superman say "my son" at the end, he just said "son", but we are supposed to assume. they could go anyway they want with this, which might be by design.

also, lex's plan was pretty lame when you think about it. beach front property? i hope he was only trying to cover something up with that statement because after he wipes out half the world, does he really expect people to be paying him for land? he would have just destroyed the global economy and probably would have what's left of the world leaders sending missiles at him vs. buying his land. he seemed to suggest that he learned EVERYTHING from the kryptonians, which must mean that he could come up with some new technology for this new world, but it was only him and a few thugs. how much could they do?

so blah. there are a bunch of questions. hopefully the next one will help with some answers. i liked this movie for the characters, the moments, and the action/effects. the story is just too wide open and confusing to make anything of it ...

Me and the wife went to see it last Friday. I thought it was ok, but nothing special. My wife thought it was great. My problem is that I'm a comic book :D , and expect to much out of all of these films. Superman was ok, but it had too many inconsistencies for me as mentioned by others. If I were ranking the latest generation of comic book movies I'd rank them as follows.

1. Spiderman I

2. Batman Begins

3. Blade I

4. Blade II

5. Spiderman II

6. Xmen

7. Superman Returns

8. Blade III

9. Xmen II

10. The Punisher

11. Daredevil

12 Men In Black (for the comedy)

13. Men in Black II (again for the comedy)

14. Sin City

15. Electra (Jennifer G is the only redeeming factor in this movie)

The above are comic book movies I'd like to watch again on DVD after having seen all but The Punisher on the big screen. The following I probably wouldn't watch again unless there was something else on:

16. Catwoman (If it wasn't Halle Berry, nobody would watch it.)

17. The Hulk (The movie sucked and it didn't show Jennifer Connley enough)

18. The Phantom

19. Hell Boy (The fx and sound were unreal, the movie sucked)

20. Batman Forever

21. Batman & Robin

22. Batman III

23. Dick Tracy (Madonna was pretty hot back then)

24. Captian America (1991) (This was low budget. I'd love to see a new movie with Capt in it.)

25. Barb Wire (not even a half naked Pamela Anderson could make this film good.)

26. Constantine (This movie was just too out there for me, I'm sure others would have it ranked much higher)

27. The Crow (a little strange)

28. The Crow City of Angles (getting worse as it goes along)

29. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

30. The Rocketeer

Films I haven't seen but would like too see.

1. Fantastic 4

2. Xmen The Last Stand

3. V for Vendetta

4. The Punisher II (sometime this year)

4. Wonderwoman (2007 release)

5. Spiderman III (2007 release)

6. Sin City II (2007)

8. Ghost Rider (2007)

9. Fantstic Four 2 (2007)

7. Sin City III, Hell and Back (2008)

also, lex's plan was pretty lame when you think about it. beach front property? i hope he was only trying to cover something up with that statement because after he wipes out half the world, does he really expect people to be paying him for land? he would have just destroyed the global economy and probably would have what's left of the world leaders sending missiles at him vs. buying his land. he seemed to suggest that he learned EVERYTHING from the kryptonians, which must mean that he could come up with some new technology for this new world, but it was only him and a few thugs. how much could they do?

Not to mention the land Lex created is less valuable than Florida swamp land. I bet people will just be lining up for some hard, black and barren lump of rock in the middle of the ocean. Where will they get their water and how will they grow anything? It was a pretty contrived scheme, IMO.

some valid criticisms, but i still rate the movie higher. it has some great moments and does justice to the legacy. i thought this was a great way to introduce the man of steel on the big screen to a new generation. it will be fun to see where they take it next ...

80+ million over the 5 day opening ... not too shabby!

Uh, the "Legacy" includes two movies they are now writing off, and the Supergirl waste.

I have no desire to see this movie. Maybe I'll pay $3 and rent it in three months.

I know who wins, I know who loses and I have a real good idea of all the in between crap.

Me and the wife went to see it last Friday. I thought it was ok, but nothing special. My wife thought it was great. My problem is that I'm a comic book :D , and expect to much out of all of these films. Superman was ok, but it had too many inconsistencies for me as mentioned by others. If I were ranking the latest generation of comic book movies I'd rank them as follows.

1. Spiderman I-- solid movie, can't decide if I like 1 or 2 better

2. Batman Begins-- great flick, good mix of restarting the franchise and giving us something new. Put Superman Returns to shame IMO.

3. Blade I- Strong movie.

4. Blade II- slicker then Blade 1. Good, but not quite as good as #1.

5. Spiderman II

6. Xmen-- Great start to the franchise and my favorite of the 3 X-Men movies.

7. Superman Returns- Meh. See previous posts.

8. Blade III- Blech.

9. Xmen II- good film, but needed a few more evil mutants.

10. The Punisher- meh.

11. Daredevil- not good, but not as bad as many will have you believe.

12 Men In Black (for the comedy)-- Great movie for what it is.

13. Men in Black II (again for the comedy)-- Awful.

14. Sin City-- good and twisted.

15. Electra (Jennifer G is the only redeeming factor in this movie)-- total crap.

The above are comic book movies I'd like to watch again on DVD after having seen all but The Punisher on the big screen. The following I probably wouldn't watch again unless there was something else on:

16. Catwoman (If it wasn't Halle Berry, nobody would watch it.)

17. The Hulk (The movie sucked and it didn't show Jennifer Connley enough)-- biggest bore of a movie.

18. The Phantom

19. Hell Boy (The fx and sound were unreal, the movie sucked)-- I liked this one.

20. Batman Forever- this is Batman #2 right? If do, I liked this one, but it really should have been called "Batman, Catwoman and the Penguin"

21. Batman & Robin- Biggest travesty in comic book movie history. Miscast, cartoony and a lameass plot.

22. Batman III-- better then Batman 4, but still not that good.

23. Dick Tracy (Madonna was pretty hot back then)-- I kinda like this one.

24. Captian America (1991) (This was low budget. I'd love to see a new movie with Capt in it.)

25. Barb Wire (not even a half naked Pamela Anderson could make this film good.)

26. Constantine (This movie was just too out there for me, I'm sure others would have it ranked much higher) I was expecting more.

27. The Crow (a little strange)

28. The Crow City of Angles (getting worse as it goes along)

29. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-- great idea that was probably too big for a movie.

30. The Rocketeer

Films I haven't seen but would like too see.

1. Fantastic 4- lame, but watchable.

2. Xmen The Last Stand-- Action scenes were good, but they tried to do to much and ruined a bunch of great characters.

3. V for Vendetta-- okay, not great, but not bad either.

4. The Punisher II (sometime this year)

4. Wonderwoman (2007 release)

5. Spiderman III (2007 release)

6. Sin City II (2007)

8. Ghost Rider (2007)

9. Fantstic Four 2 (2007)

7. Sin City III, Hell and Back (2008)

That's some nice list, see my :D comments above...