[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Preparation...

Okay, I primarily use the internet to prep for the draft....The Huddle....FFtoday..CBS Sportsline, etc....But, always like to bring a fantasy football mag with me to draft, sort of security blanket, etc.

Draft isn't til end of August.

What does some of the huddlers recommend for mags that give best info/insight?

Thanks....!1

Okay, I primarily use the internet to prep for the draft....The Huddle....FFtoday..CBS Sportsline, etc....But, always like to bring a fantasy football mag with me to draft, sort of security blanket, etc.

Draft isn't til end of August.

What does some of the huddlers recommend for mags that give best info/insight?

Thanks....!1

the huddle has a magazine it has some good insight u should condsider picking one up. besides that there is a magazine the annual draft guide from Fanball thats good also.

Thanks for info....

Basically, looking for a mag like Sporting News, etc that I can peruse while at the beach...

any footballers still use mags, or all internet driven?

thanks guys...

I use a mixture of both, you can use one to coroberate what info you are getting , once you see all saying almost the same info on a player its usually best to just follow suit with the experts

Thanks for info....

Basically, looking for a mag like Sporting News, etc that I can peruse while at the beach...

any footballers still use mags, or all internet driven?

thanks guys...

I do a lot of my own research, which I incorporate into custumized rankings and color-coded cheat sheets. I don't buy mags anymore, as I generally put more thought and work into my own rankings. I use about a half dozen different websites for a variety of stats and information, though.

thanks Jetsman...any particular mag that stands out for you? i try and avoid any that has Michael Vick on the cover...!

honestly no cheat sheet you get on the web or in a magazine will ever be 100% accurate

the 2 I mentioned are very good those are the only 2 I use, what I do is create my own excel cheat sheet and use whatever info I get from the web to help me made judgements on players so I can make last minute adjustments to my cheatsheets. But the catch is you have to start early to do this simply because it is alot of work! if you dont have the time use the magazines.

Thanks for feedback.....No, i agree...I primarily use the sites, put together excel sheets, rankings, etc....

I just was looking for something that may be a quick reference guide day of draft, etc.....Most guys show up with at least one mag, and their own 'work'...I just didnt know if any particular one stood out as being better...I do a ton of research on my own, use this site a lot, as well as other..

thanks

Any magazine will be severely outdates by draft time, heck they are generally severley outdated by the time they are printed, much less by the time they are shipped and put out on shelves.

The only reason to bring a magazine to the draft is to hope one of your leaguemates asks to borrow it to make a decision.

You would be better off bringing in recent printouts/updates from sites like the huddle, etc if you want something useful with you at the draft.

That said, I've always enjoye the articles in Fantasy Football Index.

On the topic of creating your own excel cheat sheets, I've been doing that for the last few years and am just curious as to what drives your rankings. I've used ADP, but are there any other factors (tiers maybe?) that anyone has used to adjust their order?

Thanks for everyone's feedback...I think that I mis-stated.....I DEFINITELY use primarily websites.....draft guides, mock rankings and my own brain/gut feelings. I do an extensive analysis, etc....

I more or less was thinking if there are any mags worht using as a guide/reference, as I will be on the beach, for a week, mid August....no computer, etc...Would at least keep me in the game, so to speak..

I already have compiled ton of info, etc....and sometimes having a mag at a draft to look up quick stat (how TALL/old/years pro, etc) of a player is helpful...

thats all...definitely not interested in basing drafting off just a mag.....We got one guy in league who does that..needless to say, hasn't won Championship in 12 years using that process...

thanks everyone

I use the Cheat Sheet at the draft. I make adjustment to it if I do not agree with some of the ranking. I do alot of research on the internet prior to the draft. Looking at team sites, etc. I think if you have to much with you on draft day it can be a distraction. I usually have my cheat sheet (for rankings), bye week schedule and a sheet to track what team has picked what positions.

On the topic of creating your own excel cheat sheets, I've been doing that for the last few years and am just curious as to what drives your rankings. I've used ADP, but are there any other factors (tiers maybe?) that anyone has used to adjust their order?

I like to create an "at a glance" spread sheet so it can fit on two sheets of paper (landscape), which I then staple on the back of a manila folder. (other stuff gets stapled to the inside of the folder, all of which created clean, tiddy draft day kit). I cross names off as they get drafted, which helps easily track the draft.

I also recommend listing the following next to the name of each player in the spread sheet:

- bye week;

- hand cuff (as applicable)

- strength of schedule this year in one column, and strength of schedule from last year right next to it (so you can contrast whose schedules have gotten easier or harder this year relative to last).

I also color-code each player. 12 Red players (or what ever color) represent the players I honestly believe are the top 12 overall picks in the draft (i.e., "first round value" players). 12 green players represent the players I'd take in the 13-24 range (2nd round value), etc.

I rank kickers and defenses separately, on the bottom of my overall chart.

I also create a column next to all players for upwards and downwards arrows that remind me if my overall impression, based on camp or preseason news, etc., was good or bad. I put an astrix after the names of players I am targeting within their respective tiers.

I also have a larger, more numerically based master spread for all WR/TEs, RB, and QBs that calculate the last 5 years for each players' fantasy production, shows all relevant stats, calculates each year's annual production, average fantasy points per game, and (new to for me this year) fantasy production per opportunity each player is putting out. I also crunch 5 year-rolling average annual points and points per game numbers, which I use to forecast potential production *this* year. Those numbers largely drive the which tiers players land in on my "at a glance" spread sheet. I make room for notes in every players "box," as well as inicate WR's reception ratios, QBs completion percentages, and RBs YPC. As the draft day gets closer, I also list the current consensus ADP for each player using a combination of Antsports average draft info, The Huddle's overall rankings, and another site's projected ADP.

It's something I create over a month or so, so it is constantly evolving up until draft day. But once I'm done, it's far superior to anything you can buy over the counter in a mag, or online.

Edited by yo mama

I like to create an "at a glance" spread sheet so it can fit on two sheets of paper (landscape), which I then staple on the back of a manila folder. (other stuff gets stapled to the inside of the folder, all of which created clean, tiddy draft day kit). I cross names off as they get drafted, which helps easily track the draft.

I also recommend listing the following next to the name of each player in the spread sheet:

- bye week;

- strength of schedule this year in one column, and strength of schedule from last year right next to it (so you can contrast whose schedules have gotten easier or harder this year relative to last).

I also color-code each player. 12 Red players (or what ever color) represent the players I honestly believe are the top 12 overall picks in the draft (i.e., "first round value" players). 12 green players represent the players I'd take in the 13-24 range (2nd round value), etc.

I also create a column next to all players for upwards and downwards arrows that remind me if my overall impression, based on camp or preseason news, etc., was good or bad. I put an astrix after the names of players I am targeting within their respective tiers.

I also have a larger, more numerically based master spread for all WR/TEs, RB, and QBs that calculate the last 5 years for each players' fantasy production, shows all relevant stats, calculates each year's annual production, average fantasy points per game, and (new to for me this year) fantasy production per opportunity each player is putting out. I also crunch 5 year-rolling average annual points and points per game numbers, which I use to forecast potential production *this* year. Those numbers largely drive the which tiers players land in on my "at a glance" spread sheet. I make room for notes in every players "box," as well as inicate WR's reception ratios, QBs completion percentages, and RBs YPC. As the draft day gets closer, I also list the current consensus ADP for each player using a combination of Antsports average draft info, The Huddle's overall rankings, and another site's projected ADP.

It's something I create over a month or so, so it is constantly evolving up until draft day. But once I'm done, it's far superior to anything you can buy over the counter in a mag, or online.

my own is almost as similar

i colour coordinate also with a little catch though

yellow background behind first name represents favourable fantasy playoff schedual

red background bye week represents a top offensive line

blue background on projected points represents favourable early schedual

yellow background & red first name represents favourable championship game.

D next to the bye week represents the dome stadium player

H next to bye week is Championship week home game

C next to bye week is cold weather/ winter championship game possibility

there are a few others but i cant remember them all now.

yellow background behind first name represents favourable fantasy playoff schedual

:D you guys are impressive. i am going to show up at my local with a similar sheet and see how my guys respond. about half will fall off their chair in mocking laughter. they dont get the fun of fantasy football at all. finding little nuggets and playing your hunches all come from reading and studying. remembering what you read and think is the challenge. at least for my brain. all the color coded help i can get, i am all for. peace out, you fanatics

I always have my own evaluations and tiering on a few sheets of paper. I do bring a FF mag just for the cheatsheets which I only use to cross out players that are taken. Last year I didn't even bring the mag to the draft. I just copied the cheat sheet for crossing out purposes only. I use the mag just for reading material. This year I'm just going to make a few copies of the Huddle's rankings again for crossing out purposes, although my own cheet sheet may not be that much different than the Huddle's as I use their insight as my #1 tool. You really have to look at your scoring system to see if it's basically the same as that of a cheatsheet you are using. My scoring system in one league is very unique so I have to tier the players my way using insights from other sources. Sign up for the Huddle if you haven't done so yet! It's well worth the nominal fee.

I'm sure that there is a variation of it somewhere but what I have done the last few years for my rankings is take the average weekly pts projected for a position (12 team league, start 2 RBs, 4 bench spots, assume 2 will be RBs, use average of top 48 RBs).

After I have that for RBs, QBs, WRs and TEs I take that average and subtract it from the total weekly projected points. Just finished it with the huddle projections and I've only really looked at the top 20 or so and it's looking a lot like and ADP ranking.

Like I said, I'm sure there's a thread similar out there just thought that I'd add my :D

Cool. Another draft prep psycho. :D What tool(s) do you use to determine top offensive lines? I like the idea of folding that concept to my at a glance cheet sheet.

:D

:D:D (Didn't know there was a nerd/geek emoticon)

Funny response but I like his draft day idea. The guy obviously takes FF seriously and that's the type of player you want in your league... the guy who's prepared to kick ass.

- bye week;

I do the EXACT same thing with a manilla folder, but I use a glue stick instead. I don't like staples.

I also add a sheet of some heavy cardstock backing in-between the folder and the sheets that I glue to the back of it. It makes the surface very rigid and nice for writing on your lap. (usually there is a lack of table space due to drinks/food/etc...)

I don't bother with tiering or color-coding anything. I simply list the players in the order I would take them in a VBD. Of course I don't always follow that list due to positional requirements, position runs, or even gut instincts. This is where doing mock drafts will give you a lot of insight for when your real fraft happens.

I can't wait until the end of August!!!

S.T.

Cool. Another draft prep psycho. :D What tool(s) do you use to determine top offensive lines? I like the idea of folding that concept to my at a glance cheet sheet.

well its really tough to gauge, but I basically go with the top Olines from the previous year, least sacks allowed, most rushing yards by a team, longest tenure of playing time together, stuff like that, it will basically boil down to the same 5 -8 teams every year. with one or 2 exceptions.

Edited by jetsman2806