[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting 10th in a 10 team Performance League

litdog

Who wants to help me out?? I draft 10th in a 10 team standard performance league. We start:

1- QB

2- RB's

3- WR's

1- TE

1- Kicker

1-D

I am definitely taking two RB's at #10 and #11 but the two that I draft will undoubtedly decide my season. There is a window of 5-7 RB's that might be there. Out of the RB's below which two would you draft and why??

Stephen Jackson

Ronnie Brown

Cadilac Williams

Dominick Davis

Rudi Johnson

Westbrook

McGahee

Right now I would probably lean towards Steph Jackson and Ronnie Brown, but both may be gone. I also haven't analyzed things like are they in a RBBC, schedules, bye weeks, if they lose goaline carries, etc..

Help PLease!!

Edited by litdog

I also haven't analyzed things like are they in a RBBC, schedules, bye weeks, if they lose goaline carries, etc..

Help PLease!!

SO, you are saying you haven't put any work into this yet...

Like you said, they are al labout the same, and I have no issues with the order you have them in now, though I would probably put Rudi ahead of Davis.

SO, you are saying you haven't put any work into this yet...

Like you said, they are al labout the same, and I have no issues with the order you have them in now, though I would probably put Rudi ahead of Davis.

Haven't put in my time yet. I'm 30yrs old and have a job. This draft isn't until Aug 28th so I have plenty of time. I didn't put the RB's in any particular order. Just listed the ones that I think should be around. I would prob put Rudi ahead of Davis, and I read that Rudi has dropped weight and looks great. My only problem is that division scares the hell out of me with him running against Pitt and Balt 4 times. Clevelands D is nothing though..

It would also be helpful to know if you get points per receptions. That would make Jackson more valuable than Rudy IMO. And be careful not to end up always following the runs at certain positions. You'll never catch up that way. Being that you start 3 WRs, you may want to look into getting a tier 1 WR with pick #11, and hope that another RB is still available with your next pick. If you don't grab a tier 1 WR, they will most certainly be gone by your next pick and you will be playing catch up with the WR position as well.

It would also be helpful to know if you get points per receptions. That would make Jackson more valuable than Rudy IMO. And be careful not to end up always following the runs at certain positions. You'll never catch up that way. Being that you start 3 WRs, you may want to look into getting a tier 1 WR with pick #11, and hope that another RB is still available with your next pick. If you don't grab a tier 1 WR, they will most certainly be gone by your next pick and you will be playing catch up with the WR position as well.

We do not get points for receptions for RB' or WR's. You make a good point about WR's, and I always consider that, but I just look at RB's overall who usually touch the ball 20x + per game. If I wait until picks 30 and 31 I can still take 2 WR's like H. Ward, D Jax, Driver, Chambers (maybe), Roy Williams, D. Mason, Andre Johnson, etc.. Hell I could take Antonio Gates and a WR there.. If I waited to take my 2nd RB at 30 or 31 I would be looking at someone like Chester Taylor/Reggie Bush/Julius Jones...

I am a true believer that RB depth wins fantasy year after year...

Edited by litdog

Based on the info, etc, I would go with Stephen Jackson and Ronnie Brown. I think both are poised for a big season, and should carry the load fine. Lots have said that Brown has not been 'the main back' since his High school days, but think he will put up great numbers in the offense.....Always been Jackson fan; tried to get him last year, but couldnt..good luck..

Based on the info, etc, I would go with Stephen Jackson and Ronnie Brown. I think both are poised for a big season, and should carry the load fine. Lots have said that Brown has not been 'the main back' since his High school days, but think he will put up great numbers in the offense.....Always been Jackson fan; tried to get him last year, but couldnt..good luck..

If Jackson and R. Brown are both there at 10 and 11 that is what I would do if I drafted tomorrow. I have a few idiots in my league and am praying one of them takes Manning or S. Smith in the 1st 9 picks.. If 9 RB's go before I pick I don't know if either will be there.. Then what do I do? Rudi and Dom Davis? Cadillac?

Edited by litdog

Stephen Jackson

Ronnie Brown

Cadilac Williams

Dominick Davis

Rudi Johnson

Westbrook

McGahee

Right now I would probably lean towards Steph Jackson and Ronnie Brown, but both may be gone. I also haven't analyzed things like are they in a RBBC, schedules, bye weeks, if they lose goaline carries, etc..

Help PLease!!

If you can get any two of Jackson, Brown, Williams, Johnson, or Westbrook (only if you get PPR), then do so. If not, grab the best RB available and the WR you like most (Steve Smith, IMO). Davis is too iffy to pass on a WR of Smith's caliber. McGahee is coin flip relative to Smith. But I give the nod to Smith for intangible reasons.

If you can get any two of Jackson, Brown, Williams, Johnson, or Westbrook (only if you get PPR), then do so. If not, grab the best RB available and the WR you like most (Steve Smith, IMO). Davis is too iffy to pass on a WR of Smith's caliber. McGahee is coin flip relative to Smith. But I give the nod to Smith for intangible reasons.

That's not a bad idea either. But I would get stuck with crappola at #30 for my #2 RB. I hate being weak at RB, even if I have S. Smith. I just think the WR position is very deep. If you do your job studying receivers then they should always be serviceable at the very least. IMO.

We do not get points for receptions for RB' or WR's. You make a good point about WR's, and I always consider that, but I just look at RB's overall who usually touch the ball 20x + per game. If I wait until picks 30 and 31 I can still take 2 WR's like H. Ward, D Jax, Driver, Chambers (maybe), Roy Williams, D. Mason, Andre Johnson, etc.. Hell I could take Antonio Gates and a WR there.. If I waited to take my 2nd RB at 30 or 31 I would be looking at someone like Chester Taylor/Reggie Bush/Julius Jones...

I am a true believer that RB depth wins fantasy year after year...

I didn't say to go with the WR as pick 11. I just meant for you to think about it. I doubt very much that

Brown, Caddy, and Jackson are all still available when you pick. If so, I probably would grab 2 of those 3. If not, then that't when you have to start thinking of a top tier WR. You need star players of some sort to win any kind of FF league. That's what makes the #10 spot so intrigueing. Good luck what ever you do.

P.S.- I think someone will probably snag Gates in the 3rd round before you pick again anyway.

If you do your job studying receivers then they should always be serviceable at the very least. IMO.

:D I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Honestly, at the 30 spot you should still be able to find a Warrick Dunn, D. Foster, Willie Parker, Chester Taylor, Jamal Lewis type of #2 RB. Coupled with a solid #1 RB and elite #1 WR, you'd be fine. Because you've got the #31 spot as well, you would then be able to either addtwo of those RBs for early depth, or snag yet another fantastic WR as your #2, like Wayne, D-Jax, Chambers, etc.

Edited by yo mama

Haven't put in my time yet. I'm 30yrs old and have a job.

As am I. Thogh, as a newbie here you wouldn't know that was a sarcastic remark coming from me... gotta remember to put in the pappropriate graemlin in future.

In looking at the 10-team mocks that were done, it is probably safer to go RB-RB and fill in with mid level WRs, but that likely won't build a championship caliber team as you are getting the late end of the RB run and the late end of the WR run. Going RB and WR with a Steve Smith or Chad Johnson type guy gives you a leg up on the #1 WR spot, and then for a #2 RB a guy like Chester Taylor, Julus Jones, Kevin Jones, Reuben Droughns as your #2 RB.

Going that route you get a very good RB1, a top notch WR1 and solid RB2 and WR2. Going RB-RB you don't end up with any top notch talent at any positon, but you are a bit safer at RB, which it sounds is very important to you.

As am I. Thogh, as a newbie here you wouldn't know that was a sarcastic remark coming from me... gotta remember to put in the pappropriate graemlin in future.

In looking at the 10-team mocks that were done, it is probably safer to go RB-RB and fill in with mid level WRs, but that likely won't build a championship caliber team as you are getting the late end of the RB run and the late end of the WR run. Going RB and WR with a Steve Smith or Chad Johnson type guy gives you a leg up on the #1 WR spot, and then for a #2 RB a guy like Chester Taylor, Julus Jones, Kevin Jones, Reuben Droughns as your #2 RB.

Going that route you get a very good RB1, a top notch WR1 and solid RB2 and WR2. Going RB-RB you don't end up with any top notch talent at any positon, but you are a bit safer at RB, which it sounds is very important to you.

Very wise advice here. Alot of FFers fall into the trap of believing that RBs are the key to a strong FF team. I proved a couple years back that having WR depth can also win a league. Especially since you start 3 of them. I had T.O., J. Walker, R. Wayne, and N. Burleson in 2004. Look at their stats for that year and you'll see why my WRs won the league. Of course we played with points per reception also.

Very wise advice here. Alot of FFers fall into the trap of believing that RBs are the key to a strong FF team. I proved a couple years back that having WR depth can also win a league. Especially since you start 3 of them. I had T.O., J. Walker, R. Wayne, and N. Burleson in 2004. Look at their stats for that year and you'll see why my WRs won the league. Of course we played with points per reception also.

I agree it is good advice. Maybe I should try something different this year. I mean I have been in this league for 5yrs and never won it. I was runner up one year. I just need RB depth. I could go RB/WR/RB/RB/WR/WR or RB/WR/RB/WR/RB/WR with my first 6 picks.

I think you can scratch both Jackson and Brown off your list, unless you are drafting with the dead.

Based on where you are drafting, you might want to read this:

http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=6870

and this:

http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=6897

then draft the Top RB on the board, and whoever you beleive is the top WR. By the time you pick again at 30/31, you still will get starting RB (knowing the other teams have taken 6-8 WRs, and 2-4 QBs).

And the fact that you draft August 28th should allow some time to determine the lead-dog in RBBC situations.

I drafted S. Jax this year and just pulled off a traded to get Brown for Reggie Wayne.

If those two are there, I would get them. I would take Rudi as a third choice and you might want to think about Lamont Jordan before McGahee and Westbrook.

If Jackson and R. Brown are both there at 10 and 11 that is what I would do if I drafted tomorrow. I have a few idiots in my league and am praying one of them takes Manning or S. Smith in the 1st 9 picks.. If 9 RB's go before I pick I don't know if either will be there.. Then what do I do? Rudi and Dom Davis? Cadillac?

I would go Rudi (very steady) and then Caddy for upside...

If you did have receptions I would draft Westbrook over D.Davis...

I have the 10 spot and will likely draft a WR in the 2nd round...if not you really do chase all the runs...and I think you will likely see more from C.Taylor than most are thinking.

That said, if someone drafts Manning and a Receiver...ahead of my, I might take the two running backs...because someone like S.Jackson has fallen and I would pick him up in addition to Rudi...I want Rudi because you can trust him.

My problem is I'm really tempted by Manning (we give equal points to all TDs) and I cannot afford to have Manning drop to someone in the early to mid positions and if I don't grab he just might fall to one of the guys with the top 3 picks who can then have best RB, best QB and a solid 2nd Tier runner...ouch.

I would go Rudi (very steady) and then Caddy for upside...

If you did have receptions I would draft Westbrook over D.Davis...

I have the 10 spot and will likely draft a WR in the 2nd round...if not you really do chase all the runs...and I think you will likely see more from C.Taylor than most are thinking.

That said, if someone drafts Manning and a Receiver...ahead of my, I might take the two running backs...because someone like S.Jackson has fallen and I would pick him up in addition to Rudi...I want Rudi because you can trust him.

My problem is I'm really tempted by Manning (we give equal points to all TDs) and I cannot afford to have Manning drop to someone in the early to mid positions and if I don't grab he just might fall to one of the guys with the top 3 picks who can then have best RB, best QB and a solid 2nd Tier runner...ouch.

As noted in the other thread where you mentioned this, 6 pt passing TDs do very little for overall QB values. Manning does not separate himself enough from the QBs that can be had in the 5th and later compared to the hit you will be taking at RB or WR by passing on one of them with the pick, especially in a ten teamer.

I think you can scratch both Jackson and Brown off your list, unless you are drafting with the dead.

Based on where you are drafting, you might want to read this:

http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=6870

and this:

http://www.fanball.com/buzz/article.cfm?id=6897

then draft the Top RB on the board, and whoever you beleive is the top WR. By the time you pick again at 30/31, you still will get starting RB (knowing the other teams have taken 6-8 WRs, and 2-4 QBs).

And the fact that you draft August 28th should allow some time to determine the lead-dog in RBBC situations.

Thanks Swammi! Those were two great articles. I have always been a RB whore in the 1st two rounds. I just may have to go RB/WR at 10 and 11. THen come back and go RB/WR at 30/31.... There is definitely a lot of uncertainty surrounding just about everybody not named LT, LJ, or Alexander. I actually think Chester Taylor could be great this season and I am pretty sure he will be there at 30.

A few thoughts:

- Every mock draft I have seen has Gates going early to mid third round. Even in a 10-team league, I doubt he will make it back to you. Somebody else will snag him with their 3rd pick.

- I've made the mistake before of going into a draft with the pre-determined notion that I will start RB-RB no matter what. Stay open-minded. If the first 9 guys pick RB's, I think you almost have to pick at least one WR, or you'll basically be "chasing" your draftmates for the rest of the draft. However, if you pick the next best two RB's, then all of the tier one WR's go before it comes back to you (as well as Gates and Manning), and suddenly you have no shot at the best player at ANY position. Picking the best WR out there will give you an advantage over everyone else at that position, plus it will probably start a run on WR's, which will lessen the number of RB's taken before your pick #30.

- This draft is deep at RB, and you can get some quality backs with picks 30 and 31. Heck, you can get RB depth with picks 50/51 and pick two backs from one of the RBBC teams (NE, CHI, TEN, maybe even IND).

You're right....RB depth is key in any draft. But, sometimes it's the decision to change slightly from your norm that may make the difference between a championship and just a contender.

I would break tradition and take S Smith at pick #10 and one RB, this starts a run at WR , and DECENT RBs will be available when the draft returns to your spot in the 3rd ! Why not START the position run at WR, rather than trying to decide which 2 among RBs to take , all with some nagging question marks ! I had the late pick in our 10-teamer last year, and chose 2 RBs, unfortunately JJones and DD, and this cost me any chance at winning the league , because of the injury concerns , etc ! Wish I wouldve gone with at least one top-tier WR there ! :smash:Especially, since we start 3 WRs, as well !

Edited by wildbluefan

I would break tradition and take S Smith at pick #10 and one RB, this starts a run at WR , and DECENT RBs will be available when the draft returns to your spot in the 3rd ! Why not START the position run at WR, rather than trying to decide which 2 among RBs to take , all with some nagging question marks ! I had the late pick in our 10-teamer last year, and chose 2 RBs, unfortunately JJones and DD, and this cost me any chance at winning the league , because of the injury concerns , etc ! Wish I wouldve gone with at least one top-tier WR there ! :smash:Especially, since we start 3 WRs, as well !

I agree with the WR move at the 10th pick. I've been pondering my move should I have to draft this low in my new league. If you graph the top 20 point scorers from each position last year one can easily see that the two top WRs easily outscored the 10th and below RBs. In fact, after the top five RBs the others seem to level off. I say go with the two best WRs and grab another RB later (ie J. Jones). IMO

I agree with the WR move at the 10th pick. I've been pondering my move should I have to draft this low in my new league. If you graph the top 20 point scorers from each position last year one can easily see that the two top WRs easily outscored the 10th and below RBs. In fact, after the top five RBs the others seem to level off. I say go with the two best WRs and grab another RB later (ie J. Jones). IMO

DMD and I tried this at WCOFF last year and it leaves you scrambling way too much at RB. Also, it doesn't really matter that the top two WRs outscored the 10th RB or so, the more important and relevant question is by how much will the 10th/11th RBs outscore the RBs you can get in the 3rd/4th round compared to how much the top two WRs will outscore the WRs you can get in the 3rd/4th round. And this all assumes you are able to accurately pick who the top to WRs will be this year. This year, as RB does seem to have some depth and with some luck in picking right out of a few of the potential RBBC situations, I am becoming a big proponent of going RB/WR with the first two picks if you pick 10th in a ten teamer, so that you do get a difference maker at a position rather than trailing at each position, but then focusing in on getting some handcuffs throughout the draft to protect your RB picks.

We've had a few threads since yesterday that have come to this discussion.