[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you like watching epics....

cliaz

I just finished watching "Kingdom of Heaven" and I think it is a freaking awesome movie. I went into it not expecting much and was floor with the acting and the pace of the movie.

This movie also proved to me that Orlando Bloom can be a lead and do it well.

Kudos Ridley Scott.

Wow. Completely disagree. This movie isn't a steaming pile of crap or anything, however, anyone looking for something close to Gladiator will be sorely disappointed. Often dull, uninvolving, and fairly weak action for such a great director like Scott. It's acted well, but that's not enough to make this movie anything close to great IMO.

Once again, it's not bad, but not worthy of such praise.

Wow. Completely disagree. This movie isn't a steaming pile of crap or anything, however, anyone looking for something close to Gladiator will be sorely disappointed. Often dull, uninvolving, and fairly weak action for such a great director like Scott. It's acted well, but that's not enough to make this movie anything close to great IMO.

Completely agree. I usually love those types of films, and thought Kingdon of Heavean was awful. Scott mailed that one in, it was all over the place, and Bloom cannot carry a movie- see Elizabethtown.

I tend to disagree with your opinion on the movie but I can see how you would feel that way. I knew from the 1st 15 minutes that this wouldn't be a Gladiator style movie (which I also thought it was going to be.) and let the movie unfold onto me with a blank slate. I liked it a lot and will watch it again.

Completely agree. I usually love those types of films, and thought Kingdon of Heavean was awful. Scott mailed that one in, it was all over the place, and Bloom cannot carry a movie- see Elizabethtown.

I thought he did a fantastic job in this movie. Havne't seen Elizabethtown because...well it was a chick flick.

Edited by cliaz

i'm personally tired of hollywood's move to action flicks..... i like development and don't need for it be immediate. this movie didn't blow me away, but i thought it was very well done in an era of cloning.

i'm personally tired of hollywood's move to action flicks..... i like development and don't need for it be immediate. this movie didn't blow me away, but i thought it was very well done in an era of cloning.

My reason for not liking it that much wasn't because it lacked a lot of action (as perhaps advertised), but rather I felt it was uninvolving. I like a good epic, action or not, but this one fell short for other reasons.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Another vote for very enjoyable.

It does help to know the history of the time.

Interesting backstory: the producer and director were using a nonfiction history book as a reference when writing the screenplay and developing the story. They pretty much based the whole story on one chapter of the book and most of the broader storya nd characters are pretty historically accurate. The author of the book went after them for copyright infringement.

Interesting backstory: the producer and director were using a nonfiction history book as a reference when writing the screenplay and developing the story. They pretty much based the whole story on one chapter of the book and most of the broader storya nd characters are pretty historically accurate. The author of the book went after them for copyright infringement.

On a related topic, have you read The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry or The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury? Somewhat in the DaVinci mode. Berry's is a much better read, but both are enjoyable.

Why does everyone compare epic films to Galdiator? IMO Gladiator was just a rip off of Braveheart. Oh, and Kingdom of Heaven was a ::D for me.

On a related topic, have you read The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry or The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury? Somewhat in the DaVinci mode. Berry's is a much better read, but both are enjoyable.

I am about to start reading "the Last Templar".

Why does everyone compare epic films to Galdiator? IMO Gladiator was just a rip off of Braveheart. Oh, and Kingdom of Heaven was a ::D for me.

In this case, Gladiator was by the same director so I think comparisons are more then fair. Also, Gladiator, like Braveheart, won a best picture Oscar so I think the qualifications are there to make the associations.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I think going in I had high expectations being a Ridley Scott flick- and was totally disappointed. It was all over the place, and just was a mess. One of Scott's poorer efforts IMO- just not well done at all. nothing to do with the action or lack of.

I think going in I had high expectations being a Ridley Scott flick- and was totally disappointed. It was all over the place, and just was a mess. One of Scott's poorer efforts IMO- just not well done at all. nothing to do with the action or lack of.

i think it's very related. seems that you had specific expectations about the film. i also think hollywood plays a role in "what is considered good" and it seems that action/fighting is often the core of that.

i really just took this as a snapshot in history (understanding that it wasn't necessarily going to be 100% accurate). generally speaking, action/war flicks bore me because it's the same formula repeated. to me this movie told a good story and showed me some character development. plus i'm a fiend for the middle ages, so a little siege warfare isn't too bad for me.

OK, now THAT's funny. :D:D

Oh, BTW, I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of?'s got a ticket for you, Mel.

On a related topic - drove PCH recently and saw the following sign: "Now leaving Mel-ibu"

(He allegedly said he 'owned' it when threatening the arresting officers. funny stuff....)

this movie can't be compared to something like Braveheart...it's just not the same type of movie...

it was an original and done really well...

also...did anyone else know that Ed Norton played the Leper...the king with the mask and shit??....

• 4 years later...
i really just took this as a snapshot in history (understanding that it wasn't necessarily going to be 100% accurate). generally speaking, action/war flicks bore me because it's the same formula repeated. to me this movie told a good story and showed me some character development. plus i'm a fiend for the middle ages, so a little siege warfare isn't too bad for me.

I just watched the Director's Cut (which the consensus I've been able to determine is that the DC CRUSHES the theatrical release).

Can't say I like it as much as Braveheart, but it's pretty darn good. Bloom, as always, is a bit of a "just there" guy, but there is so much good stuff going on around him he isn't really needed to carry the movie. Plus, you've got RIDLEY freakin' SCOTT directing - worth the 3 hrs invested if only for the ambush in the forest and the siege of Jerusalem.

Definite "recommend" if you like your movies medieval and epic.