[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Choosing my draft slot

msaint

We just had our lottery to choose draft slots, meaning we draw names out of a hat, 1-12 and then guys can either keep the # they got (based on descending order 1-12), or move up/down based on available slots. i.e. #1 team goes first, can stay at #1 or take any other slot. Then #2 chooses...if #1 has moved down, he can move up to #1, stay put, or take any avail slot below, etc etc.

I drew #8. Now, I could end up keeping #8 based on what 1-7 do...OR, I could move up to get a better (conceivably) RB1 or down a couple slots to get a better 2nd round pick. So I guess I'm debating between....

* Moving down: Is there any real difference between a RB at #8 and a RB at, say, #10? My gut says that if I have a choice b/t #8 and a lower slot I shoiuld move down because there's not a helluva big gap between SJax, Lamont, Ronnie, Rudi, Caddy, all of whom could go in the 7-10 range. This might be my best option.

* Moving up: If I have the chance to move up to 4-6, would you? #4 intrigues me because I LOVE Portis this year -- hear he might be catching more out of backfield, too -- and he could be had at #4. So, is someone like Portis/Edge/Tiki at #4 that much better than SJax/Ronnie/Lamont at #8, esp. in a PPR league?

* Staying put: I might get SJax/Lamont/Ronnie at #7 and then possibly come back with Westbrook...again, a PPR league and Ronnie/Westbrook would be a nice start.

So many possibilities....thanks for any input. :D

I like the idea of moving up if you can get Portis. Otherwise I would be more than happy to stay where you are and take Brown or SJax, I personally prefer Brown. I like Jordan in a ppr, but if you could nap Brown with #7-8 and then get Westbrook on the way back that would be a great start. I am not a huge Westbrook fan but in a ppr league he can be huge with catch numbers similar to #2 Wr's.

I would only move up if you can get Portis.

I would move down because like you said there isn't much difference between the RB's listed, although I move Rudi down a few in a ppr because he doesn't catch the ball.

Staying put works also if you can land Ronnie Brown.

With all of that said I didn't answer your question, but good luck.

If I had my choice of slots here is the way I'd rank them:

1st option - 1-4 (LJ, LT, SA, CP) studs with no question marks

2nd option - 8-10 (RB, SJax, Caddy, Rudi) good value no quesion marks and fast turnaround for 2nd pick

3rd option - 11-12 (Lamont, DD or Willis) fast turn around top WR

4th option - 5-7 (Tiki, Edge, RB, SJax) pretty equal value to 2nd option with later turn around round 2 pick

So right now, you are sitting in my 2nd option but have to wait to see what 1-7 do before you can make the call.

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

I would target to move down to 9 or 10. As you said, there is not a huge gap between 6 and 10 this year, and obviously a higher second round pick is better. If you really like Portis though, go on your hunch. However, imo I would rather stay put then move up to 4

Given the flexibility, I would want to be as close to the top of the draft as you can get... my reasoning, because I think the 3rd round is such a key this year... 3rd round is where many people are going to pick up their #2 RB. I don't think there are as many quality #2 RB's available this season due to there being a lot of RBBC / handcuff situations.

I'd want #4 or #5 (or higher, but presumably you won't be able to go higher). Then you take RB, WR, RB.

This is my order of preference:

1 (time in-between picks takes for EVER!)

4 (only because I like Portis)

12 (I like back to back picks, time in-between picks takes for EVER!)

As you can tell, I prefer to be at either end of the draft if possible. Picks 5 through 9 are my least favorite.

this should go in the advice forum you noob ... :D

edited to add: i try to get the earliest pick i can ...

I know, I forced this one in...but it's also sort of a general strategy question, no? maybe? kinda? :D

Edited by msaint

This is my order of preference:

1 (time in-between picks takes for EVER!)

4 (only because I like Portis)

12 (I like back to back picks, time in-between picks takes for EVER!)

As you can tell, I prefer to be at either end of the draft if possible. Picks 5 through 9 are my least favorite.

+1

If I was to pick after the 4th slot. I'd like to be 10, 11, 12... I think you can get a better 1-2 punch from there.

Just my :D

yeah, maybe moving to 10 (or even 9) would be better than 8....get a more solid 2nd rounder and don't have to wait as long between picks as 11, 12.

You're the published farking expert here. What the hell you need us for?

Oh wait. I read the book. You indeed need our help. :D

CHief, I'm a giver -- I like to throw the masses here a bone every now and then, make them feel smarter than they really are. :D....mostly the people in the Kansas City area. :D