[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should I do the trade?

AtomicCEO

Thanks in advance. I'm new to this site.

In a keeper draft where we are limited to holding players for 3 years, I have the #2 pick and the #8 pick.

Performance scoring (1pt/10yds)... QBs get 5 pt TD... 1pt per reception... Start 2 RBs.

With the players that were kept, these are the top 10 guys available (according to DMD):

1. Tomlinson

2. Alexander

3. Portis

4. Edge

5. Rudi

6. McGahee

7. Peyton

8. Holt

9. C. Johnson

10. Westbrook

Now, at my position at #2, I'm obviously going to get one of the top tier RBs...

but, the guy at #3 wants to trade up and give me the #3 and #10 pick for my #2 pick.

Should I do this trade? I'd move from the #2 spot where I am assured of getting LT or SA, and one of the other top 8 guys... to a place where I'd have Portis and 2 more of the 4-10 guys? We are guaranteed to see some boneheaded moves in this first round, and I don't expect it to be cookie-cutter order.

We can only keep 2 people heading into next year. That's important too.

That old battle... depth vs. stud.

I think I'm leaning toward not doing it, only because of the keeper thing... but I'd sure like to win THIS year.

Edited by AtomicCEO

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks in advance. I'm new to this site.

New to the site eh? Says you joined in 2001 and have posted over 20,000 times.

:D

Anyway, I would do the trade. I think Portis will have a gr8 year and you'll more than make up for the difference by getting a top WR with #10 pick.

IMO, there's a HUGH drop in the RB depth once Alexander, LT and LJ are off the board. So, that basically means that getting the #3 pick isn't going to do you any good, unless some tool doesn't take LT or SA with the #1 pick. Therefor, I would not make that trade. Did that make sense?

And welcome newbie-Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

IMO, there's a HUGH drop in the RB depth once Alexander, LT and LJ are off the board. So, that basically means that getting the #3 pick isn't going to do you any good, unless some tool doesn't take LT or SA with the #1 pick. Therefor, I would not make that trade. Did that make sense?

And welcome newbie-Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

But....would that not be out weighed by the extra person pick up?

I know Hugh is the resident advice icon but I would make the deal. That additional first rounder is worth more than the drop from LT/SA to Portis. I'm assuming you aren't having to forego a pick in another round (you don't have a fixed number of draft selections).

But....would that not be out weighed by the extra person pick up?

Well, as I see it, he currently has the #2 and #8. If he gives up #2, he has the #3, #8 and #10. IMO, with the #2, you get the sure thing at RB, which imo there are 3 of (obviously there's no such thing as a sure thing, but they're as close as you're going to get) in LT, LJ, and SA. I would rather have one of those guys and a tier 2 guy like Edge or Willis, than 3 tier 2 guys. That's why I wouldn't do the trade.

If you take a look at who is ranked as the top ten available, is the extra pick actually worth it? Look at the names at 8-10. You would need someone to take someone off this list early in order for this trade to give you any more value.

Look at your scoring system and see what the point difference between LT/SA and Portis last year. Then look at the difference between Westbrook and who you can get in the second. If not making the trade leaves you scoring more points then you don't do it. I am all about trying to forcast the year, but you have to also look at the last couple of years and based on that having LT/SA is money in the bank.

That's exactly where I disagree. But obviously to each his own. :D

Last year by our scoring (points per week):

23.5 SA

22.2 LT

19.5 Edge (I do not expect him to repeat this)

15.8 Portis

17.0 Westbrook (in 13 games)

I mention Westbrook to show how rec pts affect our scoring.

7-8 points a week does seem like a lot. People are projecting better things for Portis... but I'm not sure I can make up the difference with a better WR.

Last year by our scoring (points per week):

23.5 SA

22.2 LT

19.5 Edge (I do not expect him to repeat this)

15.8 Portis

17.0 Westbrook (in 13 games)

I mention Westbrook to show how rec pts affect our scoring.

7-8 points a week does seem like a lot. People are projecting better things for Portis... but I'm not sure I can make up the difference with a better WR.

If the drop off from Westbrook to the guy you can get in the second round is less than 3 points Portis-LT diff. then you stay put. If The drop off from Westbrook to the guy you can grab in the second is 4+ points you make the trade, because then you get two solid RB in your scoring system and a top WR. This puts you at an advantage. See if you can trade your 8th round for his 6th round as well, it doesn't seem like much but, tilts the trade a little more to you.

P.S. This makes even more sense if you keep Portis 3 years, Alexander might be on the decline by then.

Edited by lynch19

I normally dont like to be mean to people, but come on Hugh meatball how can you leave Portis out of your Top 3. He may be #1 with the off season additions Washington made. Nothing pisses me off more than when people base their decisions SOLELY on last season.

Mix and match, a little of the past, mixed with any changes in talent, coaching, or schedule, then adjust accordingly. LT and Portis are #1 and #2 then theres a HUGH drop off to LJ and SA IMO ! ! ! !

Portis won't be top 5, probably not top 10, but good luck with that. :D

Do you even watch football?

LJ loses half his offense and most of his coaches, and the offense left around him averages about 32 years old. The Skins added Lloyd and Randel El, and guru Al Saunders to coach the offense. How can you not make a case for Portis improving while Johnson declines?

Nope, I don't watch, it gives me a headache.

Did you say Lloyd and Randel El? :D

Keep talking, your doing great. :D

um, this is wrong. i hope you are just going for effect here because you are disagreeing with every fantasy football publication and web site in existence.

are you trying to mind fok me over the internets?

Now your going to try and tell me those arent upgrades?

Lloyd is the circus catch king who makes a slendid #2 WR. Randel El is a decent #3 but is more valueable to Portis as a gadget play/return man. He can get Portis good field position, he can maybe throw a TD to Portis or some crazy candied yams. Anyhow i cant see how you could say they arent upgrades over David Patten and Taylor Jacobs!

I find it hard to take any of your player advice seriously while you have Ricky Williams listed on your roster in your sigline.

Hugh, great insight here. I love the fact that you have laid out your case that Portis busts. You go into such detail with your arguements. So poetic, so graceful. You have a definate gift. Maybe you can replace Katie Koric on the Today show because of your great passion.

What a joke, not doing this deal is the worst advice I've heard on this site. LT and SA while huge, also have high odometer readings. If you take LT and he goes bad you have one solid player to fall back on. If you take Portis and he goes bad you have two to fall back on.

Hugh next time you blast a player that many like (ie. Portis) do us all a favor and list a reason or two so we can attempt to see the methods of your madness. Hugh, unfortunatly your credibiblity on the board has taken huge hit with drivel in the above quote. It's a damn shame.

I know he's not the most popular guy around here but I give mpulera credit because he a least will provide reasons that attempt to back up what he says. Which is more than I can say with Hugh.

Hugh, unfortunatly your credibiblity on the board has taken huge hit with drivel in the above quote. It's a damn shame.

he had no credibility to start with ... :D

relax here chuck, methinks hugh is just yanking mpul's chain. if he seriously believes that portis is not positioned to be a top ten RB this season, then he's gone mad, which is, of course entirely possible. in that case, we should just have sympathy for his condition, not disdain.

Hugh, unfortunatly your credibiblity on the board has taken huge hit with drivel in the above quote. It's a damn shame.

Credibility? What do you know about credibility? If you've spent any time here whatsoever, you know exactly the time and effort I put into answering advice questions throughout the course of the season. If you've read a bunch of Pulera's posts, you'd also know with what you're dealing with. I choose who I will waste my time answering questions for, and he's not one of them. And you honestly think I give a flying f*ck about what you think of my credibility? Please. Give me a break.

Credibility? What do you know about credibility? If you've spent any time here whatsoever, you know exactly the time and effort I put into answering advice questions throughout the course of the season. If you've read a bunch of Pulera's posts, you'd also know with what you're dealing with. I choose who I will waste my time answering questions for, and he's not one of them. And you honestly think I give a flying f*ck about what you think of my credibility? Please. Give me a break.

as long as you still like me ... :D

i may need your help this year because i've entered too many leagues.

All quotes aside, I like Portis this year to be a top level guy. He finished the 2005 season with 5 100+ yard games and was a monster by our league scoring system...which is fairly basic...down the stretch. I expect him to pick up where he left off as he (and the team) was getting used to the new system.

Make the trade, LT and Alexander are great players but I think the added pick at #10 would give you the extra "high level" guy to make up for the drop off to Portis...which I don't think will be that significant.