[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

#5 overall pick

shotdown55

I have the #5 overall pick...who do i take between Edgerin James, Tiki Barber, and Clinton Portis?

keep in mind...Edge has a lot of targets around him which may take his touches.

...Tiki doesnt get the ball on the goal line...they give it to Jacobs

and Portis just suffered an injury

thanks in advance

SJax is a legit option, if it is PPR Tiki is clear choice, and it is too early to be overly concerned about the Portis injury, so he has to stay up there in the rankings.

You could always do a search as I believe this has been discussed several times over.

I am struggling with this decision as well. I had originally anticipated that LJ, LT, SA and CP would all be off the board so my decision was between Barber, Brown and Jackson

But now with Portis ailing I'm thinking he may not be taken 4th.

I've pretty much ruled Portis out at 5th, IMO there are enough other good options there so that I don't have to take the risk that his shoulder will be a nagging injury all year.

That leaves me considering the two of Barber, Jackson and Brown that don't get taken at 4.

I'd probably go Barber if he's there. If he's not then I'm leaning toward Brown.

Sounds like you don't really want any of the three and I don't blame you. I would rather pick up Steven Jackson or Ronnie Brown. Hell even Rudi Johnson would be a better pick.

I have #5, and am coming around to that way of thinking. Although he doesn't get passes thrown his way, he's the only other guy besides the Top 3 that isn't working with a new coach or new team and has done it more than 1 year. 2 years running and he has 1500+ yards and 12 TDs each year.

His sked is tough though, at least based on last year's rankings, but it's a good way of getting a nice piece of a solid offense without having to gamble directly on the passing game. In fact, if it struggles it's hard to say if it would help (more carries) or hurt (more defenders in the box).

I think there's a lot of positives to be said for his situation.....1st rounders should never be gambles. Brown and Caddy didn't go a FULL season, and SJax gets nicked up a lot.

I have #5, and am coming around to that way of thinking. Although he doesn't get passes thrown his way, he's the only other guy besides the Top 3 that isn't working with a new coach or new team and has done it more than 1 year. 2 years running and he has 1500+ yards and 12 TDs each year.

His sked is tough though, at least based on last year's rankings, but it's a good way of getting a nice piece of a solid offense without having to gamble directly on the passing game. In fact, if it struggles it's hard to say if it would help (more carries) or hurt (more defenders in the box).

I think there's a lot of positives to be said for his situation.....1st rounders should never be gambles. Brown and Caddy didn't go a FULL season, and SJax gets nicked up a lot.

15 games last year and 14 games his rookie year? With 20+ carries/game this year this kid will be outstanding and top 5 in next year's redrafts IMO. Tiki is the obvious choice @ #5 this year despite the T.V interview where he eluded the idea that he could be the best back in fantasy drafts. I believe that was his attempt at trying to be modest and below the radar. Had that been Chad Johnson, you'd hear "Pick me I'm the greatest. Who can contain 85?" Tiki is not that guy. He knows we aren't dumb enough to consider him a sleeper. If you're scared of Tiki due to the interview or goaline carries then SJacks is really a no brainer IMO.

I would definetly take Tiki at the #5 spot. I've had the injury that portis sustained and its not something where the pain just goes away after it pops back in. It will definetly bother him throughout the season.

I think Tiki is the best choice here.

Edited by NoFatchix

15 games last year and 14 games his rookie year? With 20+ carries/game this year this kid will be outstanding and top 5 in next year's redrafts IMO. Tiki is the obvious choice @ #5 this year despite the T.V interview where he eluded the idea that he could be the best back in fantasy drafts. I believe that was his attempt at trying to be modest and below the radar. Had that been Chad Johnson, you'd hear "Pick me I'm the greatest. Who can contain 85?" Tiki is not that guy. He knows we aren't dumb enough to consider him a sleeper. If you're scared of Tiki due to the interview or goaline carries then SJacks is really a no brainer IMO.

Well, it's a hard stat to find, but you're counting his game starts. He has left at least 3 games early each year, meaning he doesn't finish 1/4 of his games. That's what I meant by getting nicked. He's left in the 2nd and 3rd quarters a half dozen times in 2 seasons. That decreases value, and demonstrates he is capable of doing it again. Rudi finishes his games, and isn't in a new system, so I'm placing him above SJax.

Well, it's a hard stat to find, but you're counting his game starts. He has left at least 3 games early each year, meaning he doesn't finish 1/4 of his games. That's what I meant by getting nicked. He's left in the 2nd and 3rd quarters a half dozen times in 2 seasons. That decreases value, and demonstrates he is capable of doing it again. Rudi finishes his games, and isn't in a new system, so I'm placing him above SJax.

Point taken. My only concern would be Chris Perry stealing a little Glory and Palmer not yet taking hits. SJacks doesn't have a Chris Perry caliber guy to steal the spotlight (Tony Fisher) and also has a better schedule IMO. Both guys should be very good but I have to give the edge to SJacks this season. I'll enjoy watching them play this season just check my sig. :D

I would rank them as Tiki, Portis, then Edge.

Even with Jacobs getting the goal line touches I believe Tiki will still produce well. Every year I think it's time for "reality" to set in and Tiki to start not producing as well. So I'm going to keep backing him until that time comes.

I was very high on Portis prior to the injury but now with the mini-question mark I'm bumping him behind Tiki on my rankings. Mostly because we won't be able to see how the injury will impact his overall performance.

I believe Edge will be strong overall but just a step below Tiki and Portis.

Good luck to you.

No PPR/TD Heavy = Jax,Rudi,Brown,Edge. If all TD's are worth 6 I may even consider Peyton.

I agree...a no PPR/TD heavy league has me looking hard at SJax or Ronnie. They are featured backs who will not give up carries at the goal line. I'm not as down on Edge as many, but the #5 slot would be too early for me to grab him.

I am a 2005 Tiki Owner, and still have nightmares of him jogging to the sidelines in the red zone.

I am also a Big Blue Fan, but I dont think I could go thru that again.

What about C. Williams? Anyone think he is worthy of a 5 pick?

Later

Jim

I bet those 2,390 total yards made those nightmares go away pretty quickly.