[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ok..Reggie Bush is a bust

LooGie

You're an idiot, rationalize that all you want, but the saints are not playing fantasy football.

I may be an idiot, but I'm an idiot that outrushed your boy Reggie by 5 yards on 11 fewer carries Sunday.

Now he IS a good diversion, I will most certainly agree, but so is the play action pass and that doesn't cost you a number 2 overall draft pick, and 2 yards and a loss of a down each time you use it.

Hey maybe he'll straighten out, he's got athletic ability and that's obvious, but thus far, he's been a bust.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Payton's views of Bush's production

Payton: Bush bashers off base

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

By Jimmy Smith

His numbers might not be as eye-popping as hoped for the second pick in the NFL draft, but rookie tailback Reggie Bush is making a huge impact on New Orleans' on-field success midway through the season, Saints Coach Sean Payton said Monday.

"I think he's doing fine," Payton said. "I see the 'Reggie Meter' that's in the newspaper and all that other stuff. It's silly.

"The meter is the team. We're 6-2. The expectation level on him is no different than anyone else on this team. We're winning football games. And he's a big part of why we're winning. Whether it's in the special teams aspect, the passing game. . . . I'm happy with the way this guy is playing."

Payton said the Buccaneers presented some difficult defensive fronts against which to run Sunday, and both Bush and Deuce McAllister were affected by that. The Saints rushed for 49 yards on 35 carries in the 31-14 victory.

But Payton credited Bush with a critical blitz pickup on Bucs defensive back Ronde Barber on one of the long touchdown passes from Drew Brees to Devery Henderson.

"What I appreciate are guys that put the team ahead of any of their individual accomplishments. And sometimes it's often difficult to do when you're the second player drafted," Payton said. "People want to know what's going on with Reggie Bush after you just finish winning 30-something to whatever and go to 6-2.

"I'm excited about him. I get as excited about him stepping up in a pressure situation in a dog and blitz standpoint, blocking the right guy and we throw a touchdown to Devery Henderson. That's exciting to me. I know it's not as exciting to you guys, but it's exciting to me. Otherwise, that guy hits the quarterback, and we never throw the ball."

Reggie is not the feature back, so I hardly consider him a bust. If he was rushing for 40 yards on 25 carries week in week out, maybe. But that isnt the case.

i do have to agree here, however, I'm merely looking at his YPC. I'm sure he won't continue to be a bust, I'm sure he'll learn this offense and not only that, but learn to be a bit more patient and he'll start to bust long ones. The ol' "Try for 4 and get 40" type thing.

but from a #2 overall RB pick, who was averaging almost 10 ypc in college, his YPC is pretty pathetic.

Yeah, some idiot burned their 1.01 pick on him in a keeper league I'm in. :D

same thing happened in one of my leagues then he drafted Culpepper with his next pick. He is last place in the league with no wins.

Reggie actually has produced more yds than you might think. Colston has around 700 Deuce around 600 then it's Bush around 500 yds. The only thing he's lacking is the TD production, however it's not like the Saints arn't getting those TD's since they are rated one of the top offenses in the league.

I would guess that based upon all the fanfare that Bush had when coming out in the draft, that most fans would expect better than 25 rushing yards per game and a 2.5 ypc with 0 rushing TDs and another 40 receiving yards per game with 0 receiving TDs. This guy was supposed to be the best RB to come out of college in the past decade, after all.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I would guess that based upon all the fanfare that Bush had when coming out in the draft, that most fans would expect better than 25 rushing yards per game and a 2.5 ypc with 0 rushing TDs and another 40 receiving yards per game with 0 receiving TDs. This guy was supposed to be the best RB to come out of college in the past decade, after all.

I'm pretty sure I've got a good feel on what most fans expect and that is just to win games. As long as we have been the NFLs punch-dummy we couldn't care less what Bush's numbers are on paper as long as we are winning.

Arguably one of the most talked about successful rookie RB this season is Maroney and he has about 50 more yards than Bush this season.

I'm pretty sure I've got a good feel on what most fans expect and that is just to win games. As long as we have been the NFLs punch-dummy we couldn't care less what Bush's numbers are on paper as long as we are winning.

Here, here.

That's all that should matter to NO fans. However, this board does cover a bit broader spectrum...

:D

Arguably one of the most talked about successful rookie RB this season is Maroney and he has about 50 more yards than Bush this season.

If you've seen both guys play, you'd know why.

Wait until D Williams is back & healthy. Bush will be put even further on the back burner.

Here, here.

That's all that should matter to NO fans. However, this board does cover a bit broader spectrum...

:D

I assumed you were talking about Saints fans...Bush fans in general then? I would guess that probably most of the Bush fans will tell you what you've been hearing. 8 games does not a career make and IMO it's a bit "silly" to call him a bust already. Fantasy, possibly...but that only depends on your personal expectations(you meaning the fantasy owner). If you didn't listen to what the people in New Orleans were saying about how Deuce was still the primary back & Bush's touches would be limited & would mostly come by receptions then you are getting what you deserve.

Edited by rajncajn

Fantasy, possibly...but that only depends on your personal expectations(you meaning the fantasy owner). If you didn't listen to what the people in New Orleans were saying about how Deuce was still the primary back & Bush's touches would be limited & would mostly come by receptions then you are getting what you deserve.

That's definitely a fair point -- I think a lot of the "haters" own him in one or more leagues. :D

ALL real football fans know it's too early to call ANY rookie a bust after a single season -- much less a half-season. Maybe it's harder for Reggie to adjust to the speed of the NFL, since he was so used to relying on his speed in college. Who knows? Either way, it's definitely possible that he rebounds and has a nice career.

The problem, though, is twofold:

1. No matter how you slice it, Bush has unequivocally underperformed THIS year. I mean, we all knew he'd draw some defensive attention before he ever took his first snap...but NONE of the Reggie-lovers would have guessed he'd be under 3 yards per carry through Week 9. Seriously -- that number is disappointing regardless of all the other factors.

2. As the 2nd overall pick, Bush isn't supposed to be a just a guy who distracts defenders. He's a guy who's supposed to make IMPACT plays for his team on a consistent basis. How many of those has he had this year? A handful? Obviously, the punt return TD was HUGE, and apparently, according to Payton, Bush has miraculously done his job in pass protection. :D

Bust? Not yet, but as the 2nd overall pick AND the most hyped rookie of all time, he'll have to make the Pro Bowl (as a RB) a few times to avoid that label.

And one more thing -- I'd just to reiterate that I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the Saints team and EXTREMELY happy for the fans in the Gulf Coast. However, I think it's an injustice every time somebody claims Reggie Bush is the reason the Saints offense has been clicking. Payton has done an AMAZING job, it's unreal how well Brees is playing after a shoulder injury, the O-linemen and defenders are playing their asses off, and Colston is on a freaking record-setting pace for rookie receivers. Bush's contribution registers below ALL of those things.

Reggie is not the feature back, so I hardly consider him a bust. If he was rushing for 40 yards on 25 carries week in week out, maybe. But that isnt the case.

Reggie Bush		  |  8 |   80   200   2.5   0  |   47   318   6.8   0 |Deuce McAllister	 |  8 |  111   487   4.4   5  |   17   109   6.4   0 |

Averaging significantly fewer YPC than McAllister - and their per-game carries work out to 10 for Bush, 14 for McAllister. ZERO tds from scrimmage.

That evidence looks pretty damning to me - if Sean Payton is happy with him, great. If his impact goes beyond his actual numbers, I don't doubt that. But to all eyes, Reggie Bush is falling far short of the hype he generated coming into the league. And that isn't his fault but it's the big story.