[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

America's Team

Sgt. Ryan

Coach Parcells finally understands his 3-4 defense is not geting pressure on the QB, and leaving its CBs and safeties in coverage too long. So Parcells is scrapping the 3-4 as the primary defense this week, for the more productive pass rushing 4-3. This move is also suppose to put Roy Williams closer to the line of scrimmage like he was used his first 2 years in the league, instead of back in deep coverage. Dallas may even shift Henry to some over the top coverage at FS, like a rover, on obvious passing downs, and have 2 LB and Roy playing some nickel LB, also putting A Glenn on the lesser Wr in a 2 Wr scheme.

As a Cowboy fan, Ive been screaming this since Greg Ellis got hurt. Dallas has been exposed deep, because they choose to play press with their Cb's, and let Wr go to the next level, their safeties who are inferior defenders. This is fine, if the pass rush is getting to the Qb, as bumping the WR off the line of scrimmage, and covering him for the first 8 yards, passing to the S can be very effective, if the Qb is running for his life in the pocker. But with no pass rush, it puts 2 Cb's in no mans land, and the Safeties to get exposed very deep.

I guess we will see on Sunday, if Dallas should have been playing the 4-3 all along.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I know they have played sme of this all season, but have gone mostely with a base 3-4. Don't you think this is desperate at this time of the season. The coordination of getting these guys to know where their gaps are and fewer LB to get to the holes can take a while. Plus, this means having to game plan at a level different than 16 games into the season and a potential playoff run.

I think they are just not running the stunts well and aren't getting pressure because the rush is too predictable, not a lot of looks for the O-line. I haven't seen alot of the Boys this year, but what I have seen does not look too complex.

Just my :D

Parcells has been stocking the shelves with players for the 3-4 though, be interesting to see how quickly and well they can switch back. The big play has killed Dallas all year long, just as it did last year.

I know they have played sme of this all season, but have gone mostely with a base 3-4. Don't you think this is desperate at this time of the season. I think it is, but they are getting killed on the deep play, and like Sarge said the Safties are weak and witht he CB's playing up its leaving them exposed. The coordination of getting these guys to know where their gaps are and fewer LB to get to the holes can take a while.Yes, but they are Pros and if they work on it the next two weeks I think it's the right move for them to make, the base 3-4 they were throwing out there wasn't working, getting worse if you ask me, look what NO did to them Plus, this means having to game plan at a level different than 16 games into the season and a potential playoff run.

I think they are just not running the stunts well and aren't getting pressure because the rush is too predictable, not a lot of looks for the O-line.That's part of it, and the other is their lineman just aren't that good I haven't seen alot of the Boys this year, but what I have seen does not look too complex.

Just my :D

I know they have played sme of this all season, but have gone mostely with a base 3-4. Don't you think this is desperate at this time of the season.

Desperate move? Yes. But deperate times call for desperate measures. They might as well try to mix it up b/c what they're doing now ain't working.

Desperate move? Yes. But deperate times call for desperate measures. They might as well try to mix it up b/c what they're doing now ain't working.

Im not saying this is the answer, but Im glad they are trying something. Obvious the last 3 weeks, what they were doing wasnt working.

Im not saying this is the answer, but Im glad they are trying something. Obvious the last 3 weeks, what they were doing wasnt working.

I think the problem is, if it WASN'T working, it should've been scrapped well before now. If it HAS been working for 13 weeks but fell apart, well, that makes it sound like the coaching staff is twitchy nervous.

It shouldn't be too hard for them to do this. Ware can be moved down to end, and be a great pass rusher. I believe he actually played end in College, and that was only two years ago. We forget, but this year is the first year that Dallas has used the 3-4, so it shouldn't be that hard for the veterans to go back to the 4-3 that they had always played under Zimmer prior to last year. Unfortunately I don't think this is the answer. As much as I like Roy Williams as a hitter, he is a horrible safety if he isn't blitzing, and with a young safety next to him back there, they have not had the confidence to blitz Roy and leave the rookie back there by himself. They are either need to start blitzing Roy every 3rd play, or find someone to replace him that actually has coverage skills.

They have been practicing both schemes significanlty. It is very obvious that Ellis was the key to the 34's success this year. When he was in the D got pressure and played very well. As soon as he went down, the production of the interior line went down and the pressure off the edges. Ware is solid but he get stoned too often by single blocks. He is still learning though.

Just goes to show how good Ellis was. Kind of like Strahan for the Giants, Ellis was the glue the kept the D together.

As far as the switch to the 4 3 goes. I don't think it should be much of a problem for us but I can see opposing teams having to figure us out all over again since they will have 16 weeks of one scheme and 1 week of the new one. That is if it works to stop the bleeding.

90+ yard drives for scores have got to stop or we can kiss any playoff damage goodbye. Good playoff defenses don't give up long drives and if they do they are very, very rare and some unlucky events would have had to take place along the way.

They Need to do something.... That Defense sucks bigtime. And I agree with the Ellis comment. When he went down any QB Pressure they were getting went with him.

It also looks like the perfect time to try it out. Open it up against a weak team like Detroit, and by the time they hit their 1st playoff game they will of had almost 3 weeks to refine it.