[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Comeback POY

msaint

Chad wins comeback player of the year, handily over Javon Walker, Brees, Palmer.

What, no votes for Vince Young?:D*

*disclaimer: Having had time to read posts and think about it, I fully admit that Young deserved the ROY. MJD blew up nicely, and Colston started strong, but Young, at the difficult QB spot, turned that team around (along with a surging defense). They had zero confidence in the QB posiition until he started rolling, and they followed him. Good for him, I say.

Pennington is an ok choice... I just think that Deuce McAllister's comeback is much more impressive, and that has been widely overlooked this season (probably because there are so many other positive stories coming out of NO this year).

Pennington rehabbed from two rotator cuff surgeries, which I understand no QB has ever done. He was essentially written off by the media and by the new coaching staff. Took a $6 million/year salary cut and accepted an incentive-laden contract just to remain on the team. Was put in, and won, an open competition for the QB job in trainng camp beating out 3 other players. Then, took a team that was expected to win 5 games and took them to 10 wins and the playoffs. A team with, as all you guys are so quick to point out, no big time offensive players, no running game, etc. All this with a "noodle" for an arm.

If Pennington didn't get this award, there should be no award.

Pennington rehabbed from two rotator cuff surgeries, which I understand no QB has ever done. He was essentially written off by the media and by the new coaching staff. Took a $6 million/year salary cut and accepted an incentive-laden contract just to remain on the team. Was put in, and won, an open competition for the QB job in trainng camp beating out 3 other players. Then, took a team that was expected to win 5 games and took them to 10 wins and the playoffs. A team with, as all you guys are so quick to point out, no big time offensive players, no running game, etc. All this with a "noodle" for an arm.

If Pennington didn't get this award, there should be no award.

I think that the case for Pennington is obviously a strong one (that's why he won it)... the only thing that really leaves a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth about this one, is that its my own personal opinion (not backed up by anything other than my own gut feeling) that Pennington kinda sucks.

I think that the case for Pennington is obviously a strong one (that's why he won it)... the only thing that really leaves a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth about this one, is that its my own personal opinion (not backed up by anything other than my own gut feeling) that Pennington kinda sucks.

He's never had a problem winning football games. What makes you think that he sucks?

...Pennington kinda sucks.

He doesn't suck.

He clearly has some physical shortcomings compared to other professional quarterbacks. The defense doesn't have to worry about any 15 yard out patterns. But he uses what he has very effectively. He has the smarts to call the plays at the line, audible out of plays, read coverages, etc. He rarely makes bad mistakes, doesn't take many sacks. He has the highest career completion percentage of any NFL QB. And he does put some zip on the ball when he has to.

I don't trust him to stay healthy, but when he is in there I feel pretty confident in him. Seems to me that the key to winning in the NFL is not to beat yourself, and he rarely makes bad plays. If the Jets can stay close to the Pats this weekend, I feel pretty good about having Pennington in the 4th quarter needing a score.

There are only a handful of QBs in the NFL I'd rather have on my team.

Unfortunately, we're playing against one of them this week....

Probably best candidate this year. Walker was up there. The Garcia pick I somewhat have a hard time with - he came back from sucking (regardless of reason) and only did it for half a season. I'm a huge fan of what he's doing for us, but I wouldn't consider him a candidate for the award. It would be like if say Cadillac won it next year - an up and down career isn't a qualification for the award to me.

Injury/perserverance in overcoming a true obstacle (not your own inconsistency) is what I think this one should be about.

I was happy to see Buckholter get a vote - his results don't qualify him to win it, but 3 knee injuries in 4 years, to even be playing in the NFL should get him some recognition, and he's a valuable player for us now.

I just think that Deuce McAllister's comeback is much more impressive, and that has been widely overlooked this season (probably because there are so many other positive stories coming out of NO this year).

hmm, good one...i even forgot :D

I think both Brees and Palmer deserved this award more than Pennington. I've seen written in some places that since they didn't miss any regular season games, they shouldn't be considered. That's ridiculous - that means that since they didn't get hurt until late Dec/early Jan, they had 2 months less time to rehab than Pennington, and both had better seasons (Brees by far).

I don't think this award is necessarily for the player who had a better season. It's for the player who overcame adversity and exceeded expectations. This time last year there was a lot of doubt that Pennington would even be on the team, or if he would ever play football again. Then he had to win the starting job in training camp. Brees and Palmer's jobs were never in any jeopardy. Yes, they overcame injuries and performed well, but I think there was more to the Pennington "comeback" story. Obviously I have some bias, but I think there is a lot more to it than just coming back from an injury.

I think both Brees and Palmer deserved this award more than Pennington. I've seen written in some places that since they didn't miss any regular season games, they shouldn't be considered. That's ridiculous - that means that since they didn't get hurt until late Dec/early Jan, they had 2 months less time to rehab than Pennington, and both had better seasons (Brees by far).

I don't know if anyone claimed that, but it seems intuitive to me that comeback player of the year should also involve a comparison of statistical performance from the previous season. Pennington received more than 3 times as many votes as Brees and Palmer respectively, so obviously the sports writers and broadcasters believe that also. Stastically, what did Brees and Palmer comeback from?

Brees 2004 and 2005

Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int

500 323 64.6 3576 7.15 54 24 15

554 356 64.3 4418 7.97 86 26 11

Palmer 2004 and 2005

Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int

509 345 67.8 3836 7.54 70 32 12

520 324 62.3 4035 7.76 74 28 13