[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts vs. Pats

Menudo

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell teams that have never been to a Super Bowl...they think the "big game" is the conference championships... :bash:

:D

You're right, it wasn't a "big game" at all. Thanks for the insight there, Timmay! :D

pssssst.......they won A big game. Not THE big game. Just FYI.

What was the bigger game for Steve Young - Super Bowl 29 or the NFC Championship victory against the arch-rival Dallas squad that had owned them for years? Young thinks that they were of similar magnitude. At least, that's what he implied in his narration in America's Game.

What's awesome, is if you listen in that game the crowd NEVER died down. Score was 21-3, and they were REALLY into that drive at the close of the half. The Colts and the fans never gave in to the idea that all the predictions were right, they kept believing they were gonna win.

This was the best playoff game I have ever seen, hands down, and the best playoff run I have ever seen a team make ( they were underdogs all 3 games). I can't wait to hear Papa, Schein, Miller and Cross eat some crow now for the 3rd straight week after giving the Colts no chance to win.

The Steeler homer in me can't help but question the bolded part. Yes, it was the best playoff game in quite some time. However, I would argue that the Steelers playoff run was better. They were the #6 seed and had to win on the road against the #3, #1, & #2 seeds to get to the Super Bowl. :D

What was the bigger game for Steve Young - Super Bowl 29 or the NFC Championship victory against the arch-rival Dallas squad that had owned them for years? Young thinks that they were of similar magnitude. At least, that's what he implied in his narration in America's Game.

Let's pretend that's the same thing as Manning's situation for a second.....please tell me you aren't seriously asking what's a bigger win between beating an old rival in the playoffs or winning the SB.

The Steeler homer in me can't help but question the bolded part. Yes, it was the best playoff game in quite some time. However, I would argue that the Steelers playoff run was better. They were the #6 seed and had to win on the road against the #3, #1, & #2 seeds to get to the Super Bowl. :D

+1. The Colt's run has been very strong but I think the Steeler's run was the more improbable, starting as a #6 seed.

Heh, of course you do Menudo (am I the only guy who is not bothered by your blatant homerism?!). But against KC, they were supposed to get crusehd by LJ... 200yrds rushing performance by him was being predicted. Instead, the Defense emerged and totally CRUSHED the Chiefs (which made me happier than the Raiders have in years). Then, despite this, they were supposed to get owned by BLT Defense, the #1 Defense in the league and the new Offense guided by McNair. They crushed them too. Then, everybody crossed off the Colts a third time based off 2 "bad" Manning performances (which really weren't at all) and that the Pat's had their number historicly (even though the Colts had won the last 2 meetings). They answer with one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history, a balanced Defensive lockdown and an unstoppable juggernaut Offense. They had the "unbeatable in the playoffs" Pats reeling the whole second half as they tried desperately to hold off that Colt attack.

That, my friend, is the best run I have ever seen!!

The best part of the whole game was watching the Colts' DB go down after picking the ball instead of trying to push a score. When the second player covered him to protect him, it was a sign of fantastic coaching IMHO.

Areed. Unlike Reggie Wayne trying for extra and coughing the ball up only to LUCKILY get it back.

The best part of the whole game was watching the Colts' DB go down after picking the ball instead of trying to push a score. When the second player covered him to protect him, it was a sign of fantastic coaching IMHO.

Or watching TV the prior week, one of the two.

Heh, of course you do Menudo (am I the only guy who is not bothered by your blatant homerism?!). But against KC, they were supposed to get crusehd by LJ... 200yrds rushing performance by him was being predicted. Instead, the Defense emerged and totally CRUSHED the Chiefs (which made me happier than the Raiders have in years). Then, despite this, they were supposed to get owned by BLT Defense, the #1 Defense in the league and the new Offense guided by McNair. They crushed them too. Then, everybody crossed off the Colts a third time based off 2 "bad" Manning performances (which really weren't at all) and that the Pat's had their number historicly (even though the Colts had won the last 2 meetings). They answer with one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history, a balanced Defensive lockdown and an unstoppable juggernaut Offense. They had the "unbeatable in the playoffs" Pats reeling the whole second half as they tried desperately to hold off that Colt attack.

That, my friend, is the best run I have ever seen!!

I have to disagree here. 3 games on the road, against 3 games, 2 being at home.

The game yesterday is far more impressive than any of the 3 last year for the Steelers, but the body of work can't be denied.

I have to disagree here. 3 games on the road, against 3 games, 2 being at home.

The game yesterday is far more impressive than any of the 3 last year for the Steelers, but the body of work can't be denied.

Then we shall agree to disagree. They convincingly pounded all 3 teams that were supposed to beat them in 3 different ways (KC's Running game, BLT's Defense, NE's Coaching-Mystique). They were home for 2 games, but they were underdogs despite that. The ermergence of this team is staggering, I just never got that feeling with the Steelers last year.

So the Colts fans don't miss it...

I am trying to get this in tis morning because I have a busy day, and also because I don't want to read too much here before I get my thoughts out from the game.

As a sidebar to this, I will mention that there were a few things that really got me hopped up in the game that could have had a game changing outcome. The most notable was the absolute mugging of Reche Caldwell in the endzone that was not called pass interference. That first and goal at the one means that the game goes in a different direction. The Troy Brown pass interference call was weak. I did not see enough of a replay to comment on the legitimacy of it, but it looked to be close enough to the line of scrimage to count as normal contact. Lastly, the pass interference call on Hobbs in the endzone. Truth be told I thought it was a legit call. I have heard some analysis on radio that there was no contact between the players, which means there should have been no call. I dunno...but if that's the case then it sucks. That's three calls that had (or could have had) major impact on the game. And I hate it because I hate when calls get in the way of a hard fought game.

Also with this I am freely willing to admit that there may have been calls that could/should have gone the other way (though none stick out in my mind). These things upset me a little because I know that if they had gone the other way we could be looking at a different result.

Regardless of any of that, however, I can't in good conscience try to pin this loss on anything except the play of the Patriots and how it matched up with the play of the Colts. That's part of the reason that I note those officiating 'issues'.

It doesn't matter what kind of issues are created in those circumstances within the framework of the game when you have the ball and the lead with 3:40 left to play. Peyton Manning had just finished meeting my expectations in coming up small on the previous drive, and here's Tom Brady, really only needing to get a first down to seal the win. And he couldn't do it. Then there's the defense, needing just one more stop to hold the lead, then to protect the tie. They couldn't do it. Then there's Tom Brady with a minute left to play, needing to drive the team down the field to score. And he couldn't do it.

Yesterday was the day that Peyton Manning could. Congrats to him and the Colts, and to the Colts fans...especially here at the Huddle. You all might be tough to take on occasion ( :D ), but your team deserved this win. Good luck in the Bowl.

And to be clear, I am not saying the Colts won because of the calls or any of that stuff. I am saying that within the circumstances of the game, the calls or anything other than the play of the 2 teams really can't be a shield against the loss. The Colts outplayed the Pats when it mattered. period.

Regardless of any of that, however, I can't in good conscience try to pin this loss on anything except the play of the Patriots and how it matched up with the play of the Colts. That's part of the reason that I note those officiating 'issues'.

And to be clear, I am not saying the Colts won because of the calls or any of that stuff. I am saying that within the circumstances of the game, the calls or anything other than the play of the 2 teams really can't be a shield against the loss. The Colts outplayed the Pats when it mattered. period.

Agreed. There were calls on both sides that could raise an eyebrow, but I think you will have that in any game. I don't feel that there were any calls that "the refs were just wrong" about. It wasn't that the Patriots played bad, its just the Colts played better.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any better, two coeds from about the 4th floor of one downtown building were sharing their incredible racks with Colts fans on the ground. :D

Without pictures, this post is worthless. :D

Let's pretend that's the same thing as Manning's situation for a second.....please tell me you aren't seriously asking what's a bigger win between beating an old rival in the playoffs or winning the SB.

I'm not saying that beating your arch-rival that has owned and embarrassed you for several years in the AFC Championship game is a bigger win than a SB win. I'm saying that, in the case of guys like Manning and Young (who have to live through the can't beat the Patriots/Cowboys and can't win a big game crap), it means almost as much. Did you see the '94 Niners episode of America's Game? Young puts A LOT of emphasis on that NFC Championship game. It was a HUGH win for him, as last night was for Peyton.

So the Colts fans don't miss it...

Class post. The Colts beat the Pats because they were the better team this year. The Pats won in '03 and '04 because they were the better team. It was an exciting game fought between to talented and classy organizations and I hope that we get to see more of this rivalry in the future. :D

Then we shall agree to disagree. They convincingly pounded all 3 teams that were supposed to beat them in 3 different ways (KC's Running game, BLT's Defense, NE's Coaching-Mystique). They were home for 2 games, but they were underdogs despite that. The ermergence of this team is staggering, I just never got that feeling with the Steelers last year.

The Steelers were on the road, and heavy underdogs against the Colts and Broncos. Most also thought the Bengals would dispose of them at home. The Colts were favored in 2 of their 3 wins, which were both at home. I don't think I'm being a homer in saying that there really isn't much to compare.

The Steelers were on the road, and heavy underdogs against the Colts and Broncos. Most also thought the Bengals would dispose of them at home. The Colts were favored in 2 of their 3 wins, which were both at home. I don't think I'm being a homer in saying that there really isn't much to compare.

I have to agree with Menudo here. Last year's Steelers were a 6th seed and had to pull off three difficult wins on the road. Their D also shut down (points-wise) an elite offense in the SB. Their only blemish was the poor play of Roethlisberger in the SB.

I have to agree with Menudo here. Last year's Steelers were a 6th seed and had to pull off three difficult wins on the road. Their D also shut down (points-wise) an elite offense in the SB. Their only blemish was the poor play of Roethlisberger in the SB.

Congrats on the win Swerski. However, I demand an answer ............. :D

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=194879

Heh, of course you do Menudo (am I the only guy who is not bothered by your blatant homerism?!). But against KC, they were supposed to get crusehd by LJ... 200yrds rushing performance by him was being predicted.

VH, side note, but I think you're exaggerating the Colts first-round "upset" win..."experts" predicted LJ would run roughshod over the Colts, yes, but Peyton and Co. would still win. No WAY they were considered underdogs at home against a one-dimensional #6 seed that backed into the playoffs. Against Baltimore and even the Pats (due to history), OK....

Regardless, a hearty congrats to the Colts and their fans. Enjoy the next 2 weeks. Simple fact: they made more big plays when it counted than the Pats did. They never thought it was over, came out in the 2nd half with a tremendous game plan (mostly dump underneath/play action to Rhodes who gained 8-10 yards at will against a tired, beaten up defense, esp. the aging LB corps). That first drive of the 2nd half was the first, and most damaging, nail in our coffin. It was a beauty. Bang bang bang, score. Pats go three and out. No rest for a depleted defense (who the f*ck was "Alexander and what was he doing out there? Had literally not seen that guy in extended action, or even limited action, period, all season). Colts score again, Pats go three and out. At one point, of the previous 30 plays, 29 were by the Colts, ONE (the Brady kneel down) was the Pats. That killed us. We were hurtin' and it showed, and to the Colts/Dungy's credit, they exploited our weaknesses perfectly.

And gotta give credit where it's due: Peyton manned up with the bum thumb and made some big throws when he had to. He may have showed the "Peyton Manning face" early on, but the only face he wore at the end was AFC champion QB, and that's what counts. No ref complaints (they got most of the tough ones right, including the Wayne non-call/tripping himself and the Gaffney TD). No excuses (I've heard flu, hot dome, bad Banta-Cain roughing call, etc. etc bla bla...). Excuses are for punks, and the only thing that matters is that the Colts earned this one by doing exactly what the Pats have done all these years: made big plays in crunch time. I'm an AFC guy, and still a Vinatieri fan, so even though this one stings -- mostly because I couldn't believe NE was potentially going for a 4th ring with arguably the most incomplete team of the bunch, and yet they kept defying my relatively low expectations -- I'll be pulling for Indy in the Bowl.

Good luck.:D

The Bengals lost Palmer early in the 1st Quarter, pretty much depowering them from the getgo and lessening the impact of that win. The Colts nearly won that game despite being down for so much of it, lessening the impact of that victory as well. I am not even a Colt fan, and I agree there isn't much to compare-- the Colts wins were more impressive. :D

I'm not saying that beating your arch-rival that has owned and embarrassed you for several years in the AFC Championship game is a bigger win than a SB win. I'm saying that, in the case of guys like Manning and Young (who have to live through the can't beat the Patriots/Cowboys and can't win a big game crap), it means almost as much. Did you see the '94 Niners episode of America's Game? Young puts A LOT of emphasis on that NFC Championship game. It was a HUGH win for him, as last night was for Peyton.

i'd say it's as big. this win is a lot like the sox win over the yanks in '04. people forget that they then had to go on and beat the best team in MLB that year, the cards. but considering the history between the two teams, even though it was "just" an afc champ game (and "just" an alcs), and they hadn't won the big one yet, there's no overstating how much getting over that hump meant/means to the respective franchises. so i don't see any reason to water it down by saying "sure, but it's not THE big game." even if they lose to chicago, beating the pats is a MAJOR, defining step forward for the colts....after all, you ask any sox fan, beating the yanks was 1000x sweeter than beating the cards. sure, it wouldn't have felt as complete without the WS title, but still. the players will have to move on and remember there's one more game, but i call BS on anyone trying to diminish colts fans' excitement today by playing the "sure, ok, you won the afc title, but it's still not the SB" card.

Edited by msaint

VH, side note, but I think you're exaggerating the Colts first-round "upset" win..."experts" predicted LJ would run roughshod over the Colts, yes, but Peyton and Co. would still win. No WAY they were considered underdogs at home against a one-dimensional #6 seed that backed into the playoffs. Against Baltimore and even the Pats (due to history), OK....

Listen to Sirius NFL radio on your morning commute and drive home, and you would say otherwise. Poppa, Miller, Cross, Scheffer... none of them picked the Colts, in any of the 3 games.

The Bengals lost Palmer early in the 1st Quarter, pretty much depowering them from the getgo and lessening the impact of that win. The Colts nearly won that game despite being down for so much of it, lessening the impact of that victory as well. I am not even a Colt fan, and I agree there isn't much to compare-- the Colts wins were more impressive. :D

The Steelers were 10 point underdogs against the Colts. The Colts had smashed them 5 weeks earlier. There were people giving the Colts a chance at the start of these playoffs, but, no one in their right mind was even mentioning the Steelers going into last year's playoffs as a possibility.