[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb unhappy since his injury

Randall

Question-if Garcia goes where would he go?

"Will Jeff Garcia be back in Philadelphia next season? More importantly, does Donovan McNabb want to be back?

Citing people close to the injured star quarterback, The Trenton Times reported that McNabb is unhappy with several things that have happened with the Eagles since his season ended with a torn ACL in his right knee.

Some of McNabb's reported gripes:

• McNabb reportedly is unhappy that Eagles coach Andy Reid didn't allow him to travel with the team to New Orleans for the team's playoff game against the Saints. The Eagles have a rule that players on injured reserve don't travel with the team. :D

• McNabb also reportedly might be getting the feeling that some with the Eagles might prefer Garcia as the team's starting quarterback after Garcia led Philadelphia to the playoffs and a postseason victory after McNabb's injury.

• And McNabb also reportedly isn't happy with how his mother has been portrayed in the media and by Eagles fans for comments on her blog on his Web site. She wrote that watching the Eagles win without McNabb was "bittersweet."

Garcia is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March. One former teammate told the newspaper that he doesn't envision Garcia returning to the Eagles as a backup.

"I know Jeff and I know how he is," the unnamed former teammate told The Times. "After the way he played -- what was he, 6-1? -- and then he won a playoff game. He's not going to be happy being a backup again. He's way too much of a competitor for that. He should be going to the Pro Bowl the way he played. He knows that. Now, you want him to be a backup, and get paid like a backup. That's not going to happen."

Last week, Reid canceled a news conference scheduled for McNabb because he wanted him to concentrate on his rehab.

McNabb hasn't spoken at length to reporters since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on Nov. 19. He had planned a news conference for Friday.

"He's been working like crazy right now and I don't want anything distracting him," Reid said on WIP-AM last week. "I want him focused in on taking care of his knee, and that's what he's doing. He came out [Thursday] and ran in the pool for the first time and he didn't have a limp when he ran in there. Those are all positive things."

During the season, the Eagles said McNabb had decided not to speak to the media after undergoing surgery because he did not want to be a distraction to the team. Although the 30-year-old quarterback did a couple of brief television interviews, his situation was not discussed in any sort of depth.

"I saw nothing that would be beneficial for him to stand up there," Reid told WIP-AM last week. "I'm the head coach and I get to make those decisions."

Reid said last week that, provided McNabb is healthy, there will be no quarterback controversy at the start of next season.

"It's Donovan," Reid told WIP-AM. "I think Jeff [Garcia] has told you that and I've told you that before. I don't think there's any question. It's a matter of Donovan just takes care of business now."

The Eagles' roller-coaster of a season ended with a gut-wrenching 27-24 loss to the New Orleans Saints in an NFC second-round playoff game, leaving Reid, his staff and players to ponder so many near-misses and what-ifs.

Philadelphia's season began with so much promise after a 4-1 start. McNabb was back to playing at an MVP level after Terrell Owens and a sports hernia disrupted his 2005 season, and the rest of the team hopped on his broad shoulders.

Then came a three-game losing streak, including a last-second loss on a 62-yard field goal by Tampa Bay's Matt Bryant. It only seemed to get worse when McNabb tore a knee ligament in Week 11. Hardly anyone expected much from the Eagles after a 24-point defeat at Indianapolis a week later left them at 5-6.

But Garcia rallied his teammates to five straight wins, the NFC East title for the fifth time in six years, and an 11-7 finish.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the heck does Garcia expect McNabb's mom to react? I don't think it is unreasonable for her to view their wins without her son as "bittersweet". And I don't think it is unreasonable for McNabb to be a little ticked that he wasn't allowed to go to NO with the team.

Still, Iggles fans have two blah choices at QB--the injury-prone McNabb or the aged Garcia--unless they can convince Garcia to remain with the team as a backup QB.

He came out [Thursday] and ran in the pool for the first time and he didn't have a limp when he ran in there. Those are all positive things."

Can you actually limp while running in the pool? :D

Things are heating up in Philly now as well.

Can you actually limp while running in the pool? :D

Things are heating up in Philly now as well.

Relax guys. I wouldn't put too much into this. Mark Eckel likes to stir the pot a bit amongst the fans. Last year he had us trading for Bryant Johnson, because he thought he was the next coming of Jerry Rice. :D

Relax guys. I wouldn't put too much into this. Mark Eckel likes to stir the pot a bit amongst the fans. Last year he had us trading for Bryant Johnson, because he thought he was the next coming of Jerry Rice. :D

Reporters that like stirring up controversy? :D Now there's a shock.

I thought they should let him go the Saints game. Other than that I'm sure they'll work things out. I thought that was weird.

yea, this is a "sh&t, offseason coming - what are we going to write about now" media story. Whether they bring back garcia will be based on two things only : money (not theirs - what he can get out there) and Garcia's true desire to start vs being with one of the NFC favorites next year (cause the places he could start are going to be akin to his Cleveland/Detroit decisions)

And I don't knwo if I call a guy who was on pace for about 4200 yds, 32 TD's (10 Int), plus 350 rushing and 5 TD's "blah". Yes, he seems to be an injury risk...which would be the perfect reason to have your 6-1, 200 yd a game and 2 TD, no pick backup.

They'll be all smiles come fall

Garcia in Minnesota might not be a bad fit. I know Childress has said he's comfortable going with just Bollinger and Jackson, but i'm sure not.

Bring Stallworth over too being the two have some experience together.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Maybe Garcia can come to Minny...I wouldn't mind keeping TJax on the bench for another year to learn the system.

I've actually read this somewhere already brought up as an option. Seems logical.

McNabb is acting TO-esque, Garcia was the back up QB, he came in a did his job. He did a great job, McNabb needs to act like he has a pair and stop whining like a Momma's Boy.

McNabb is acting TO-esque, Garcia was the back up QB, he came in a did his job. He did a great job, McNabb needs to act like he has a pair and stop whining like a Momma's Boy.

He is what he is. And feeling the pressure doesn't help. :D

He is what he is. And feeling the pressure doesn't help. :D

He gets paid alot of $$ to be the starting QB, he needs to act like one. Garcia will probably get paid more than the Eagles will offer unfortunately. He was a perfect back up for this system. They better sign Stallworth if they don't sign Garcia.

This is ALL speculation. McNabb hasn't said anything that can be quoted. Although if it is all true I agree with you 100%!

I'm embarrassed being an Eagles fan at times. I would say a good 65-70% of the Eagles fanbase are irrational, misinformed idiots, with a good percentage of them being prejudiced as well. THIS IS A MEDIA CREATION PEOPLE!!! Theres nothing else to talk about right now in local sports so several borderline reputable journalists like Reuben Frank and Angelo Cataldi thought it'd be a great time to create a non issue and sell a few papers along the way. I mean christ it's been well documented throughout the course of the season that McNabb and Garcia actually get along! They were seen "pal" ing it up on the sidelines of the Giants playoff game.

I mean seriously has there ever been a more non-issue that's gotten more pub then this McNabb/Garcia thing??? Sports talk radio in Philadelphia is virtually unlistenable these days. Harry from Havertown says "durr trade McNabb for draft picks, groom a young QB, fire Andy Reid and bring in Norv Turner" blah blah blah...These people shouldn’t even be allowed to watch football. :D

Edited by malta69

Garcia in Minnesota might not be a bad fit. I know Childress has said he's comfortable going with just Bollinger and Jackson, but i'm sure not.

Bring Stallworth over too being the two have some experience together.

With his trouble outside the WCO Minnesota is where I thought he would go(if he didn't stay in Philly). He could start a year or two before Jackson was ready.

I'm embarrassed being an Eagles fan at times. I would say a good 65-70% of the Eagles fanbase are irrational, misinformed idiots, with a good percentage of them being prejudiced as well. THIS IS A MEDIA CREATION PEOPLE!!! Theres nothing else to talk about right now in local sports so several media figures thought it'd be a great time to create a non issue and sell a few papers along the way. I mean christ it's been well documented throughout the course of the season that McNabb and Garcia actually get along! They were seen "pal" ing it up on the sidelines of the Giants playoff game.

I mean seriously has there ever been a more non-issue that's gotten more pub then this McNabb/Garcia thing??? Sports talk radio in Philadelphia is virtually unlistenable these days. Harry from Havertown says "durr trade McNabb for draft picks, groom a young QB, fire Andy Reid and bring in Norv Turner" blah blah blah...These people shouldn’t even be allowed to watch football. :D

I'm embarrassed that you're embarrassed that Eagles fans embarrass you when it's obvious that you're embarrassing yourself by being embarrassed by all the embarrassing Eagles fans. :bash::D

I'm embarrassed that you're embarrassed that Eagles fans embarrass you when it's obvious that you're embarrassing yourself by being embarrassed by all the embarrassing Eagles fans. :D:D

Is this Harry from Havertown?!?!?!

Some of McNabb's reported gripes:

• McNabb reportedly is unhappy that Eagles coach Andy Reid didn't allow him to travel with the team to New Orleans for the team's playoff game against the Saints. The Eagles have a rule that players on injured reserve don't travel with the team. :D

• McNabb also reportedly might be getting the feeling that some with the Eagles might prefer Garcia as the team's starting quarterback after Garcia led Philadelphia to the playoffs and a postseason victory after McNabb's injury.

• And McNabb also reportedly isn't happy with how his mother has been portrayed in the media and by Eagles fans for comments on her blog on his Web site. She wrote that watching the Eagles win without McNabb was "bittersweet."

Ok. Let's take a look...

1) McNabb couldn't travel with the team because he's on IR. Too bad. Its a team rule. You're a multi-millionaire. Buy your own flight, hotel room, and tickets to the game if it means that much to you. You don't start looking for a trade because of something this lame.

2) Some of the Eagles might prefer Garcia. That's life as an NFL QB. There will always be somebody trying to get your starting job (and usually its your buddy who's been backing you up all season long). If some of the Eagles preferred Koy Detmer to McNabb then maybe he'd have a legitimate gripe, but Garcia has proven himself in this league. Nothing is certain, so shut up and come back and show everyone that you deserve that starting role.

3) McNabb's mother? Please! This is as lame as it gets. If you want to protect your mother from the media then you shouldn't have included her in your professional life. She's a big girl. If she wants to produce a Blog then she better prepare to get ripped for it. This has nothing to do with playing professional football. I'm sure McNabb wants to protect his Mother, but he had better not let that interfere with his work... if he does, then he needs to just find a quiet desk job somewhere where his job doesn't place her in harms way.

Ok. Let's take a look...

1) McNabb couldn't travel with the team because he's on IR. Too bad. Its a team rule. You're a multi-millionaire. Buy your own flight, hotel room, and tickets to the game if it means that much to you. You don't start looking for a trade because of something this lame.

2) Some of the Eagles might prefer Garcia. That's life as an NFL QB. There will always be somebody trying to get your starting job (and usually its your buddy who's been backing you up all season long). If some of the Eagles preferred Koy Detmer to McNabb then maybe he'd have a legitimate gripe, but Garcia has proven himself in this league. Nothing is certain, so shut up and come back and show everyone that you deserve that starting role.

3) McNabb's mother? Please! This is as lame as it gets. If you want to protect your mother from the media then you shouldn't have included her in your professional life. She's a big girl. If she wants to produce a Blog then she better prepare to get ripped for it. This has nothing to do with playing professional football. I'm sure McNabb wants to protect his Mother, but he had better not let that interfere with his work... if he does, then he needs to just find a quiet desk job somewhere where his job doesn't place her in harms way.

Again where has McNabb come out and addressed ANY of these issues???

The second argument I give the LEAST credibility of them all! I mean who is going to come out and say that about McNabb? B-West , Stallworth, Reggie Brown? There just aren't any problem guys on this offensive unit anymore.

Again I blame the papers and the public for even bringing these non-issues into the public spotlight. They love it because they read these writers’ opinions and pass them off as their own. They use the newspaper to educate themselves on the teams, rather than just looking at what is going on to form their own opinion. The writers are just doing what keeps them employed

cripes, gimme a break. mcnabb reportedly might have his feelers hurt because he ran out of chunky soup. :D what an absolutely substance-less story. mcnabb was playing like the best QB in the league before he got hurt, he IS the eagles' QB. if garcia wants to back him up again and the iggles want to pay him, great. if not, he maybe he can go start for some garbage team like the vikes. :D either way this whole story is 100% media concoction, pure and simple.