[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ranking the best football teams of all time

whomper

considering the 92 cowboys cant play the 76 Steelers, and the 66 Packers wont line up against the 88 49ers, its not an exact science. Thus if, this or if that, are used, its to back up tangibles to measure the greatness of those teams. if I, is answering the question of the post, If I was to rank, so Im not sure that is relevant. I could have left the If out there, and just said my ranking would be.

Pitt will always get more love than anyone else, as they had the most personalities on that team, and beat America's team, who also could have been one of the top 5 teams ever, in 2 Sb's. And I dont fault people for picking Pitt #1. However, I think the 90's Cowboys would run over that defense, and the Boys D would ruin the Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann we know today.

One of those 90's Cowboys team barely beat a Neil O'Donnell led Steelers team. IF O'Donnell didn't throw two gimme interceptions, that 90's Cowboys team would have lost to a 90's Steelers team that isn't half of what their teams of the 70's were.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering the 92 cowboys cant play the 76 Steelers, and the 66 Packers wont line up against the 88 49ers, its not an exact science. Thus if, this or if that, are used, its to back up tangibles to measure the greatness of those teams. if I, is answering the question of the post, If I was to rank, so Im not sure that is relevant. I could have left the If out there, and just said my ranking would be.

:D The 92 Cowboys can't play against the 2004 Patriots, either, and yet you have not problem making definitive statements about who is better in that match-up...

Toss a couple of 'Ifs in next time, eh? :bash:

:D

lots of good candidates mentioned (IMO the 89 niners, 91 skins, and 72 dolphins would top the list), but i gotta make a pitch for the 98 broncos as well...

some highlights...

- HOF QB, one of the two or three greatest of all time in most peoples' minds -- had his highest career passer rating in 1998

- a 2000 yard rusher. has ANY other super bowl winner had a 2000 yard rusher? not only that, but TD rushed for more yards that year (breaking his own 1997 record) than any other player in league history in the regular season and playoffs combined.

- arguably the greatest TE who ever played the game

- not one, but TWO all-pro WRs in smith and mccaffrey

- one of the great O-line's in league history, with two players (nalen and zimmerman) who were probably the best in their generation at their position.

- with that juggernaut offense, their defense was still 8th best in the league.

- steve atwater, neil smith, trevor pryce, alfred williams, john mobley

- team didn't lose a game until homefield was clinched -- in other words, they didn't lose a single game all season when anything tangible was on the line.

- won their 3 postseason games by a combined score of 95-32, for a 21 point average margin of victory.

98 Broncos were very very good. People overlook them. They deserve consideration as one of the most dominant in a single season.

:D The 92 Cowboys can't play against the 2004 Patriots, either, and yet you have not problem making definitive statements about who is better in that match-up...

Toss a couple of 'Ifs in next time, eh? :bash:

Are you kidding me, that 92 team had a huge OL, even by todays standard. Emmitt would have run wild on that Pats D, and Aikman in his prime to Irvin in his would torch that suspect secondary. The 2004 Pats team couldnt have beaten the Bills of 92, which were destroyed by Dallas 52-17. And there are no ifs, ands, or buts about that.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

One of those 90's Cowboys team barely beat a Neil O'Donnell led Steelers team. IF O'Donnell didn't throw two gimme interceptions, that 90's Cowboys team would have lost to a 90's Steelers team that isn't half of what their teams of the 70's were.

Clearly the worst of the 3 title teams of the 90's, and that game marked the end of the Boys run.

Those 2 INts foiled the Steelers attempt to come back, but clearly not the reason Dallas won the game. As Dallas never trailed in this game.

http://superbowl.com/history/boxscores/game/sbxxx

1st quarter 10-0 Dallas

2nd quarter 13-7 Dallas

3rd quarter 20- 7 Dallas

4th quarter 27-17 Dallas

http://superbowl.com/history/recaps/game/sbxxx

Cornerback Larry Brown's two interceptions led to 14 second-half points and helped lift the Cowboys to their third Super Bowl victory in the last four seasons and their record-tying fifth title overall. Brown's interceptions foiled the comeback efforts of the Steelers, and earned him the Pete Rozelle Trophy as the game's most valuable player.

Dallas scored on each of its first three possessions, taking a 13-0 lead on Troy Aikman's 3-yard touchdown pass to Jay Novacek and a pair of field goals by Chris Boniol. Neil O'Donnell's 6-yard touchdown pass to Yancey Thigpen 13 seconds before halftime pulled Pittsburgh within 6 points, and the Steelers had the ball near midfield midway through the third quarter. But O'Donnell's third-down pass was intercepted by Brown at the Cowboys' 38-yard line, and his 44-yard return carried to Pittsburgh's 18.

After Aikman's 17-yard completion to Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith ran one yard for the touchdown that put Dallas ahead again by 13 points. The Steelers rallied, though, behind Norm Johnson's 46-yard field goal, a successful surprise onside kick, and Byron (Bam) Morris's 1-yard touchdown run with 6:36 to play in the game.

And when they forced a punt and took possession at their own 32-yard line trailing only 20-17 with 4:15 remaining, it appeared they might have a chance to break the NFC's recent domination in the Super Bowl. But on second down, Brown struck again, intercepting O'Donnell's pass at the 39 and returning it 33 yards to the six.

Two plays later, Smith barreled over from four yards out for the clinching touchdown with 3:43 to go. Pittsburgh limited the Cowboys' powerful running game to only 56 yards and enjoyed a whopping 201-61 advantage in total yards in the second half, but could not overcome the three interceptions (another came on the game's final play) thrown by O'Donnell, the NFL's career leader for fewest interceptions per pass attempt.

In all, O'Donnell completed 28 of 49 passes for 239 yards. Morris rushed for a game-high 73 yards on 19 carries. For Dallas, Aikman completed 15 of 23 pass attempts for 209 yards.

The Cowboys' victory was the twelfth in a row for NFC teams over AFC teams in the Super Bowl.

The late 80's 49ers were as stocked with talent as any team in history. Before the salary cap, they literally were paying out twice as much as many other teams for their roster and while that alone led to the salary cap, it's hard not to put those late 80's 49er teams at the very top of the list or at least in the top 3. They simply had an advantage other teams did not. Imagine Brady and Manning both on the same team.

The late 80's 49ers were as stocked with talent as any team in history. Before the salary cap, they literally were paying out twice as much as many other teams for their roster and while that alone led to the salary cap, it's hard not to put those late 80's 49er teams at the very top of the list or at least in the top 3. They simply had an advantage other teams did not. Imagine Brady and Manning both on the same team.

What are you saying, Sorgi is not as good as Brady. :D

1. 1985 Bears

Thank you.

Now we can go back to watching people say "well we can't compare teams from different decades..." then the same poster a few later can say "well FOR SURE that 2004 SB winner would have gotten hammered in the 90's." :D:D:bash::clap:

Are you kidding me, that 92 team had a huge OL, even by todays standard. Emmitt would have run wild on that Pats D, and Aikman in his prime to Irvin in his would torch that suspect secondary. The 2004 Pats team couldnt have beaten the Bills of 92, which were destroyed by Dallas 52-17. And there are no ifs, ands, or buts about that.

I agree. That like had good depth at O-line too.

1. 1985 Bears

Thank you.

Now we can go back to watching people say "well we can't compare teams from different decades..." then the same poster a few later can say "well FOR SURE that 2004 SB winner would have gotten hammered in the 90's." :D:D:bash::clap:

Of course, last week ESPN published that the 89 49ers were the best team ever. Go figure. :tup:

1. 1985 Bears

Thank you.

Thank you for making my point :tup:

One could argue that the Pats were the best team those Bears faced that playoff season...

At least they scored 10 points and recovered a fumble by Walter.

1. 1985 Bears

Thank you.

Let me explain this to you and Nick, who seem to be completely clueless to my point. The 90's Cowboys were not 30 lbs smaller per man up front that todays players, like the Steelers of the 70s compared to the Cowboys of the 90s. That Dallas OL was the biggest in the NFL, around 310 avg across the board, and 3 were bigger, but the C was 285, so he brought the average down. Aikman, Irvin, and emmitt could easily play in todays NFL, if in their prime. Hell Brett Favre is still playing, and he was from the same era at QB. Even Larry Allen is still playing today for SF. Aikman was 6'4, 220. its not like he was a smurf like some Qbs of the 70's. The 76 steelers were probably 270-280 up front, and they would have been torn apart by any of todays NFL teams. So comparing eras can be done to a certain extent, but the 90s Cowboys could dominate in todays NFL, because they had the size of todays NFl players. The Steelers of the 70s or even 9ers of the 80's would have no chance to compete in todays NFL, for that very reason.

Funny...that '96 GB team did come to my mind when talking about this. I remeber that season thinking early that there was no team that would beat GB in the playoffs that year. They were dominant.

Just like this yr, most thought NE would find a way to beat Indy because they had their number. Same thing with GB that year with Dallas, who had knocked them out of the playoffs the 3 previous seasons in a row. And Carolina did the dirty work for GB that yr, so we never found out what would have happened if GB had to actually beat Dallas to advance.