[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ranking the best football teams of all time

whomper

Driving home tonight I heard Mike and The Mad dog discussing the top teams of all time and how they rank..Got me thinking..What would your top 3 choices be ?..They were kicking around a lot of teams 72 Dolphins, 66 Packers , 84 Niners , 85 Bears, 92 Cowboys, 75 Steelers to name a few..Who would you rate top 3 ?

They were just doing 1966 to present

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greatest team of all time, hands down, is the 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers, who didn't get to the SB.

Coming off consecutive SB wins, they started 1-4 on a 14 game schedule. Won their last nine games to win the division by one game over Kenny Anderson's Bengals, giving up a total of 29 points in those 9 games. If they had lost any of those games, they would not have made the playoffs!

Beat the daylights out of Bert Jones' Colts at Baltimore in their first playoff game, but lost both Harris and Bleier to injury (each had rushed for over 1,000 yards). As an aside, shortly after the stadium had been emptied, a small plane crashed into the stands.

Pittsburgh, playing without Harris and Bleier, lost the AFC championship at Oakland. Still, the best team ever.

Driving home tonight I heard Mike and The Mad dog discussing the top teams of all time and how they rank..Got me thinking..What would your top 3 choices be ?..They were kicking around a lot of teams 72 Dolphins, 66 Packers , 84 Niners , 85 Bears, 92 Cowboys, 75 Steelers to name a few..Who would you rate top 3 ?

They were just doing 1966 to present

85 Bears maybe just the most entertaining

75 Steelers

72 Dolphins

92 cowboys were the youngest and deepest team in the league. If that team could have stayed together, like the Steelers team in the 70s, they would have probably won 5 SBs in a 6-7 yr period.

I completely disagree that the best team ever is the 72 dolphins. They were not even the favorite to win the SB. They barely escaped many games, and were not dominate at anything, just good at everything.

If I was to rank the top 5 teams ever, Id probably have to do it like this. I dont think a team can be the best ever, unless they sustain greatness over a period of time. Not just 1 season.

90's Cowboys

70's Steelers

80's 49ers

60' Packers

70's Cowboys

If Dallas holds onto a sure TD as time was expiring to beat Pitt, they would have had 3 titles in the 70's and 5 Sb appearances, to Pitts 4. Also would even the record of 1-1 vs the Steelers for that decade. That one dropped pass, vaulted Pitt to the top of that decade, instead of Dallas.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Kinda have to mention the 1972 Dolphins and their undefeated season. Sort of hard to argue against that one...

Yep, although they only had to play 14 regular-season games and didn't have to deal with free agency.

Maybe I'm biased (or maybe it's that I'm sick of those pretentious douches popping champagne every season), but I'd put the '89 49ers and the '85 Bears above them.

Edited by Bill Swerski

92 cowboys were the youngest and deepest team in the league. If that team could have stayed together, like the Steelers team in the 70s, they would have probably won 5 SBs in a 6-7 yr period.

I completely disagree that the best team ever is the 72 dolphins. They were not even the favorite to win the SB. They barely escaped many games, and were not dominate at anything, just good at everything.

If I was to rank the top 5 teams ever, Id probably have to do it like this. I dont think a team can be the best ever, unless they sustain greatness over a period of time. Not just 1 season.

90's Cowboys

70's Steelers

80's 49ers

60' Packers

70's Cowboys

If Dallas holds onto a sure TD as time was expiring to beat Pitt, they would have had 3 titles in the 70's and 5 Sb appearances, to Pitts 4. Also would even the record of 1-1 vs the Steelers for that decade. That one dropped pass, vaulted Pitt to the top of that decade, instead of Dallas.

the word "IF" is mentioned alot in your post..........lol. if dallas, if i, if that team,............what does all that mean??? that mentioning dallas as one of the best teams ever if pretty iffy if you are asking me.

best TEAM ever??? hmmmm, tough tangibles to measure but surely the seventies steelers had great people at almost all positions, at all times. the bears homer in me loved/loves the 85 bears, not the best superbowl team ever though. the best defense yes, team no. i liked the cowboys of the seventies better than the 90's.

Greatest team of all time, hands down, is the 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers, who didn't get to the SB.

Coming off consecutive SB wins, they started 1-4 on a 14 game schedule. Won their last nine games to win the division by one game over Kenny Anderson's Bengals, giving up a total of 29 points in those 9 games. If they had lost any of those games, they would not have made the playoffs!

Beat the daylights out of Bert Jones' Colts at Baltimore in their first playoff game, but lost both Harris and Bleier to injury (each had rushed for over 1,000 yards). As an aside, shortly after the stadium had been emptied, a small plane crashed into the stands.

Pittsburgh, playing without Harris and Bleier, lost the AFC championship at Oakland. Still, the best team ever.

Talk about a defense! I just stumbled across this a few years ago, I never realized how dominant that D was. From week 6 on they allowed 25 points in the regular season.

Week | Opponent | Result | Score |

+--------+-------------------------------+----------+---------+

| 1 | at Oakland Raiders | L | 28-31 |

| 2 | Cleveland Browns | W | 31-14 |

| 3 | New England Patriots | L | 27-30 |

| 4 | at Minnesota Vikings | L | 6-17 |

| 5 | at Cleveland Browns | L | 16-18 |

| 6 | Cincinnati Bengals | W | 23- 6 |

| 7 | at New York Giants | W | 27- 0 |

| 8 | San Diego Chargers | W | 23- 0 |

| 9 | at Kansas City Chiefs | W | 45- 0 |

| 10 | Miami Dolphins | W | 14- 3 |

| 11 | Houston Oilers | W | 32-16 |

| 12 | at Cincinnati Bengals | W | 7- 3 |

| 13 | Tampa Bay Buccaneers | W | 42- 0 |

| 14 | at Houston Oilers | W | 21- 0 |

+--------+-------------------------------+----------+---------+

Postseason

AFC Divisional Playoff: won 40 - 14 at Baltimore Colts

AFC Championship Game: lost 7 - 24 at Oakland Raiders

Edited by CarryTheRock

the word "IF" is mentioned alot in your post..........lol. if dallas, if i, if that team,............what does all that mean??? that mentioning dallas as one of the best teams ever if pretty iffy if you are asking me.

best TEAM ever??? hmmmm, tough tangibles to measure but surely the seventies steelers had great people at almost all positions, at all times. the bears homer in me loved/loves the 85 bears, not the best superbowl team ever though. the best defense yes, team no. i liked the cowboys of the seventies better than the 90's.

considering the 92 cowboys cant play the 76 Steelers, and the 66 Packers wont line up against the 88 49ers, its not an exact science. Thus if, this or if that, are used, its to back up tangibles to measure the greatness of those teams. if I, is answering the question of the post, If I was to rank, so Im not sure that is relevant. I could have left the If out there, and just said my ranking would be.

Pitt will always get more love than anyone else, as they had the most personalities on that team, and beat America's team, who also could have been one of the top 5 teams ever, in 2 Sb's. And I dont fault people for picking Pitt #1. However, I think the 90's Cowboys would run over that defense, and the Boys D would ruin the Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann we know today.

hard to ignore what the Pats have done the last seven years, and not include them in this discussion. In all the preceding posts, they have yet to be mentioned once! In an age of free agency, its amazing what the Pats have been able to do almost every season to remain a top-5 team.

Also, with my green-homer glasses on, the 1991 Eagles may have been one of the best teams ever on paper. Had they not lost Cunningham in Week 2, who knows?

Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner, Andre Watters, Wes Hopkins anchoring the only defense to finish #1 in all major statistical categories (PA, rush defense, pass defense), a record that still stands today.

Cunningham, Keith Byars, Williams and Barnett, Keith Jackson at TE....weapons all over the place on offense, too.

The offensive incompetency of Buddy Ryan, free agency, and the death of Jerome Brown cut short this lethal team.

Talk about a defense! I just stumbled across this a few years ago, I never realized how dominant that D was. From week 6 on they allowed 25 points in the regular season.

Im sorry, but you dont start 1-4 and lose to the Raiders twice, who went on to win the SB, you are not the best team ever. Maybe that D could be included in the best D conversation, but not best team. Not even close.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Homer pick, but the 1991 Redskins were pretty dominant.

Number one in points scored and number two in points allowed.

Overall, number four offense and number three defense that year.

14-2 and won the Superbowl. And did it with a lot of journeymen like Rypien and Byner, although they still had a solid core of great defensive players. Seven probowlers.

I dont know where they rank in any overall list, but they were unstoppable that year.

hard to ignore what the Pats have done the last seven years, and not include them in this discussion. In all the preceding posts, they have yet to be mentioned once! In an age of free agency, its amazing what the Pats have been able to do almost every season to remain a top-5 team.

Also, with my green-homer glasses on, the 1991 Eagles may have been one of the best teams ever on paper. Had they not lost Cunningham in Week 2, who knows?

Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner, Andre Watters, Wes Hopkins anchoring the only defense to finish #1 in all major statistical categories (PA, rush defense, pass defense), a record that still stands today.

Cunningham, Keith Byars, Williams and Barnett, Keith Jackson at TE....weapons all over the place on offense, too.

The offensive incompetency of Buddy Ryan, free agency, and the death of Jerome Brown cut short this lethal team.

If there was no FA today, the Pats would be the Philly ealges, still looking for their first SB. Some say its harder to win now, than before because of FA, but the teams as a result are much weaker than in dynasties past. So the Pats winning now as a weaker team, in a weaker era, doesnt vault them to greatness. There is no doubt there would be a true dominant team in this era if there was not FA, and with the Pats philosphy, they would not be that team. They are just to tallest midget of todays NFL.

Homer pick, but the 1991 Redskins were pretty dominant.

Number one in points scored and number two in points allowed.

Overall, number four offense and number three defense that year.

14-2 and won the Superbowl. And did it with a lot of journeymen like Rypien and Byner, although they still had a solid core of great defensive players. Seven probowlers.

I dont know where they rank in any overall list, but they were unstoppable that year.

Didnt my 1-15 Dallas Cowboys beat them. :D

Just commenting on how awesome the D was in a post mentioning the team that year.

Im sorry, but you dont start 1-4 and lose to the Raiders twice, who went on to win the SB, and become the best team ever. Maybe that D could be included in the best D conversation, but not best team. Not even close.

Didnt my 1-15 Dallas Cowboys beat them. :D

1-15 does not make a "Best team Ever"

Edit to take out quote from different thread

Edited by CarryTheRock

If there was no FA today, the Pats would be the Philly ealges, still looking for their first SB. Some say its harder to win now, than before because of FA, but the teams as a result are much weaker than in dynasties past. So the Pats winning now as a weaker team, in a weaker era, doesnt vault them to greatness. There is no doubt there would be a true dominant team in this era if there was not FA, and with the Pats philosphy, they would not be that team. They are just to tallest midget of todays NFL.

Interesting argument that does hold some merit.

But on the other hand, some could argue that, because there were so few teams in the 60's, 70's and 80's, there was naturally more talent per team. Everyone says the NBA and MLB have diluted their product, and to a degree, so has the NFL. I would iamgine that if there were 12-16 more teams playing in the 1970's, the Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders and Dolphins wouldn't have been nearly as dominant as they were.

Or look at it this way....take away 3-4 stud players from each of those teams, and then compare them to the teams of today. I doubt the Steelers of the 70's, without 4 top players, would walk all over the 2001 Patriots.

Thus, all you can do when arguing a point of greatness is evaluate each team based on the current situation within which they exist. And as much as the Steelers and Cowboys dominated the 70's, and the 49er's the 80's, the Pats have dominated the 2000's.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Interesting argument that does hold some merit.

But on the other hand, some could argue that, because there were so few teams in the 60's, 70's and 80's, there was naturally more talent per team. Everyone says the NBA and MLB have diluted their product, and to a degree, so has the NFL. I would iamgine that if there were 12-16 more teams playing in the 1970's, the Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders and Dolphins wouldn't have been nearly as dominant as they were.

Or look at it this way....take away 3-4 stud players from each of those teams, and then compare them to the teams of today. I doubt the Steelers of the 70's, without 4 top players, would walk all over the 2001 Patriots.

Thus, all you can do when arguing a point of greatness is evaluate each team based on the current situation within which they exist. And as much as the Steelers and Cowboys dominated the 70's, and the 49er's the 80's, the Pats have dominated the 2000's.

With all due respect, the Pats don't belong in the conversation with the all-time greats. Although they've won 3 SBs this decade, they were hardly "dominant" in any of the 3.

In their first SB year, they scored one offensive TD in each post-season game, got a break on the tuck rule, got another break on the Steelers re-punt in the AFC championship game when the officials misplaced the spot, and got one of the all-time (and rarely discussed) breaks in the SB against the Rams. As you'll recall, the Rams led 3-0 and were in the Patriots' territory when Law made the pick and ran for a TD. If you ever see the replay (it was on NFL Network recently), you'll see that Vrabel's fist hit Warner's helmet above the face opening just after the ball was released. Roughing the passer in any era. Had that penalty been called, the Rams would have had a first down at the Pats' 30, and the game would most likely have turned out differently.

I'm sure you'lll agree that the Patriots' opponents in their last 2 SBs, Carolina and Philadephia, could easily have won. In neither game did New England beat the spread, so they can hardly be called "dominant" concerning those wins.

With all due respect, the Pats don't belong in the conversation with the all-time greats. Although they've won 3 SBs this decade, they were hardly "dominant" in any of the 3.

In their first SB year, they scored one offensive TD in each post-season game, got a break on the tuck rule, got another break on the Steelers re-punt in the AFC championship game when the officials misplaced the spot, and got one of the all-time (and rarely discussed) breaks in the SB against the Rams. As you'll recall, the Rams led 3-0 and were in the Patriots' territory when Law made the pick and ran for a TD. If you ever see the replay (it was on NFL Network recently), you'll see that Vrabel's fist hit Warner's helmet above the face opening just after the ball was released. Roughing the passer in any era. Had that penalty been called, the Rams would have had a first down at the Pats' 30, and the game would most likely have turned out differently.

I'm sure you'lll agree that the Patriots' opponents in their last 2 SBs, Carolina and Philadephia, could easily have won. In neither game did New England beat the spread, so they can hardly be called "dominant" concerning those wins.

Dude - they won 3 in 4 years. 3 out of 3. You can split hairs, but it's irrelevant because they won playing THEIR game which is ball control, grind out the clock and come away with a win. Other teams can find different ways to win, the Pats know theirs. How many teams in NFL history have done that in this time frame? Not including the Pats only about 6 or 7, and half of those were pre-Super Bowl.

Dude - they won 3 in 4 years. 3 out of 3. You can split hairs, but it's irrelevant because they won playing THEIR game which is ball control, grind out the clock and come away with a win. Other teams can find different ways to win, the Pats know theirs. How many teams in NFL history have done that in this time frame? Not including the Pats only about 6 or 7, and half of those were pre-Super Bowl.

Also this was done in the era of Free Agency... that's pretty remarkable.

how about the dominance in the seventies by the vikings, rams, and cowboys. between the 3 teams, one or both were in the nfc conf. champ. game every year. iirc. pretty sturdy.

i was just messing with you corky, the 90's cowboys as well as the 70's cowboys deserve there place NEAR the top of this list. i still think the steelers were the most well-rounded team of them all.

The Pats may have had one of the best DYNASTIES of all time, but I don't consider any of those INDIVIDUAL teams to be in the Top 5 of all-time. Heck, not even the Top 10.

lots of good candidates mentioned (IMO the 89 niners, 91 skins, and 72 dolphins would top the list), but i gotta make a pitch for the 98 broncos as well...

some highlights...

- HOF QB, one of the two or three greatest of all time in most peoples' minds -- had his highest career passer rating in 1998

- a 2000 yard rusher. has ANY other super bowl winner had a 2000 yard rusher? not only that, but TD rushed for more yards that year (breaking his own 1997 record) than any other player in league history in the regular season and playoffs combined.

- arguably the greatest TE who ever played the game

- not one, but TWO all-pro WRs in smith and mccaffrey

- one of the great O-line's in league history, with two players (nalen and zimmerman) who were probably the best in their generation at their position.

- with that juggernaut offense, their defense was still 8th best in the league.

- steve atwater, neil smith, trevor pryce, alfred williams, john mobley

- team didn't lose a game until homefield was clinched -- in other words, they didn't lose a single game all season when anything tangible was on the line.

- won their 3 postseason games by a combined score of 95-32, for a 21 point average margin of victory.

Edited by Azazello1313