[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need an off-dry wine to pair with this meal

wiegie

The meal will begin with salmon pate on French bread crostinis with fresh herbs followed by a crisp field green salad with balsamic vinaigrette and dried cranberries, and then followed by fire roasted tomato soup.

The main course will be tender cornish game hen in herbed butter, honey-maple rice blend with almonds and green beans with bacon crackling.

Following the meal, a dessert of dried fruit spice cake topped with ginger hard sauces will be served.

To add to the dinner, guests may bring a bottle of wine to enjoy with their meal.

The cost of the dinner is $75 per person.

Here's the situation, my sister and her husband are going to a Valentine's Day dinner that is being hosted by a historical society and is being catered with the above menu. They can bring their own wine with them if they would like (for them to drink, not share). They are not big wine drinkers at all and my sister prefers sweeter wines. She called me and asked me for some advice.

Would a Riesling (perhaps even late-harvest) be totally impassible for this meal? Obviously that would not be the recommended wine, but I think my sister would prefer to drink a wine she likes instead of drinking a properly-paired wine.

Any other suggestions jump out at you?

while a sweeter wine could be just fien with the entre and dessert, it won't with the salmon pate..... can fit ok with those dried cranberries.

like you said, priority is what she likes vs what is "appropriate"

the late harvest is going to be super sweet. might want to go with a good ole riesling or gwertz.

A late harvest would be too sweet. And personally, I could see any white just getting washed out and not tasting like anything at all once she starts eating.

IMO, this menu has red wine written all over. Maybe you just recommend a nice fruit forward Pinot Noir.

Or Barbera, Dolcetto, Cotes du Rhone or a Rioja.

Edited by twiley

A late harvest would be too sweet. And personally, I could see any white just getting washed out and not tasting like anything at all once she starts eating.

IMO, this menu has red wine written all over. Maybe you just recommend a nice fruit forward Pinot Noir.

Or Barbera, Dolcetto, Cotes du Rhone or a Rioja.

those were the 2 reds that popped into mind.

EDIT: Perhaps a half bottle of champagne to start for the salmon pate...? Or does she not like Champagne

EDIT2: The a Reisling with the hens might be fine....or maybe a fruity chard?

Edited by Caveman_Nick

those were the 2 reds that popped into mind.

EDIT: Perhaps a half bottle of champagne to start for the salmon pate...? Or does she not like Champagne

EDIT2: The a Reisling with the hens might be fine....or maybe a fruity chard?

If these are people that don't really drink wine and only like sweeter wines, forcing a red because its technically a better pairing, isn't going to add any enjoyment to the dinner. It would certainly be an opportunity to learn, but taking a jump from a sweet white to any red is a big one.

If these are people that don't really drink wine and only like sweeter wines, forcing a red because its technically a better pairing, isn't going to add any enjoyment to the dinner. It would certainly be an opportunity to learn, but taking a jump from a sweet white to any red is a big one.

BAM! i agree.

:D Okay...........

but wasn't I suggesting a half bottle of champaign and a fruity chardonnay? :D

:D Okay...........

but wasn't I suggesting a half bottle of champaign and a fruity chardonnay? :D

Sorry, I wasn't really responding to your post; just the thread in general. Your's just happened to be the last post.

I think you could match a lot of decent whites to this meal....except the tomato soup is throwing me.

yep--this is sort of my problem

If it were me, or if I were there to at least explain it to them (feeble though my explanation might be), I would almost certainly go with a Pinot--but on their own, I think I am going to have to stick with either a Riesling or a Gwurtz. (Actually, now that I think about it, I think they do have a bottle of an off-dry red from a local Missouri winery :D , maybe I should tell them to bring that.)

except the tomato soup is throwing me.

That's exactly why I thought a white would be way off.

There are some dry whites out there that would work but you're right back there with the reds again if you're only trying to pick a wine that she likes (sweet). It's just not a good menu for sweet wines.

yep--this is sort of my problem

If it were me, or if I were there to at least explain it to them (feeble though my explanation might be), I would almost certainly go with a Pinot--but on their own, I think I am going to have to stick with either a Riesling or a Gwurtz. (Actually, now that I think about it, I think they do have a bottle of an off-dry red from a local Missouri winery :D , maybe I should tell them to bring that.)

Wiegie, tell them to pick up a bottle of the Harvest Red or Highland Red from Mount Pleasant. It won't be perfect but it'll be better than a really sweet white.

Harvest Red

A sweet red with loads of fruit flavors. Great with picnic fare. Aged in stainless steel and a sugar level of 7%. Blended from St. Vincent and Couderc grapes.

2005 Highland

Brilliant ruby red-violet hue. Black cherry, molasses and plum aromas. A medium-bodied palate leads to an almost port-like sweetness in the finish along with soft tannins and moderate acidity.

I would disagree that it's medium body.

Edited by twiley

Wiegie, tell them to pick up a bottle of the Harvest Red or Highland Red from Mount Pleasant. It won't be perfect but it'll be better than a really sweet white.

I would disagree that it's medium body.

LOL....I forgot about the MP Harvest Select Red. I think my wife finally poured out her last bottle about a year ago.

I think I'd stick more to a Vouvray or a Sauv Blanc or maybe a Stainless Steel Chard. Baby steps!

The Mount Pleasant wines might actually fit in with the theme of the dinner (which is historical from the 1800s). I briefly thought of this the other day when I was talking to my sister and I told her that the reason it fit was because back then most people basically had to drink locally produced wines. But then, I wasn't sure if they were going to have to share their wine with other people and when I found out that the dinner was $150 per couple, I thought a cheap sweet Missouri red might not go over too well. (But I am pretty certain that they won't be sharing their wine, so maybe this could work out.)

I am coming into this a little late. But I think a Viognier would do very well with this menu... Might even hold up to the Tomato Soup... But then again with tomato soup I think Sangiovese (Chianti)...

this is someone who likes sweet wines..... this is not a typical pairing

this is someone who likes sweet wines..... this is not a typical pairing

I guess it depends on how you define sweet wines, but IMHO... many Viognier's have a sweetness to them, there is just a little more "heat" to them due to higher alcohol, some wine makers leave residual sugars to cut the heat... if a standard Viognier is not "sweet" enough then you could do a late harvest or a dessert Viognier. IMHO Viognier is similar to Gewurztraminer when pairing foods...

As I was typing this I thought of another off-dry sweet wien that would be fun for them: Caymus Conundrum...

I guess it depends on how you define sweet wines, but IMHO... many Viognier's have a sweetness to them, there is just a little more "heat" to them due to higher alcohol, some wine makers leave residual sugars to cut the heat... if a standard Viognier is not "sweet" enough then you could do a late harvest or a dessert Viognier. IMHO Viognier is similar to Gewurztraminer when pairing foods...

As I was typing this I thought of another off-dry sweet wien that would be fun for them: Caymus Conundrum...

from what wiegie was saying, i think they would enjoy the late harvest or dessert wines more than a standard viognier.

i know that conundrum. it's very good, and i still wonder if it's too dry from them... actually that could be the one.