[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Ditzy Chicks

spain

:bash: I'm saying that the media is not neutral and it's ludicrous to suggest that it is. :D

It's not the leftist boogeyman some make it out to be. Anni Nicole Smith dominated the news coverage (like entire hour news shows) nonstop the day she died. No one here questioned it. If, for some reason, she had made a disparaging remark about Bush in the last couple years, the righties at the huddle would be foaming at the mouth complaining at the coverage. Her successful reality shows from the last couple years would be totally attributable to a vast left wing media conspiracy.

Blaming the liberal media has become a habitual reaction; a simplistic scapegoat that allows one to errouneously dismiss all other facets of what is or isn't popular or newsworhty. Maybe the Dixie Chicks make catchier music and have more sex appeal than that pro-war dude I've never heard of. :D

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the leftist boogeyman some make it out to be. Anni Nicole Smith dominated the news coverage (like entire hour news shows) nonstop the day she died. No one here questioned it. If, for some reason, she had made a disparaging remark about Bush in the last couple years, the righties at the huddle would be foaming at the mouth complaining at the coverage. Her successful reality shows from the last couple years would be totally attributable to a vast left wing media conspiracy.

Blaming the liberal media has become a habitual reaction; a simplistic scapegoat that allows one to errouneously dismiss all other facets of what is or isn't popular or newsworhty. Maybe the Dixie Chicks make catchier music and have more sex appeal than that pro-war dude I've never heard of. :D

:bash:I'm not blaming the media for anything - just calling a spade a spade. :D

They played the Anna Nicole Smith crap because they are, in the end, a business and too many Americans actually care about that whack, weight-fluxuating, gold-digging, silicone, B-list nutjob. They'll run similar crap when Clinto Eastwood and Charleton Heston die.

:DI'm not blaming the media for anything - just calling a spade a spade. :D

Well, you think that the media is pushing the Dixie Chicks into mainstream America. I'm not really sure what that means or how other apolitical groups aren't being pushed by the media.

ETA: Are the dixie chicks even political? Have they really ever rallied against Bush besides that chubby one saying she was embarrassed by him being our president?

Edited by bushwacked

Well, you think that the media is pushing the Dixie Chicks into mainstream America. I'm not really sure what that means or how other apolitical groups aren't being pushed by the media.

ETA: Are the dixie chicks even political? Have they really ever rallied against Bush besides that chubby one saying she was embarrassed by him being our president?

I gave a specific instance - MSN .com projects the Chicks in a very favorable light and did not do so until after the London episode. I use MSN as my homepage at work to browse the headlines and have never seen them pimp another artist or group. I'm not saying it's wrong - just that it is what it is.

Yes, I think the Chicks are political. They were unknown outside the country genre before Maines commented on their fellow Texan. The anti-Chick rallies and follow up interviews where the Chicks stood by their comments (and I think that was admirable) make them somewhat of a politcal group.

I gave a specific instance - MSN .com projects the Chicks in a very favorable light and did not do so until after the London episode. I use MSN as my homepage at work to browse the headlines and have never seen them pimp another artist or group. I'm not saying it's wrong - just that it is what it is.

You could very well be correct, as I'm not a dixie chicks fan, and the times I did have my homepage on MSN, I guess I really never paid attention to the headlines.

They were unknown outside the country genre before Maines commented on their fellow Texan.

Really? Maybe it was just a coincidence and I was forced to listen to them somewhere, but I generally know next to nothing about todays pop country artists and it seems I was well aware of them before the chubby one commented on Shrub. Maybe not. :D

Dixie Chicks winning multiple Grammys for Not Ready to Make Nice. I hadn't actually heard the song before the awards ceremony. It sounded alright, but kinda bitchy. I've like their music in the past, but this didn't really do anything for me. I thought it was a bit forced to give them these awards, like they were trying to make a statement by doing so. But hey, maybe it really is just about the quality of their music. I can give the beenfit of the doubt on that one.

Introduction by Joan Baez. Hmmmmm. Haven't seen this old hippie in a long time. Now it is definitely looking like they are pushing a particular message. But you know what, maybe somehow the Dixie Chicks specifically requested that she be the one to ontroduce them if they won. I don't know. But it didn't sit well with me.

On-stage appearance by Al Gore. Enough. Al Gore on stage at the Grammys? Come on! That's the political statement straw that broke this viewer's back.

No reason for me to ever tune into the Grammys again.

The point is that they clearly didnt deserve any of these awards. The music just isnt very good. But the left wing Hollywood types love sending messages. Or I should say beating us over the head with messages. So, instead of giving the awards to folks who actually DESERVE them, they make a statement. And in doing so, it further dilutes any credibility that the Grammys had left.

The point is that they clearly didnt deserve any of these awards. The music just isnt very good. But the left wing Hollywood types love sending messages. Or I should say beating us over the head with messages. So, instead of giving the awards to folks who actually DESERVE them, they make a statement. And in doing so, it further dilutes any credibility that the Grammys had left.

Who do you think deserved them? If enough people don't agree with the Grammy awards, then I suppose that they will lose all relevance and another award show will take their place. Correct? Maybe you could start the Spainies and give all of the winners a stuffed sheep.

Sorry. While not a huge fan, the Dixie Chicks clearly are musically talented and have put out alot of good strong music. I know musical taste is subjective, but talent really isn't. You're clearly letting your dislike for their politics skew your thinking here.

:bash: Hardly. I'm saying there's a reason they pimp the Dixie Chicks vs. a guy like Darryl Worley that sings pro-war tunes. I'm saying that the media is not neutral and it's ludicrous to suggest that it is. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Worley

"Seeking to provide support for the ill-fated U.S. invasion of Iraq, Worley recorded "Have You Forgotten," a single nominally inspired by the events of the September 11, 2001 attacks. While it received a Country Music Association nomination for single of the year, the single was widely dismissed outside of the country music business as propaganda for the Bush administration's attempts to tie September 11 to Iraq."

I hear people saying we don't need this war

I say there's some things worth fighting for

What about our freedom and this piece of ground?

We didn't get to keep 'em by backing down

They say we don't realize the mess we're getting in

Before you start preaching

Let me ask you this my friend

CHORUS 1

Have you forgotten how it felt that day

To see your homeland under fire

And her people blown away?

Have you forgotten when those towers fell?

We had neighbors still inside

Going through a living hell

And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout Bin Laden

Have you forgotten?

They took all the footage off my T.V.

Said it's too disturbing for you and me

It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say

If it was up to me I'd show it every day

Some say this country's just out looking for a fight

After 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right

CHORUS 1

Have you forgotten how it felt that day

To see your homeland under fire

And her people blown away?

Have you forgotten when those towers fell?

We had neighbors still inside

Going through a living hell

And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout Bin Laden

Have you forgotten?

I've been there with the soldiers

Who've gone away to war

And you can bet they remember

Just what they're fighting for

CHORUS 2

Have you forgotten all the people killed?

Some went down like heroes in that Pennsylvania field

Have you forgotten about our Pentagon?

All the loved ones that we lost

And those left to carry on

Don't you tell me not to worry about Bin Laden

Have you forgotten?

Have you forgotten?

Have you forgotten?

I can't imagine why this song isn't still a huge hit today. Using 9/11 imagery to sell the Iraq war is as popular as it ever was. This guy should be even more popular than Cheney right now. :D

Sorry. While not a huge fan, the Dixie Chicks clearly are musically talented and have put out alot of good strong music. I know musical taste is subjective, but talent really isn't. You're clearly letting your dislike for their politics skew your thinking here.

I think the Dixie Chicks are talented too, but the Grammys people made the decision to push the political message by having Joan Baez introduce them with her defiant little "they used to tell me to just shut up and sing too" speech. And there's simply no justification (NONE) for having Al Gore up on stage at the Grammys except to hammer home a liberal political message... one that they had been pushing all night. This was clearly not JUST about musical talent. It ALSO had to do with a particular ideology.

Its not really my thinking per se. I am simply reporting what nearly everybody on Music Row in Nashville says. And while not as left leaning as Hollywood, the vast majority in the music biz in Nashville are very liberal.

They are country singers. If they open their mouths for anything but country music, they are speaking out of their ass. Do politicians speak of music and get taken seriously.

If you give a crap about the grammys or what some musician says, you are retarded. Get a short-bus (SUV) and fit in with all the other 'tards.

I think the Dixie Chicks are talented too, but the Grammys people made the decision to push the political message by having Joan Baez introduce them with her defiant little "they used to tell me to just shut up and sing too" speech. And there's simply no justification (NONE) for having Al Gore up on stage at the Grammys except to hammer home a liberal political message... one that they had been pushing all night. This was clearly not JUST about musical talent. It ALSO had to do with a particular ideology.

I know it's crazy... but is it possible that NOT believing in Bush's failed policies or blatant misstatements of facts is no longer a political ideology... and is actually more of an accepted truth to most people these days?

What political position were they pushing at the Grammys? What specific ideology were they endorsing? Saying "Bush is an embarrassment" isn't exactly controversial anymore.