[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

schotty fired

jjpro11

From my view here in the cheap seats it appears that anyone taking a job in SD would be required to do what the GM says and have no say in anything other than what they wear on game day. Wouldn't surprise me in in the least that the GM there is actually the HC and if you don't do what he says you are gone. Why don't they just call him what he really is.... the HC.... and hire a bunch of assistants to do his bidding?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gm looks to have a huge ego, and it isnt warranted if you ask me. The crop of that team are very high draft picks, except for Gates, who was on the streets before playing in the NFL. Id have fired the Gm, before Marty, and SD will probably realize this was a bad decision this time next yr.

That could be one scary O with Cryin' Dick in charge.

With new allegations surfacing at USC in the past couple of months, it wouldn't surpirse me one bit if Carroll bolted for SD (pun intended).

Yea, as much as I think Carroll would have rather ridden into the golden sunset with USC, I think it's all startign to catch up with him and both the school and he may not mind a "well, it's my job of a lifetime calling" sort of thing to happen.

Not really surprising, considering that Cameron and Phillips are gone. Not to mention the fact that Smith and Schottenheimer hate each other. I remember reading an article on some web site by a guy who interviewed A.J. Smith last year and it was pretty clear that Smith was pissed at Marty for playing Brees in the meaningless game where he tore his labrum. Ouch. Maybe A.J. Smith is the reason that Archie didn't want Eli playing in SD? :D

As for all of the Pete Carroll talk, I don't see him leaving USC. Too cushy of a job and he's in a position to win a national championship every season.

As for Marty, he'll find another HC job within the next 12 months. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, he's a very good HC. People made similar comments about Dungy for years and look what happened this season. Too bad that the Giants decided to bring Coughlin back, as Schottenheimer would've been a good fit in NY.

they have got to have someone in mind already that they know will go there. there would be just too many risks involved to fire a coach this late without anyone already being committed to go there. whoever it is remains to be seen. im guessing its a rather big name though. and also.. carroll would be the biggest idiot in the world to leave usc. hes got the most secure job in college football, he can get just about any recruit he wants and is always fielding a team with the best of the best high school talent. its not like hes not making much money either.

If you don't think Coughlin was at some kind of risk after the way the team performed regardless of the votes of confidence, I think you are being a bit naiv

As far as Reid, I'm a huge supporter of his, but to say not including him with the rest would tell me my point didn't get across - the point is that the coaching profession has become so high pressured and has so many extraneous parts, that even the best of coaches that are actually enjoying success on the field are having difficult times, be it cause of personal lives, conflict with other management players or owners, on top of the normal "the team sucks".

Coughlin was "at some kind of risk" simply because the media said so and because you believe so? The front office NEVER made ANY indication that his job was in jeopardy. In fact, as I recall, his extension came almost IMMEDIATELY after the conclusion of their season ... further indication that the belief that his job was ever in jeopardy was all media generated hype.

We ALL have personal lives, whether we be a head coach or not. Typically at some point or another in ALL of our lives personal issues arise that require much of our immediate attention, whether we be a head coach or not. I'm still not clear why you believe Reid should be lumped in with all the coaches that have been fired, changed jobs or retired.

Does this latest news impact at all how you feel about LT fantasy wise? A week ago, he was the unquestioned #1 pick (I personally think he still is), but the doubts entered my mind for a second last night.

Does the fact that he has lost his o-coordinator AND head coach 1) make you feel uncomfortable about picking him #1 overall or even 2) make you consider other options if you had the top pick next year?

Just curiuos what others are thinking...

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I didnt feel like reading five pages to find out

Edited by NinersIn2006!

:D

So because YOU are lazy we should re-hash the discussion if it has already occurred?

:D

:bash::clap:

Well I guess so!!

Besides, its not like there is a whole lot going on in the world of football (or sports for that matter) nowadays! I hate this time of year!!

Edited by NinersIn2006!

Coughlin was "at some kind of risk" simply because the media said so and because you believe so? The front office NEVER made ANY indication that his job was in jeopardy. In fact, as I recall, his extension came almost IMMEDIATELY after the conclusion of their season ... further indication that the belief that his job was ever in jeopardy was all media generated hype.

We ALL have personal lives, whether we be a head coach or not. Typically at some point or another in ALL of our lives personal issues arise that require much of our immediate attention, whether we be a head coach or not. I'm still not clear why you believe Reid should be lumped in with all the coaches that have been fired, changed jobs or retired.

Normally I stay away from the back and forth as it's usually idiotic but I've had a rough last 7 days, so f it:

- you really think his extension post-conclusion of an up and down season like that is an indication his job WASN'T (using capitals here since you seem to enjoy them) in jeopardy....cause most coaches that I've seen get extensions get them during the season, not after. You can feel how you feel, and I'll hold my opinion, which is there was definitely questioning within the organization as to whether he should come back

- Reid is being "lumped" in because he's an NFL coach who had to take time away from the job and depending on how his family situation works out, could possibly have to leave the job...not sure why your making that the big issue

Parcells left for his reasons whatever they may be, Shotty left cause he can't get along, Coughlin (I think - your position is clear) has a tenuous hold on his team and job, and Reid had an off-the-field issue cause some issues with his tenure - and my point is simply thatt these 4 make up 1/3 of the playoff teams, or the most successful teams. It's a tough job, and I think as the pressures continue to increase, the Cowher's of the world will become extinct.

Remember when most of us were growing up - you had at least 5 or 6 coaches that had been in place a long time, and as long as the teams were winning at least semi-consistently, the coaches stayed around. Now, even winning doesn't guarantee a long stint with a team.

Ok - think i'm done on this topic - feel free to blast away at these comments. Make sure to use lots of capitalization so we all understand the points you are trying to emphasize.

can we pleasssse put to rest any talk of Mike Martz? that's the last guy we need running the team.

and as for who's to blame in all this.....Spanos, Smith, and Schottenheimer scan all accept some. but no way i'd have kept Marty over AJ. Butler and Smith built our talent to where it is. and you gotta have the players to make it work.

Marty's a great coach and i really respect him. AJ couldn't have forseen losing both coordinators at once.

And it was clear that by the fact that they only offered Marty an extension with a $1M buyout that AJ really didn't want to commit to him long-term. As bad as the timing is, with Wade and Cam gone, it had to be done now.

i'll take Mora. i'll take Chow. i'd love Parcells for a couple years. Mike Singletary really interests me but not for this team at this time.

Does this latest news impact at all how you feel about LT fantasy wise? A week ago, he was the unquestioned #1 pick (I personally think he still is), but the doubts entered my mind for a second last night.

Does the fact that he has lost his o-coordinator AND head coach 1) make you feel uncomfortable about picking him #1 overall or even 2) make you consider other options if you had the top pick next year?

Just curiuos what others are thinking...

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I didnt feel like reading five pages to find out

no.

Wow! A punch to the gut to Charger fans and players. However, we all knew it was coming, if not this year, at least at the end of next year. I think AJ really wanted Wade Phillips to take over after next year, but any thoughts of that went down the drain after Wade got hired by Dallas.

Regarding the AJ vs. Marty feud, what an absolute shame. AJ's a great GM and evaluator of talent and Marty did a great job in turning the franchise around from a loser to a winner. The breakup was inevitable, so as a Charger fan, I'd rather just take the hit now and rebuild the coaching staff with AJ's type of guys. As much as I appreciate what Marty did for the Chargers, IMO, AJ was the man we had to keep. He's stocked the team with talent and you can't win without it. Yes, he's had some high picks (Merriman, Jammer, and LT (if you give AJ partial credit for Butler's pick)). But he's had a number of great picks. He solidified the OLine with draft picks such as Pro Bowlers Marcus McNeil and Nick Hardwick and serviceable RT Shane Olivea. He brought in Kris Dielman as a Free Agent and that guy turned into a stud, who unfortunately, we'll probably lose in Free Agency. He drafted Luis Castillo on defense as a first round pick when many were stunned and thought it was a reach due to a prior controversey heading into the draft. Castillo is a stud. Almost the entire Charger team was built through the draft, so I gotta give AJ credit for that.

Not knowing much about the situation, seems like most of the charger fans are not happy about it, but if it had to be done, side with AJ over shotty (which I'd also do - guy may be tough to deal with, but seems he's stocked his team pretty well at least recently).

Yea, no idea why Mike Martz would be back up for a head coaching job - think he's a good coord, but i wouldnt' want him ever heading my team.

I agree with REZ, Sky, and Swerski about the Pete Carroll talk. No way he leaves USC to be a puppet for AJ Smith. The only way Carroll leaves USC for SD, is if Smith gets fired also. And that might not be totally out of the question(Smith getting fired also). :D

Some of the names I heard thrown around on NFL Network were Mariucci, Martz, Norv and Carroll FWIW.

All but Martz would be an egregious mistake, and Martz might not be so great either.