[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anyone really believe this?

CaP'N GRuNGe

:D

“This battle is the most visible part of a global war” against terrorists, countered the House Republican leader, Rep. John Boehner. “If we leave, they will follow us home. It’s that simple.”

Yeah, the Sunnis and Shia will immediately stop their vengeance killings of each other and struggles for control over their own country and begin to board planes for the US.

Sell your fear mongering somewhere else Boner. :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“This battle is the most visible part of a global war” against terrorists, countered the House Republican leader, Rep. John Boehner. “If we leave, they will follow us home. It’s that simple.”

Yeah, the Sunnis and Shia will immediately stop their vengeance killings of each other and struggles for control over their own country and begin to board planes for the US.

Leaving out the exaggerated comment, are you basically saying that you'd be willing to risk not only a demoralizing defeat if we simply pack-up and leave Iraq, but the possibility that a number of terrorists might begin to exert a larger portion of their energy towards fighting a war in our own country? You're saying this is a risk you'd be willing to take, right?

He is probably not talking about the sunnis and shia following us home as much as the massive morale boost leaving prematurely will give Al Queda / Hamas and the rest of the extremists..

He is probably not talking about the sunnis and shia following us home as much as the massive morale boost leaving prematurely will give Al Queda / Hamas and the rest of the extremists..

yep

edit: but i do agree the "if we leave they will follow us home" statement is pretty lame and heavyhanded.

Edited by Azazello1313

The point is that if extremists want to come to America to cause havoc, they can do so at any time. Just because we leave Iraq doesn’t mean that the motivation for them to do so is any different.

The real issue of leaving or staying in Iraq does not involve security on our soil, but rather what would happen to the entire region of the middle east and indirectly our security because of states in the region that have or are pursuing nuclear weapons as well as the instability to the oil markets.

I accept that as fact. I don’t accept the fear mongering.

Leaving out the exaggerated comment, are you basically saying that you'd be willing to risk not only a demoralizing defeat if we simply pack-up and leave Iraq, but the possibility that a number of terrorists might begin to exert a larger portion of their energy towards fighting a war in our own country? You're saying this is a risk you'd be willing to take, right?

By the way, what demoralizing defeat are you referring to? Mission accomplished, remember? We went into Iraq under the name of WMDs and regime change. No WMDs found, but Saddam and the Baathists were successfully removed from power. The Iraqis have had their elections. What's occuring now is nothing more than civil war and sectarian violence with the US in the middle of it trying to keep peace. You've got a leader in Malaki that up until recently was supporting the head of one of the larger groups causing much of the violence in Iraq. (Sadr) How do you define victory or defeat at this point anyways? What's the mission?

By the way, what demoralizing defeat are you referring to? Mission accomplished, remember? We went into Iraq under the name of WMDs and regime change. No WMDs found, but Saddam and the Baathists were successfully removed from power. The Iraqis have had their elections. What's occuring now is nothing more than civil war and sectarian violence with the US in the middle of it trying to keep peace. You've got a leader in Malaki that up until recently was supporting the head of one of the larger groups causing much of the violence in Iraq. (Sadr) How do you define victory or defeat at this point anyways? What's the mission?

Very true. As far as my war-time experience goes, Operation Iraqi Freedom was a brilliant success.

And then Bush made a terrible mistake by not preparing for what happened next. His 'after invasion' plan failed, and now even today our country is struggling to come up with a plan that will ultimately bring this war to an end while also remaining victorious against any and all terrorists.

Someone really famous once said, "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." And it could be that a swift U.S. withdrawl from Iraq may indeed embiggen the terrorists in a way that would make them more likely to attempt more attacks on American soil.

I don't think they will follow us home. More likely they are already here at home while we're busy dying over there.

Very true. As far as my war-time experience goes, Operation Iraqi Freedom was a brilliant success.

And then Bush made a terrible mistake by not preparing for what happened next. His 'after invasion' plan failed, and now even today our country is struggling to come up with a plan that will ultimately bring this war to an end while also remaining victorious against any and all terrorists.

Much like the war on drugs and the war on poverty, it's tough to have an end game on an idea.

Someone really famous once said, "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." And it could be that a swift U.S. withdrawl from Iraq may indeed embiggen the terrorists in a way that would make them more likely to attempt more attacks on American soil.

I don't think they will follow us home. More likely they are already here at home while we're busy dying over there.

The scariest part about that comment is that it is 100% true. There are gross amounts of terrorist cells that are probably in every major city in the US. So far it seems like we've done a good job of slowing them down, but I'm not very excited about the fact that these pests are in our country right now -- and probably pretending to be friendly towards Americans on the outside while plotting to attack and kill on the inside.

Leave Iraq, stay in Afghanistan. How can we call O.I.L. a defeat? Our mission was to liberate the Iraqi people. They are now liberated and chose civil war over civality. That is thier issue, not mine. Bring our troops home.

And if you were wondering, I am former Virginia Army National Guard, 3 years, 88mike. Thankfully durring the Clinton years.

Edited by DemonKnight

Was it Jebadia Springfield?

To abandon our position in Iraq would allow one of the two factions to come to power with all the resulting payback.

We currently have thousands of both factions here in the US.

The faction that losses eventually in Iraq would sure be justified in blaming the pullout of Americans as the reason for their suffering.

As Savage said above they are already here waiting for a reason.

The slaughter of their families in Iraq would probably be sufficient.

IMHO.

I have a hard time believing that there are a group of people out there sitting on the fence as to whether they want to attack America, and that a US withdrawal of Iraq would knock them off of the fence to spring into action.

In other words, those that want to and have the wherewithal are "emboldened" enough, and a US withdrawal from Iraq is not going to swell those ranks.

The whole "follow us home" rhetoric is bullsh*t and anyone saying that should be embarassed.

He has no understanding of the issue with al qaeda. Once again he is claiming Iraq is the "central front in the battle against terrorism" and that is completely false. 95+% of those fighting us there are not terrorists and want us out of their country.

We are like the Russians in Afghanistan all over again.

Go after the real terrorists. And secure Pakistan. If there is a coux there nuclear materials could be in Bin Laden's hands.

Edited by Randall

John Boehner is a chain-smoking troglodyte. I live in his district. I've met him. He's no Jack Kennedy.

This is a much better quote from him, which after a couple of drinks and a pack of smokes I'm quite sure he would admit applies to his quote above: "When there's no agenda and no real message what happens is you can't really have a message. You can put lipstick on a pig all you day long but it's still a pig."