[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garcia to Tampa?

Randall

Oakland is close to home, but he'd get killed there.

"TAMPA – As tough a blow as it was to watch the Jake Plummer trade blow up in their faces, the Bucs appear to have recovered rather quickly.

Less than 24 hours after they learned that Plummer would rather retire than come play quarterback for them, the Bucs appeared to be on the verge late Friday of signing Eagles free agent signal caller Jeff Garcia.

A source with knowledge of the situation said a deal that would bring Garcia to Tampa would probably happen quickly, perhaps as soon as today.

Garcia spent most of Friday visiting with the Oakland Raiders but after word leaked that the Bucs trade for Plummer had been nullified, Garcia cut short his visit with the Raiders and turned his attention to Tampa Bay.

Garcia’s agent, Steve Baker, would only say late Friday that Garcia “is very interested in the Bucs, but others were speaking in more affirmative tones.

One NFL source with knowledge of the situation said the feeling inside the Raiders camp after Garcia left was that Garcia was headed to Tampa to play for Jon Gruden.

If that proves to be the case it will end a nearly three-year courtship between the two parties that began in 2004.

The two parties nearly merged that year, but the Bucs offer of a $1 million signing bonus forced Garcia to look elsewhere, and he eventually signed with the Browns, who offered a $5.5 million bonus.

Money should not be a problem for the Bucs this time as they have nearly $24 million in cap space. There is also a greater need on the Bucs part.

Coach Jon Gruden has made no secret of his desire to bring in a successful veteran quarterback to push Chris Simms for the starter’s job, and Garcia certainly fits the bill.

Garcia resurrected his career - and the Eagles - last season after taking over for an injured Donovan McNabb and leading Philadelphia to a 5-1 record and the NFC East title.

That achievement and his 95.8 passer rating aside, the Eagles decided not to re-sign Garcia, making him one of the most sought-after free agents on the market.

The Broncos and Vikings also are expected to make bids for Garcia, but Baker has let it be known that Garcia’s wish is to play in Tampa.

“Jeff feels he has multiple good options, but the opportunity to play for Jon Gruden in Tampa is something that really excites him,” said Garcia’s agent, Steve Baker.

“Jon is a coach who Jeff believes has the ability to bring out the best in him. In fact, he feels that by playing for Jon, he has a very good chance of duplicating the success he had with the Eagles in Philadelphia last year.”

Reporter Roy Cummings can be reached at (813) 259-7979 or at rcummings@tampatrib.com.

from profootballtalk.com

POSTED 10:14 a.m. EST, March 3, 2007

BUCS TURNING TO GARCIA

Our friends at PewterReport.com report that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, fresh from the Jake Plummer debacle, are turning their attention to free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia.

Garcia was thought to be signing with Oakland on Friday, but an impasse arose. Though it's not clear whether the roadblock was money, we've learned that one of Garcia's concerns was/is the strong possibility that the No. 1 overall pick in the draft won't be used on a playmaker (i.e., Calvin Johnson), but on Garcia's eventual replacement (i.e., JaMarcus Russell).

In Tampa, however, it's not as obvious that Garcia would win the starting job. Chris Simms surely provides a feel-good component to the coming season, given that he put on (in hindsight) one of the all-time heroic performances in September 2006, as he played in blistering heat with a busted spleen.

But Tampa would be more likely to use the No. 1 overall pick on a playmaker like Johnson, who might still be on the board when the Bucs use the fourth overall selection. Even if he isn't (and we think he shouldn't be), the fact that the pick would be used on a position other than quarterback gives Tampa the edge in this category.

If a deal can't be worked out between the Bucs and Garcia (whom we guess is looking for a contract worth at least $5 million per year), keep an eye on Houston. With Jake Plummer apparently out of the mix, the Texans could try to lure Garcia to town as the replacement for David Carr.

I thought this was the fit that made the most sense for Garcia. A true version of the WCO. Barring injury I think the Bucs will now be the biggest surprise team in the NFL this year. Could very well have the Brees effect.

No surprise here.

Spain,

Yes, his GF could very well be a cover up.

I also love how this move blocks Oakland because they now need to focus on drafting a QB with that #1 pick and not CJ.

That's a good point. Unless Millen does it again and drafts a WR CJ should be there.

Reminds me of how Tampa improved their team and screwed the Vikings at the same time(there's nothing wrong with that) when Dungy was head coach.

Back then they signed Todd Steussie and I think another Minnesota lineman.

Edited by Randall

Just don't forget how bad Garcia was at the end of his stay in SF, then Cleveland, then Detroit. I really think he's got to have the right cast around him and be on a really good team to be succesful.

Agreed. Philly had Westbrook, Stallworth, Reggie Brown, a decent OL, and a decent Defense.

The Bucs have Caddy (who hasnt done squat outside of 3 games or so), an even older Galloway then last year, some guy named Michael Clayton, a horrible OL, and a defense that was not only bad last year, but is older this year.

So tell me again how Garcia is gonna duplicate what he did in Philly???

That's a good point. Unless Millen does it again and drafts a WR CJ should be there.

Reminds me of how Tampa improved their team and screwed the Vikings at the same time(there's nothing wrong with that) when Dungy was head coach.

Back then they signed Todd Steussie and I think another Minnesota lineman.

Oh yeah, Steussie was such a huge loss. :D

The tampa media are KILLING gruden/allen over today, but I actually like it - they got killed last year for having no one behind Simms, and this year, they may have a three headed monster (Plummer ain't retiring) but that's not a bad thing .... Eagles were very happy to have three QB's with starting experience. Considering their respective ages, I actually think this makes some sense (although would need to see the $ in total for the three of them). We'll see what happens, but at least no one can say they didn't shore up the QB spot...

Still would love to see another 3-13 season (or whatever they were)....

And for Philly - who becomes their number 3? Koy?

That whole west coast is ghey...

solid.. yeah the West coast sucks............the deep south is where it's at.

these teams, including Tampa are outta there minds thinking Garica is the answer to anything. He stinks, and is DONE. Yeah, he had a nice little run- but that is all he is- an aging QB that can pinch hit for a few games and hold a team together. He has been awful in his last few stints.

Counting on him to be yer starter? uh no thanks, he doesn't have it anymore. I predict a brutal '07 for the little pillow muncher.

The tampa media are KILLING gruden/allen over today, but I actually like it - they got killed last year for having no one behind Simms, and this year, they may have a three headed monster (Plummer ain't retiring) but that's not a bad thing .... Eagles were very happy to have three QB's with starting experience. Considering their respective ages, I actually think this makes some sense (although would need to see the $ in total for the three of them). We'll see what happens, but at least no one can say they didn't shore up the QB spot...

Still would love to see another 3-13 season (or whatever they were)....

And for Philly - who becomes their number 3? Koy?

We'll give you Darrell Bevell for a conditional 7th rounder. :D