[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, what is your favorite Led Zepplin song?

PantherDave

won't pick one--too hard and depends on my mood. I really hate that 'rock and roll' is now associated with cadillac.

In my youth, I used to enjoy Dazed and Confused with entering into that state. There are a lot good songs off LZ 1. Black Dog is another good one.

Achilles Last Stand.

I do find it slightly interesting that Zep seems to have more staying power than other big acts of its day. In the day, critics and others found their stuff to be a pretty lame rip-off of old blues artists. Zep probably had more to do with the emerging punk movement than any other band -- they were rich, formulaic, and completely derivative. Which is of course what people want today.

I mean, I loved Kashmir when it came out, too ... but I was an immobile pothead (I loved the 20-minute live version of "Slow Ride" too, or Grand Funk's "I'm Your Captain," or, God help me, In-a-gadda-da-vida, baby.). It really is a pretty crappy song. And if I hear Stairway to Heaven one more time, I'll probably have to kill someone.

Love that song, PD! Staying with the same double LP, I'd have to go with "In My Time Of Dying". Love the whole Physical Graffiti thing. Truly shows their diversity. I even like the countryish song "Down By the Seaside" from the same LP. "The Rain Song" is also one of the tops on my list as well as "Over the Hills and Far Away". Too many to list a single tune, but I'll go with my first.

Ursa didn't read the 1st page...again :D

Achilles Last Stand.

I do find it slightly interesting that Zep seems to have more staying power than other big acts of its day. In the day, critics and others found their stuff to be a pretty lame rip-off of old blues artists. Zep probably had more to do with the emerging punk movement than any other band -- they were rich, formulaic, and completely derivative. Which is of course what people want today.

I mean, I loved Kashmir when it came out, too ... but I was an immobile pothead (I loved the 20-minute live version of "Slow Ride" too, or Grand Funk's "I'm Your Captain," or, God help me, In-a-gadda-da-vida, baby.). It really is a pretty crappy song. And if I hear Stairway to Heaven one more time, I'll probably have to kill someone.

Bah. It's beyond contention that Zeppelin became a bloated archetype stadium rock band but to say they were formulaic is a nonsense. Sure, they used their roots for inspiration (as did the Stones, the Who and many other bands who started by listening to obscure American blues) but Zeppelin's versatility was unmatched by anyone. Not only were they versatile, they were damn good at all the different music they tackled. Name another band that were even close. Check out how atrocious all Black Sabbath's efforts at non-HM were - Changes, Laguna Sunrise, all uniformly abysmal padding. Zeppelin's ability to change the pace and change the style from song to song and album to album was and still is incredible. Led Zeppelin 3 contains "Since I've Been Loving You", "Gallows Pole", "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" and "Immigrant Song" - how diverse can one band be while maintaining that level of ability?

• Like 1

The thing that gets me about Led Zepp is that even if it's not my favorite song there is always some part or nuance of it that I really like. I can say with near certainty that there is no Led Zepp song that I do not like in some way or another, even if it's just the simple fact that the musical ability of every one of them impresses the hell out of me and I can say with 100% certainty that there is no other musical artist(s) out there than I can say the same of.

Hell, even their name is freaking cool. :D

Achilles Last Stand.

Favorite Zep song, favorite song period. The producer on that cut should be in some hall of fame.

Since I've Been Lovin' You

Nobody's Fault

and about a hundred others

my Zep playlist contains:

Achilles Last Stand

For Your Life

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Custard Pie

The Rover

Night Flight

The Wanton Song

Boogie With Stu

Black Country Woman

Sick Again

Four Sticks

When the Levee Breaks

Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp

Communication Breakdown

Poor Tom

Walter's Walk

Ozone Baby

Of those, "Sick Again", "Night Flight", and "When the Levee Breaks" are tops for me right now.