[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calvin Johnson

Crazysight

He measured over 6'4 with a 4.35 40 at the combine. This is what was said about his leaping ability: "Johnson, whom some people think is the most talented player in the draft, had a broad jump of 11 feet 7 inches. That's the best broad jump I can ever remember an NFL prospect having. And his vertical jump was outstanding, too (42½ inches)."

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Crazysight

Maybe.

I was wondering what it would cost me, if I were Al Davis, for the first overall pick this year.

It would probably have to involve at least two first round picks plus at least three other "day one" picks over the next two years...depending on how high the first rounder in this years' draft was...maybe more.

the best spot for him right now would be to the Lions :D ...only because the Lions are drafting high and they have Mike Martz....

So the Lions have a choice to make... Be the laughing stock of the NFL by taking yet another WR and having to trade up. Or be the laughing stock of the NFL by NOT taking what appears to be a great potential WR when they can. Either way, they are going to be laughed at.

So the Lions have a choice to make... Be the laughing stock of the NFL by taking yet another WR and having to trade up. Or be the laughing stock of the NFL by NOT taking what appears to be a great potential WR when they can. Either way, they are going to be laughed at.

Now thats a REAL catch-22

He measured over 6'4 with a 4.35 40 at the combine. This is what was said about his leaping ability: "Johnson, whom some people think is the most talented player in the draft, had a broad jump of 11 feet 7 inches. That's the best broad jump I can ever remember an NFL prospect having. And his vertical jump was outstanding, too (42½ inches)."

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.

Is that better than what Moss was able to do back in the late '90s?

Anyone know/remember what RM and AJ ran/measured/lifted/jumped pre-NFL?

Neither ran at the combine. And this is the first year that I can remember where pro day workout results are being made so publicly avalilable.

Edited by godtomsatan

Anyone know/remember what RM and AJ ran/measured/lifted/jumped pre-NFL?

it was always widely claimed that moss ran a 4.25. and 6'4 with a 40 inch vertical.

had to search around for andre...

Thursday, March 6, 2003

Johnson's size, speed impresses scouts

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the name of the position was wide athlete and not wide receiver, University of Miami star Andre Johnson certainly would have solidified his status as a premier draft choice on Thursday, as Hurricanes players staged their on-campus workout for NFL scouts.

The chances are still excellent that Johnson will be among the initial 10 prospects selected on April 26 but, during the workout, his receiving skills were clearly secondary to his overall athletic prowess.

Johnson's size and speed should make him a top 10 pick during next month's draft.

"I wouldn't label him a 'body catcher,' because he does grab the ball out in front of him, but he doesn't look really that natural (as a receiver)," said one personnel director. "He doesn't have those real, soft hands, you know?" One college scouting director termed Johnson's showing in the receiving drills on Thursday "a little average."

There was nothing ordinary, however, about Johnson's performance in the athletic drills. While he dropped the first pass thrown to him in the position-specific work, there were no bobbles in the drills that preceded it.

Johnson was timed at between 4.42-4.48, according to three scouts, in his first 40-yard dash. On the second, he ran between 4.37-4.40, scouts said. He also recorded a 41-inch vertical jump, a long jump of 10-feet, 9-inches, and a time of about 4.10 seconds in the short shuttle drill.

Notable was that Johnson, universally assessed as one of the top two wide receivers in this year's draft pool, was measured at 6-feet-1 7/8 and at 224 pounds. That is one-eighth of an inch shorter, and six pounds lighter, than he was at the recent NFL combine workouts.

The other highly-regarded wide receiver this year, Michigan State standout Charles Rogers, is scheduled to work out for scouts on March 18.

The explosive Johnson had 52 receptions for 1,092 yards and nine scores in 2002. Over the last two seasons, he averaged 19.9 yards per catch and also scored 19 touchdowns.

Not surprisingly, the Miami workout was attended by representatives from virtually every team in the league. The Hurricanes had five players chosen in the first round in 2002. That will be difficult to match this year, but the school figures to have at least three first-round selections.

Defensive tackle William Joseph was clocked at 5.16-5.20 on Thursday and had a 30-inch vertical jump. Defensive ends Jerome McDougle and Andrew Williams both ran in the mid-4.6 range. A third end, Jamaal Green, was not able to work out because of recent arthroscopic knee surgery.

Lets not forget the players the Lions took were all high on everyones board. Had the Lions not took them where they did, someone else would have. I believe the lack of production from 2 of those 3 is from a lack of the coaching staff being able to develop them into pro talents.

Lets not forget the players the Lions took were all high on everyones board. Had the Lions not took them where they did, someone else would have. I believe the lack of production from 2 of those 3 is from a lack of the coaching staff being able to develop them into pro talents.

Charles Rogers has been injured too much to blame the coaches. You might have a point with Mike Williams, but it sounds like he has some of a role in his non-development to this point.

Still can't get over the Texans decision to pass on Bush.

Or the fact that they didn't trade down to get something in return if they didn't want him. That front office rivals the Raiders' in terms of drafting stupidity.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Or the fact that they didn't trade down to get something in return if they didn't want him. That front office rivals the Raiders' in terms of drafting stupidity.

Or maybe they tried and no one bit on the trade. I thought I had heard that they did try to deal the 1st pick. Maybe I made it up.

Or maybe they tried and no one bit on the trade. I thought I had heard that they did try to deal the 1st pick. Maybe I made it up.

I heard that they felt that they were getting low-balled and just gave up. Come on, you've got to get SOMETHING for the #1 overall pick... even if you stupidly acted like you had no interest in the consensus best player available.

IMO the Lions should take Calvin Johnson if available. Still can't get over the Texans decision to pass on Bush.

In hindsight, Bush shouldn't have been the pick. Vince Young would have relaunched that franchise. Now they have to watch him come to town once a year, and beat up on them.

Not taking Vince Young might haunt that franchise for the next 15 years, especially as they grope around looking to replace David Carr.

I heard that they felt that they were getting low-balled and just gave up. Come on, you've got to get SOMETHING for the #1 overall pick... even if you stupidly acted like you had no interest in the consensus best player available.

It couldn't have been $$$, could it? Any idea what the $$ difference is between Bush and Williams contract?

Also any idea how much it cost Bush for not being the number one draft pick?