[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting article about SB rings

CaptainHook

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has decided to keep the production of Super Bowl rings for his NFL championship team right at home.

Indianapolis-based Herff Jones, a manufacturer of class rings and various types of awards since 1920, has been presented the contract to produce the Super Bowl rings for Irsay's league champions.

The decision by Irsay is a groundbreaker for Herff Jones and something of an upset in the business of making Super Bowl jewelry. Herff Jones was awarded its first Super Bowl contract over Jostens. The Minneapolis-based company has produced rings for 27 Super Bowl champions, including eight of the past 10.

"The key thing to me was if all things were equal, I really wanted to make sure we went local,'' Irsay said Sunday. "I believe any time you can keep the business in the state, it's positive.''

Herff Jones president Joe Slaughter declined comment Sunday.

It's difficult to gauge the financial impact for Herff Jones. At a bare minimum, it will produce 75 Super Bowl rings worth a maximum of $5,000 each, which is paid for by the NFL. That per-ring cost is a self-imposed cap by NFL owners, preventing one extravagant owner from one-upping another in terms of lavishness.

"We basically put in a policy to protect ourselves from ourselves,'' Irsay said.

The 75 rings, though, are just the beginning, since they won't accommodate everyone Irsay believes merits one. The 53 players on the active roster for the Super Bowl will receive one, as will coach Tony Dungy and his 16 assistants. Include Irsay, president Bill Polian and other selected administrative and front-office individuals, and the allotment provided by the NFL is virtually exhausted.

The cost for additional rings will come out of Irsay's pocket. He wasn't prepared to comment on who will receive a Super Bowl ring beyond the active-roster players, coaching staff and top team officials.

"To me, the ring is a sacred thing,'' Irsay said. "All of those deserving will obviously be rewarded with a ring.''

In lieu of a Super Bowl ring, some in the organization might receive another keepsake such as a pendant, watch or scaled-down ring. Other accessories will be available for individuals to purchase on their own.

Irsay anticipates holding a ring ceremony in early June. If possible, players who will receive rings but are no longer with the team -- free agent departures such as Cato June, Dominic Rhodes and Nick Harper -- will be included.

The actual design of the diamond-studded ring remains a secret, but it will have a definite Irsay influence. Along with the owner and senior executive vice president Pete Ward, Irsay's wife, Meg, and daughters Carlie, Casey and Kalen contributed to the ring's design, which will prominently feature the franchise's horseshoe.

from Indy Star

If possible, players who will receive rings but are no longer with the team -- free agent departures such as Cato June, Dominic Rhodes and Nick Harper -- will be included.

Does this mean there's a chance these 3 won't get rings? That would be wrong, IMO. Or am I reading his jibberish incorrectly?

Does this mean there's a chance these 3 won't get rings? That would be wrong, IMO. Or am I reading his jibberish incorrectly?

The way I read it is they will get rings, but may not be included in the ring ceremony.

I met a guy in Cincinnati that made them (or the dies for the). He was a golf buddy of a guy I worked for. It was pretty interesting.

I worked at the Jostens in Texas... I worked on the Steelers rings, along with some Notre Dame LSU and Navy FB rings... Crazy job. Destroys your hands.

I have long believed that it would be cool for a team who won a championship to give some rings out to their top season ticket holders. In this case, who's been a season tix holder for 20 + years? Invite them to the ceremony as well and hand them a ring.

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has decided to keep the production of Super Bowl rings for his NFL championship team right at home.

Indianapolis-based Herff Jones, a manufacturer of class rings and various types of awards since 1920, has been presented the contract to produce the Super Bowl rings for Irsay's league champions.

The decision by Irsay is a groundbreaker for Herff Jones and something of an upset in the business of making Super Bowl jewelry. Herff Jones was awarded its first Super Bowl contract over Jostens. The Minneapolis-based company has produced rings for 27 Super Bowl champions, including eight of the past 10.

"The key thing to me was if all things were equal, I really wanted to make sure we went local,'' Irsay said Sunday. "I believe any time you can keep the business in the state, it's positive.''

Herff Jones president Joe Slaughter declined comment Sunday.

It's difficult to gauge the financial impact for Herff Jones. At a bare minimum, it will produce 75 Super Bowl rings worth a maximum of $5,000 each, which is paid for by the NFL. That per-ring cost is a self-imposed cap by NFL owners, preventing one extravagant owner from one-upping another in terms of lavishness.

"We basically put in a policy to protect ourselves from ourselves,'' Irsay said.

The 75 rings, though, are just the beginning, since they won't accommodate everyone Irsay believes merits one. The 53 players on the active roster for the Super Bowl will receive one, as will coach Tony Dungy and his 16 assistants. Include Irsay, president Bill Polian and other selected administrative and front-office individuals, and the allotment provided by the NFL is virtually exhausted.

The cost for additional rings will come out of Irsay's pocket. He wasn't prepared to comment on who will receive a Super Bowl ring beyond the active-roster players, coaching staff and top team officials.

"To me, the ring is a sacred thing,'' Irsay said. "All of those deserving will obviously be rewarded with a ring.''

In lieu of a Super Bowl ring, some in the organization might receive another keepsake such as a pendant, watch or scaled-down ring. Other accessories will be available for individuals to purchase on their own.

Irsay anticipates holding a ring ceremony in early June. If possible, players who will receive rings but are no longer with the team -- free agent departures such as Cato June, Dominic Rhodes and Nick Harper -- will be included.

The actual design of the diamond-studded ring remains a secret, but it will have a definite Irsay influence. Along with the owner and senior executive vice president Pete Ward, Irsay's wife, Meg, and daughters Carlie, Casey and Kalen contributed to the ring's design, which will prominently feature the franchise's horseshoe.

from Indy Star

Except for, you know, things like moving the actual team out of the state. :D

Hopefully next year a better team will win the SB. The Colts are one of the more mediocre teams to win it in recent memory.

:D Yes, a team with HOF players like Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison, as well as Pro Bowlers Tarik Glenn, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Bob Sanders, Cato June, and Dwight Freeney will be looked back upon as one of the more mediocre teams of all time. They basically have been one year wonders, and will sink back to the mediocrity they are used to over the last 8 years. :D wait . . .

Edited by CaptainHook

Hopefully next year a better team will win the SB. The Colts are one of the more mediocre teams to win it in recent memory.

They're certainly one of the few teams with a mediocre regular-season defense to ever win a SB. That said, those guys somehow managed to "flip the switch" and play like studs agains the run in the post-season.

But the team as a whole is very far from mediocre. No mediocre team would've gotten past Baltimore and New England in the playoffs last year. And they've probably had the best regular-season record since the late '90s.

I would say your bait sucks, but it caught a couple of replies. Hopefully your just :D and not serious :D

They're certainly one of the few teams with a mediocre regular-season defense to ever win a SB. That said, those guys somehow managed to "flip the switch" and play like studs agains the run in the post-season.

But the team as a whole is very far from mediocre. No mediocre team would've gotten past Baltimore and New England in the playoffs last year. And they've probably had the best regular-season record since the late '90s.

They just don't strike me as a GREAT team. I know they have some very good players and they definitely have been explosive at times. I just got the sense from watching the playoffs and SB that they only won because their opponents choked (Pats) or their competition was weaker than what you would see in the postseason most years. I don't see myself watching America's Game in 20 years and thinking of them in the same vein as the 49ers, Steelers, or Cowboys of decades past.

But they were good enough this year so hats off to them. :D

If you want to get information on Super Bowl rings, do NOT ask Philadelphia Eagles fans, coaches, or players, they can't help you.

Edited by Menudo

They just don't strike me as a GREAT team. I know they have some very good players and they definitely have been explosive at times. I just got the sense from watching the playoffs and SB that they only won because their opponents choked (Pats) or their competition was weaker than what you would see in the postseason most years. I don't see myself watching America's Game in 20 years and thinking of them in the same vein as the 49ers, Steelers, or Cowboys of decades past.

But they were good enough this year so hats off to them. :D

I don't think that anybody claimed that they were a "great" team.

LOL at the "choking" and "weak competition" comments. You seem to have confused the '06 AFC with the NFC. NOBODY in the NFC would've beaten the Colts, Patriots or Chargers last year. I doubt that they would've beaten the Ravens, either. The AFC was pretty strong this past season.