[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

classless in nashville

Azazello1313

That is a f'n joke. Robidas was coming over to goon up on little Tootoo, but Tootoo was waiting for him with a straight right hand. You want to act like a goon, then you get whats coming to you. Its bad that Robidas got hurt, but it was his own fault.

Robidas was quoted as saying after the punch by TooToo he didnt feel like he was in Kansas anymore

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually gotta agree with spain on the tootoo thing. here's a link.

:D That is f'n awesome! Robidas was coming over to blast Tootoo and Tootoo saw it him coming. He skated right into a straight right hand to the grill. For the league to suspend Tootoo for 5 games is a joke!

:D That is f'n awesome! Robidas was coming over to blast Tootoo and Tootoo saw it him coming. He skated right into a straight right hand to the grill. For the league to suspend Tootoo for 5 games is a joke!

i agree. if robidas doesn't get knocked out, he probably gets the instigator and NASHVILLE goes on the PP.

"In reviewing this incident, Stephane Robidas appeared to be initiating a confrontation by approaching Jordin Tootoo," said NHL Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "While a player is entitled to defend himself, Mr. Tootoo's forceful blow to Robidas' head was an overly aggressive and inappropriate response. The fact that Mr. Tootoo's actions resulted in an injury to his opponent also was a factor in this decision.''

This is lame! Its not that his actions were wrong, but that the instigator got hurt. Please hockey junkies, explain how a 5 game suspension is the correct punishment here...

"In reviewing this incident, Stephane Robidas appeared to be initiating a confrontation by approaching Jordin Tootoo," said NHL Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "While a player is entitled to defend himself, Mr. Tootoo's forceful blow to Robidas' head was an overly aggressive and inappropriate response. The fact that Mr. Tootoo's actions resulted in an injury to his opponent also was a factor in this decision.''

This is lame! Its not that his actions were wrong, but that the instigator got hurt. Please hockey junkies, explain how a 5 game suspension is the correct punishment here...

even though Robidas approached him, he did not make an agressive move towards him. Had Robidas came up to him and tried to hit him or punch him, it would have been different. Tootoo got the suspension because Robidas was skating towards him, but was not making aggressive action towards him.

As a Whaler fan, I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

As a Whaler fan it must bring you great joy to see your franchise finally win a championship, albeit after they moved to Carolina and became the Hurricanes. :D

Go Lightning!

It's a tough call. If Tootoo doesn't do anything, he might get sucker punched, instead, he takes the initiative. I think the suspension is legit. The league has to do away with sucker punches and stick fouls and some of the goonery that goes on. Anyone who compares today's NHL to "old time hockey" might as well compare humping a sheep to banging a chicken (I'm trying to put it in laymen's terms for Spain). It's a different game. Totally.

even though Robidas approached him, he did not make an agressive move towards him. Had Robidas came up to him and tried to hit him or punch him, it would have been different. Tootoo got the suspension because Robidas was skating towards him, but was not making aggressive action towards him.

umm, i sorta have to disagree that coming over with the clear intention of fighting the guy is "not making an aggressive move toward him".

the league here is (lamely, IMO) punishing the result and not the crime.

umm, i sorta have to disagree that coming over with the clear intention of fighting the guy is "not making an aggressive move toward him".

i agree that he was probably coming over to fight him, but at the time the punch was thrown, Robidas was not yet making a fighting action towards him. That's why Tootoo was suspended. Had Tootoo waited a few moments, Robidas probably would have hit him, but that's not how it worked out.

so this weekend, at the stars/preds game (that's NHL for those of you in NASCAR country), mike modano tied and then broke the record for goals by an american player with 502 and 503, respectively. you'd think this would at least be worth a mention on the PA in an american city. but nope, nothing. :D

Tuesday, 03/20/07

Poile: Stars' president unprofessional

By JOHN GLENNON

Staff Writer

Comments by Dallas Stars President Jim Lites ripping the Predators were surprising, disappointing and "extremely unprofessional,'' Predators General Manager David Poile said Monday.

In Monday's edition of The Dallas Morning News, Lites charged the Preds with "failing the game'' for not publicly recognizing Mike Modano's record-setting goal in Saturday's game at Nashville Arena, tore into Coach Barry Trotz for defending forward Jordin Tootoo and took shots at the franchise's economic state and scheduling preference.

"Perhaps he should take that up with the commissioner or probably he should contact the Predators directly," Poile said. "That's extremely unprofessional on Lites' behalf. I can't think for a second that we would ever do or say something like that about Dallas. It's uncalled for and I'm sure we'll take that up with the commissioner.''

The NHL noticed the Lites comments, league spokesman Frank Brown. He said Commissioner Gary Bettman already had contacted Lites.

"(Bettman) thought those comments were inappropriate and that was conveyed by the commissioner to the Stars,'' Brown said.

Brown wouldn't say if Lites is subject to disciplinary action.

Preds changed course

Lites' primary beef was that the Predators didn't officially recognize Modano, who scored the 502nd and 503rd goals of his career to move into first place among American-born players.

Poile said the Stars had not contacted Nashville regarding any special recognition if Modano reached the milestone, outside of a request that he receive the goal-netting. That request was granted.

"There's a protocol within the league when there is a team that has a player having a milestone,'' Poile said. "We never heard anything from them. I know if we had a player that was approaching a milestone, we would have contacted that team and made whatever request we thought was appropriate.''

The Preds had planned on an announcement, Poile said.

But late in the game Modano was involved in an altercation with Tootoo that led Modano to swing his stick down over Tootoo's back after Tootoo punched Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas.

Fans booed Modano, and when he scored his historic goal less than a minute later, booing increased. That's when the Preds decided against an announcement, Poile said.

"Everyone saw (Modano) hit Tootoo in the back with his stick,'' Poile said. "He was getting booed by everybody when he scored the goal. I think good judgment prevailed. I think if something was unveiled to recognize or honor him at that time, it could have been an uncomfortable situation in that building.'''Taken aback'

Lites tied Modano's situation to other gripes on the Preds.

"I understand it's a competitive situation, but we're also working together to sell the game,'' Lites told The Dallas Morning News.

"They get more money from revenue sharing than any team in the league, they voted against the new schedule because they wanted to have an easier schedule for themselves. They take and take and take and take and never give back, and I'm sick of it.''

Poile said Lites never had been in contact with the Predators regarding any such complaints.

"Obviously we were very surprised and taken aback by what he had to say,'' Poile said. "I mean when you think about it, he does not have knowledge to comment on our financial situation directly, and secondly, he's publicly divulging our private vote.''

As a Whaler fan it must bring you great joy to see your franchise finally win a championship, albeit after they moved to Carolina and became the Hurricanes. :D

Go Lightning!

the day they left Hartford was the day the ceased to be "my franchise"

I've had to revert to rooting for the Red Wings because I grew up going to the Adirondack Red Wings games with my grandparents. :D

Tootoo makes a LEGAL check of Modano. I dont think anyone disputes that fact Tootoo made a very legal play. Well, Stephen Robidas comes skating over to beat up Tootoo because he didnt think another teams player should be able to LEGALLY check one his teams star players. But when he came over, Tootoo was waiting on him with a vicious punch right to the grill!

:D Yeah, that sounds like him.

Colin Campbell. "While a player is entitled to defend himself, Mr. Tootoo's forceful blow to Robidas' head was an overly aggressive and inappropriate response. The fact that Mr. Tootoo's actions resulted in an injury to his opponent also was a factor in this decision.''

Pretty clear - the league only punishes when it leads to injury.

i agree that he was probably coming over to fight him, but at the time the punch was thrown, Robidas was not yet making a fighting action towards him. That's why Tootoo was suspended. Had Tootoo waited a few moments, Robidas probably would have hit him, but that's not how it worked out.

I think the punch was a cheap shot..he basically punched him while his guard was down before they squared up..Weak sauce right there.

I think the punch was a cheap shot..he basically punched him while his guard was down before they squared up..Weak sauce right there.

For one, his guard wasnt down. He was raising his hands and his stick in a posture to blow up Tootoo. Go watch it again. And I never understood the notion that you should allow somebody to throw the first punch. If you do so, they might knock you out. That dude was obviously coming over there to knock down a much smaller Jordan Tootoo. Tootoo made a pre-emptive strike to prevent the other guy from launching him into the boards. Dude should have had his guard up as he was fast approaching Tootoo to do him harm. It was not a cheap shot at all as the guy was not only facing Tootoo but was being the aggressor in moving rapidly toward him with his hands and stick raised. He just got tagged by a quicker player.

For one, his guard wasnt down. He was raising his hands and his stick in a posture to blow up Tootoo. Go watch it again. And I never understood the notion that you should allow somebody to throw the first punch. If you do so, they might knock you out. That dude was obviously coming over there to knock down a much smaller Jordan Tootoo. Tootoo made a pre-emptive strike to prevent the other guy from launching him into the boards. Dude should have had his guard up as he was fast approaching Tootoo to do him harm. It was not a cheap shot at all as the guy was not only facing Tootoo but was being the aggressor in moving rapidly toward him with his hands and stick raised. He just got tagged by a quicker player.

Hockey players usually square up

Edited by whomper

I have a hunch Robidas wasn't skating over to pat his butt on the good hit.