[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears get Archuleta

Randall

Lovie Smith, who was Adam Archuleta's defensive coordinator in St. Louis, has been trying to acquire the safety since becoming the head coach in Chicago.

On Tuesday, the Bears completed a trade with the Redskins for the 29-year-old. Chicago gave up a 2007 draft choice, believed to be in the sixth round.

After five seasons in St. Louis, Archuleta struggled in his first season with the Redskins in 2006 and was scheduled to be a backup this season in Washington.

To complete this complicated deal, the Bears had to rework Archuleta's contract. He had a guaranteed $5 million option bonus due last week, but with hopes of getting a trade, Archuleta delayed the execution of that payout until Wednesday.

Faced with the deadline, everyone worked on getting a deal done. The Bears will pay Archuleta $8.1 million over the next three years. The Redskins rid themselves of his $25 million contract. A total of $5 million of Archuleta's new deal in Chicago is guaranteed.

The Bears were looking for a playmaker at the safety position. Smith created defenses involving Archuleta when they were in St. Louis. In Chicago, Archuleta will have more opportunities to make plays at the line of scrimmage.

The Redskins made another move in the defensive backfield on Tuesday, reaching agreement on a one-year deal with safety Omar Stoutmire. Stoutmire, who played for Washington in 2005, has also played for the Cowboys, Jets, Giants, and Saints in his 10-year NFL career.

Really not sure this is a good pick-up. The dude is horrible in coverage.

He was last year, but I think Lovie knows better how to use him. He may be able to design schemes keeping him near the LOS. We'll see.

:D I like this a lot. When he played for STL, I really liked his aggression. Good fit for the Bears.

I don't know what the heck happened in Washington, but Archuletta was a great in run support in STL.

So I take it this means that Mike Brown is getting cut? Not sure if he still has the speed to play FS after the Achilles tear, so that may make him the odd man out.

:D

I don’t see the bears getting a better safety with our 6th round pick. And they have cap room.

Goodbye Mike Brown unless you want to restructure your deal.

Edit to fix my question.

Question: what is the defensive Scheme in Washington?

Edited by whitem0nkey

I agree with Hook here. He's a liability in pass coverage.

Well now we have Archuleta as a strong safety, Manning as a free safety, and brown can play both. So we can mix and match for the diff packages, lowering his pass liability.

And Smith knows how to use Archuleta, 116 tackles in 2002 under smith.

Edited by whitem0nkey

Seems like very low price to pay for a guy that Lovie thinks can contribute.

The homer in me likes the fact that Da Bears traded for a guy in the same position as Mike Brown who was largely credited by many a Bear fan a primary reason their defense transforming from devastating to just really good last year.

I also like the fact that Danieal Manning was on my taxi squad last year and seemed to do quite well when he got the PT.

Edited by bushwacked

I thought he was a good addition last year but he sucked in pass coverage and couldnt get on the same page as Williams. I like him though, and hopefully he does a good job for the Bears.

His signing and release are another reason the Redskins need a solid GM.

My calendar says it's 2007. :D

I hear you, but its not like he is 34 or at the end of his playing days, he is 29. Now i don’t expect 116 tackles that was a career year. but he did not just loose all the athleticism he had in ST. Louis.

quick side not he is dating Jennifer Walcott :D

Edited by whitem0nkey

I know the Bears were very worried about Brown being ready for the start of the season, and possibly well into the season, and maybe not being able to fully recover at all.

I'd guess this confirms their worst fears about Brown - he most probably will not be ready.

That's a great spot for Archuleta, though. His game & Brown's game are very similar - predominantly run support and then reading & ducking into passing lanes in coverage.

From a Chicago Sun Times artricle. Watching how this develops could be interesting-

"The Bears are also believed to be exploring the possibility of moving free safety Danieal Manning to cornerback, which could give them some depth with Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher set to be unrestricted free agents next March. It's expected the Bears will target Tillman for a long-term extension, and that's a move that will come at a high cost."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear21.article

From a Chicago Sun Times artricle. Watching how this develops could be interesting-

"The Bears are also believed to be exploring the possibility of moving free safety Danieal Manning to cornerback, which could give them some depth with Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher set to be unrestricted free agents next March. It's expected the Bears will target Tillman for a long-term extension, and that's a move that will come at a high cost."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear21.article

I'm not sure that I'd give Tillman a big contract. He's good, but I've seen him get burned a few times and he's given up big plays in the playoffs. He gave up TDs to Steve Smith and Colston as the result of him slipping and falling on his arse in consecutive years.