[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How I became a music pirate

loaf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. I have completely ignored the so-called MP3 revolution and the whole farrago of crap that is the digital rights management arena. I have stayed with CDs because the whole music download world is a crock of low quality crap.

So I called Rhino customer support and after an 8 minute wait spoke with a representative. She informed me that the files were indeed copy protected so that I could only play them on specific music players, most notably not iTunes.

"You don't understand," I said, "These files were not copied or pirated, I actually purchased them."

"Well" she responded, "You didn't actually purchase the files, you really purchased a license to listen to the music, and the license is very specific about how they can be played or listened to."

Now I was baffled. "Records never came with any such restrictions," I said.

She replied, "Well they were supposed to, but we weren't able to enforce those licenses back then, and now we can"

She later went on to explain that I could burn the songs to a CD and listen to them in a regular CD player, but I would need an additional Windows based music player to listen to them on my computer. But either way, she suggested there was no way the files could be played on my iPod.

:D to the music industry.

You know when I first read the title of this thread, I thought gay week started all over again. I hear pirate and think butt pirate and thought Loaf was going to be telling about the time at band camp when he played his first ever skin flute. :D Silly me.

I had tunes that I had BOUGHT from musicmatch or something like it. I had tried to export them to import into iTunes. No can do, copy protected WAV files. I deleted them and bought them all over again from iTunes.

It's not free music that drives some people to piracy,
Well maybe not entirely. Don't hurt though.

:D to the music industry.

Exactly.

I just saw on the news where CD sales have dropped 7 years in a row and this year alone have dropped 20%. sniffle

You know when I first read the title of this thread, I thought gay week started all over again. I hear pirate and think butt pirate and thought Loaf was going to be telling about the time at band camp when he played his first ever skin flute. :D Silly me.

Another swing and a miss..............

iTunes is complete bullSega!. Runs like a hog, takes 14 attempts to import a file, and is just a clunker in general. I've heard it runs good on a mac, super, I'm still not buying one. And really, who is Apple to decide how many devices you can play something on?

So, here's what you do. D/L and install this piece of freeware called Floola @ www.floola.com. It lets you import and export files from iPods, drops them onto your h/d and strips the DRM bullSega!, as well as a host of other interesting things.

Edit: OK I lied, it does let you rip songs from an iPod, but the DRM hooey will still follow you around like that fat girl in 8th grade that used to leave notes in your locker and stalk you on the way home and kill your rabbits (I'm looking at you, Amber)

so it looks like the old method of burning a CD then ripping from the CD is still the way to go

Edited by Ill Nuts

So is starting unecessary wars based on lies and deceit.

Well, everyone might as well stop posting now.

As to the topic at hand, I think the record industry's death-grip on their outmoded business model is doing it more harm than good. Those who "love" music will say "f*ck it" soon enough.

So is paying the artist a nickel per CD

No artist has to accept that. Dont pretend yer some sort of noble Robin Hood figure fighting the man and protecting artists from evil record companies by stealing property.

If you illegally copy music or movies yer just a thief. Period.

As to the topic at hand, I think the record industry's death-grip on their outmoded business model is doing it more harm than good. Those who "love" music will say "f*ck it" soon enough.

this is the heart of the discussion. the music industry is becoming obsolete as we speak and they are fighting tooth and nail to hold on to all the profits they can before they become irrelevant. the ability to distribute your music now no longer depends on an industry to produce and distribute discs. they are trying to use a radically different medium to enforce an archaic model and it will not last. better business models, such as itunes, will continue to emerge to take the old power players out of the game.

oh, and itunes runs like a charm on the mac. i love it.

I had tunes that I had BOUGHT from musicmatch or something like it. I had tried to export them to import into iTunes. No can do, copy protected WAV files. I deleted them and bought them all over again from iTunes.

I bought a bunch of songs from the "new" Napster. I don't use iTunes. When I upgraded to the latest and greatest Windows Media Player, I lost a bunch of songs from Napster due to DRM issues. I bought the songs, I want to hear them! Some were no longer available for download (mainly remixes). I was able to redownload some of them... but what a pain!

Next time I upgrade, I'll make sure I have a backup copy of my songs... sans the DRM.

Being a thief is wrong.

So is DRM.

I bought a bunch of songs from the "new" Napster. I don't use iTunes. When I upgraded to the latest and greatest Windows Media Player, I lost a bunch of songs from Napster due to DRM issues. I bought the songs, I want to hear them! Some were no longer available for download (mainly remixes). I was able to redownload some of them... but what a pain!

Next time I upgrade, I'll make sure I have a backup copy of my songs... sans the DRM.

So is DRM.

If you are talking about digital rights management laws and technology, I generally agree with you that they are out of control. But that isnt a justification to steal like some claim.

Oh well... not gonna stop me from trying. And that was some good chit too. I waste alot of good, solid humor on this board. :D

Actually now that you've acknowledged that it was a swing and a miss it really becomes more of a foul tip. Thanks for the upgrade! :D

Are you talking?

Hi

So is paying the artist a nickel per CD

I think the thing is that with the long tail and internet-ization of music media, the large companies are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Sure, it's GREAT for a band to have the resources of a large company behind them, but the future appears to be in MUCH higher profits on a smaller sales base.

Actually now that you've acknowledged that it was a swing and a miss it really becomes more of a foul tip. Thanks for the upgrade! :D

.....and another miss.

If you are talking about digital rights management laws and technology, I generally agree with you that they are out of control. But that isnt a justification to steal like some claim.

In general, I have always agreed with your stance on illegal downloading. Personally, I never have done this. It is theft, however it is dressed up as rebellion or whatever. Nevertheless, the whole DRM thing is becoming ridiculous. If digital downloads really are the future, then fragmenting the download capability so that music will only play on certain devices and, in general, lessening the portability of the music from where it has always been is totally counter-productive. The music industry deserves everything it is getting.

It has always been legal to copy music you have purchased for your own use e.g. taping an LP, copying an LP to CD (something I am still wading my way through). All music used to play on all devices intended to play it - there was no restriction on who made your cassette player - the tape would play in any player.

Forcing the use of certain players and making people double up in many cases will hasten the death of this dinosaur.