[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jarrett runs mediocre 40s

Bronco Billy

From GBN:

USC WR Dwayne Jarrett ran his 40s in 4.67 and 4.62 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.20 and the three-cone drill in 7.28. He also had a 36½-inch vertical and a 10-foot-1 broad jump. Jarrett weighed in at 214 lbs. so that 40 time would have to be considered rather average. Those comparisons to former Trojan and current Lions WR Mike Williams will continue to haunt Jarrett as he might have some trouble separating from pro corners. His production doesn't lie though and a team looking for a big possession receiver who can find the endzone will find Jarrett tough to overlook.

So Jarrett runs the pedestrian 40s that were predicted when he skipped the combine. With Bowe & Meachem doing well at the combine, along with Bowe's superb Senior Bowl performance, Jarrett probably now moves down in the pecking order at WR into a tier with Ginn & Rice as to which will be the 4th WR off the board.

As a FF owner, this makes me happy - especially if I've got a mid-round 1st round pick in a dynasty draft. I'm the type that believes that actual production is a bit more important than sexy measureables, and guys don't play the game in shorts & tees. Jarrett has put up spectacular red zone numbers, and he's going to overmatch a lot of CBs physically even if he can't outrun them. If he keeps his head on straight, this is a guy who can be very, very productive in the NFL for a long time.

If he keeps his head on straight, this is a guy who can be very, very productive in the NFL for a long time.

Not if the Chiefs draft him he wont. :D

Maybe Jarrett will make it all the way down to the Chiefs pick in the 2nd round ... I doubt it, but a guy can hope.

PS - This homer is hoping for Joe Staley, OT in the 1st round...either that, or that every other team in the NFL will somehow miraculously forget about Amobi Okoye.

Jarrett has put up spectacular red zone numbers

So did Mike Williams :D

FWIW, I think Jarrett will be fine in the pros. But then again, I think Ginn will be a bust.

Jarrett is going to be a beast at the next level. Boldin ran a 4.6 as well, and he isnt doing too badly.

Shhhhh :D

I have to agree with everybody, it's silly IMO to judge any receiver on just speed alone. Jerry Rice was never really that fast & he was the greatest to ever play the game.

Edited by rajncajn

Jerry Rice reportedly ran a 4.6 or 4.7 second 40-yard dash (regarded as mediocre figures for a wide receiver). He went out to play 13 Pro Bowls, win 3 Super Bowls, and break numerous NFL records (at the time of his retirement he had 28 NFL records). Said former teammate Ronnie Lott, "Jerry may been a 4.6 or a 4.7, but he was a 4.2 on Sundays." Rice was also generally noted for being able to run as fast a 40-yard dash under the weight of heavy NFL padding as he was in track gear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_yard_dash

Williams had the rep of being lazy/prima donna-ish even while at USC.

I haven't heard a peep about Jarrett being like that.

Matter of fact, it's the opposite.

And I am very concerned that my views on Jarrett and Ginn line up with Bronco's.

That just can't be good.

And I am very concerned that my views on Jarrett and Ginn line up with Bronco's.

That just can't be good.

:D

40 times don't mean squat, how fast do you move as a football player?

Hines Ward caught a pass across the middle in the Falcon game last year and with only one shoe on outran one time NFL fastest man D. Hall. It appeared Hall was within reach all the way and never gained any ground. I guarantee in 40 yard times between the 2 players, that would seem impossible to happen.

some people move faster in pads and with a football in their hands or in their route running than others.

That just can't be good.

You know what they say about the blind squirrel. :D

40 times don't mean squat, how fast do you move as a football player?

Hines Ward caught a pass across the middle in the Falcon game last year and with only one shoe on outran one time NFL fastest man D. Hall. It appeared Hall was within reach all the way and never gained any ground. I guarantee in 40 yard times between the 2 players, that would seem impossible to happen.

some people move faster in pads and with a football in their hands or in their route running than others.

I can remember not to clearly though, but I do believe Ward had a hugh angle advantage on that play and used every bit of it to play keep away from Hall. Although I do agree with the point that some people move faster in pads (than other guys even though they were slower in street clothes) and with a football in their hands or in their route running than others.

You know what they say about the blind squirrel. :D

That it still has teeth and can do damage to my roof, so I want him caught and taken far away.

By the way I just passed the 4,000 k mark. :D

Edited by irish

I can remember not to clearly though, but I do believe Ward had a hugh angle advantage on that play and used every bit of it to play keep away from Hall.

I wish youtube still had plays left on the internet, But I mentioned this play cause Hall barely gained on Ward at all and the way I remember it, Hall was chasing directly behind and there was little angle involved. Maybe I am wrong though. Anyone have this video?

I wish youtube still had plays left on the internet, But I mentioned this play cause Hall barely gained on Ward at all and the way I remember it, Hall was chasing directly behind and there was little angle involved. Maybe I am wrong though. Anyone have this video?

Was this it?