[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

virginia tech shooting

dmarc117

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this story of one of the victims - a teacher who tried to protect his students - moving. Holocaust survivor's last act of heroism.

Surprised no one has posted this before. I was going to post but I was too lazy to do a search.

GB the fact that we have people like Prof Librescu to make a little good feeling come out of this f()ckin' mess.

Which is why I don't tune into those channels.

True but my wife likes the Today Show which she had on this morning and of course it's all over there. My kids walk in to the room just waking up and one of the first images they see is that clown on the tube until I asked my wife to change the channel to which she did to Fox 2 and ABC which of course had the image on the screen at the exact moment she changed to to those channels, she then changed it to some cartoons.

Fricken joke. Next we'll have some clown like this calling the news agencies to come and cover his shooting of a school or an office building and they will oblige.

Tune in tonight for footage of the XYZ office building shooting our cameras were there live.

I'm totally fine with the fact that you don't like guns. My problems is that you seem to want to take mine away. You're much more likely to be killed in an auto accident - drunk driver or otherwise than killed by a gun. [/color]

Except when someone is killed by a driver, it usually happens on the highway, when the risk is obvious. Getting slaughtered in a classroom...I don't know, I bet if you ask most students, getting shot while in college is a very slim chance. Getting in a car accident on the road? Happens all the time.

Maybe full disclosure is part of the answer...it is a very uneasy feeling for many who detest guns that they don't even know if their kid is playing in a home with guns.

Perhaps, just like automobiles you cite above, gun owners need to register their guns every year. And as a matter of public safety, registered gun owners would have their names on an accessible list which could be checked by concerned parnets/neighbors/etc.

My kids are 7, 5, 3 & 1...and I have no idea if the homes they/we visit have guns in them. That's warped.

If you don't recognize your child is dangerously demented you are at the very least guilty of being a piss poor parent. Unfortunately there seems to be a very high percentage of these so called "parents" now , much more than say 30/40 yrs ago.

I put the blame for tragedy like this and the columbine mess squarely on the back of selfish short sighted parenting, wich IMO is a byproduct of the progressive liberal mentality so revered by some since the 60's .

God forbid a teacher puts a boot in the ass of some punk kid who likes to fight , he may actually learn some respect for authority.

Edited by Front Row

If you don't recognize your child is dangerously demented you are at the very least guilty of being a piss poor parent. Unfortunately there seems to be a very high percentage of these so called "parents" now , much more than say 30/40 yrs ago.

I put the blame for tragedy like this and the columbine mess squarely on the back of selfish short sighted parenting, wich IMO is a byproduct of the progressive liberal mentality so revered by some since the 60's .

God forbid a teacher puts a boot in the ass of some punk kid who likes to fight , he may actually learn some respect for authority.

Ever think the kid might just be a nutcase and it's nothing to do with bad parenting at all?

Ever think the kid might just be a nutcase and it's nothing to do with bad parenting at all?

Wouldn't his parents be aware , if they were attentive ? Others he came into contact with were, And if they knew this (his parents) , should /could they have intervened? Why didn't they?

I just love your always unbiased opinion on how the world is. Its refreshing.

This little korean kid was probably harassed his whole life by bullies who were raised by thier "boot in the ass", small minded, conservative parents thus driving him over the edge. Have you heard his diatribe? It sounds like he has some serious self esteem issues which probably stem from being raised in an conservative, elitist society from which he felt alienated.

Wow, a lot of progressive liberals in here are sticking up for gun rights and acknowledging that a multitiude of complex underlying issues are likely responsible. I find your attempt to simply scapegoat these tragedies equal to the loonies who think the solution should be to make all guns illegal.

Random gun violence is a challenge our society is trying to deal with. To make it a poltical blame game is counterprodcutive and returded.

Edited by bushwacked

Random gun violence is a challenge our society is trying to deal with. To make it a poltical blame game is counterprodcutive and returded.

It's not a blame game, just my opinion about how the change in the family dynamic has affecting the way our kids act. It is a major underlying problem IMO. ie: The rise in random gun violence

It all started with the break down of the family unit. We no longer have a solid family at home with Mom dedicated taking care of the home and raising the children.

Even in today's homes where there are two parents the children are very often an after thought. Parents are more concerned about making money and advancing their careers and having kids seemed like the right thing to do as part of that plan. Parents don't want to be bothered with raising their children, it is easier to pawn them off to a day care and let them raise them. Discipline is a thing of the past, again, because it is too hard.

Because of the lack of structure, rules, discipline you now have kids having kids and things just get worse.

In America today it is all about doing what feels good for you, everybody else be damned. Today's child is becoming much less accountable for his actions until the actions are so severe as to warrant police intervention.

Its only going to get worse.

+1

Should his parents have locked him up in the basement? Its a tough thing for any parent of a 'sick child', but hopefully they at least sought professional help for him at some point.

Have we heard anything from any counselor who worked with him? Of course, the doctor/patient privilege (if they are indeed licensed) probably keeps those details under wraps....

It's not a blame game, just my opinion about how the change in the family dynamic has affecting the way our kids act. It is a major underlying problem IMO. ie: The rise in random gun violence

i dont think it necassarily gun violence, but just violence and disrespect for your fellow human being in general. and the family is where this is taken care of.

It's not a blame game

Don't backpedal after your attempt to dumb this down to a simplistic scapegoat of blaming parenting which you are directly trying to a political philosophy.

A stable family environment is key for healthy human development but there is for a multitude of reasons for the breakdown of that, also. Some people are just plain sick in the head, despite their upbringing.

Edited by bushwacked

I'm not so sure the parents had anything to do with this - the guy was 23 years old - not 16 and living at home. He'd been away to college for 4 years and was about to graduate. From the article from his grandfather, sounds like the kid was off-center from birth. And who knows what the parents did or did not do when the kid was growing up? The man had serious, serious mental problems that seem to go beyond merely bad past experiences.

I want to raise kids in the religious conservative movement where they turn out to be OK city bomber types. It's not terrorism if you blow up your own buildings next door in the name of God. :D

i dont think it necassarily gun violence, but just violence and disrespect for your fellow human being in general.

Without regard to the breakup of the "traditional family", I agree that the lessened sensitivity towards violence and less regard for human life are the two key factors at play here.