[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

when to study

soco

I have an 8 man league and the guys I play with think I am crazy for starting now to study . I start at the NFL draft day and the last 3 years( been playing for 9, basic scoring) I've placed 3,2,2 not to bad . What is the big deal with starting early and how many of you start early? is there any advantage to those who start early and those who bring a newspaper to draft day and still thinks that culpepper plays in Minn. all thoughts welcome. :D

Edited by soco

I have an 8 man league and the guys I play with think I am crazy for starting now to study . I start at the NFL draft day and the last 3 years( been playing for 9, basic scoring) I've placed 3,2,2 not to bad . What is the big deal with starting early and how many of you start early? is there any advantage to those who start early and those who bring a newspaper to draft day and still thinks that culpepper plays in Minn. all thoughts welcome. :D

:D

You don't want my answer. I started about 1 week after the Super Bowl. I've already had 1 rookie draft & have 2 more starting next week.

I love putting in early work...my league mates laugh as well but I keep finishing ini the money.

Hey BB, without revealing too many secrets, what's your process for your off season preparation? I am entering a dynasty league for the first time and really want to know how you prepare and startegize.

Most years I start a little bit before the NFL draft, but, this year been preoccupied with the baby on the way so probably won't get started for a few more weeks.

In keeper and dynasty leagues, you need to to stay on top of the young up and comers you need to keep an eye on.

Wolf - Lay out some of the basics for this dynasty league. Is it a new league from scratch or are you joining an existing league? What is the draft structure (all players in one pool or rookies separated)? Things like that have a significant affect on strategy.

I am at it all year long, for the most part.

A little bit after the draft for me. Fantasy University that DMD runs helped me a lot last year. I drafted Frank Gore and hit gold with some other sleepers.

hey flip I also hit pay dirt with gore and after all the crap I got for drafting him I sure got alot of trade calls for him. hope to get him this year also... :D

First of all, do your leagues allow trades and/or waiver wire work during the off-season. Some do, and some don't. I've already done three trades (mainly for draft picks, but one where I went after Palmer). Have also done four waiver wire pickups, including Vincent Jackson in one dynasty league. (You'd be amazed, if you look, to see what some teams have left on the wire in trying to jockey for a championship run at the end of last year.)

However, mostly I just follow the football news. I watch free agency moves closely and how they might impact any of my teams. I also watch how free agency and retirements have affected other teams in my league. The Palmer deal was one I was able to do with a team that had Tiki Barber and was in extreme pain with their running backs.

And after next week, I really get down to work. I already have four sets of player rankings -- keeper, dynasty, PPR and IDP. And after the draft I plug in the rookies and start fine-tuning the sheets. In leagues that permit it, I also start getting serious about trades. And beginning with my earliest fantasy drafts (two of them in the first half of May), I start fine tuning my draft strategy.

But then, to me, fantasy football isn't just a hobby. It's an illness -- and I'm certifiable.

SuperChiefs / John

Hey BB, without revealing too many secrets, what's your process for your off season preparation? I am entering a dynasty league for the first time and really want to know how you prepare and startegize.

I start by watching all the college football I can. I actually like college football more than pro football, simply because of the variation on the game. Hey, East Carolina is playing Marshall on Thursday night? I'm there camped out in front of the TV!

Then I start collecting names by watching draft sites - there are a few freee ones that watch the college players carefully. If I haven't seen a guy they have a ways up on the list, I'm checking out youtube to see if there's anything on him. If there's not much there, I'm looking for opposing coach's interviews before & after the game. I'll get a lot more for the guy game planning him than I will from his own coach pimping him.

About the middle of February, I'm starting to track draft sites. Do they have an opinion of a player that has shared attributes, and do their opinions match up with mine? I make it a point to ignore the combine as much as possible. There are some stories that can't be ignored, but I've found that I'd rather draft football players than guys with great physical attributes. Those are not always one & the same.

About early April I'm bouncing opinions off others - that's why I really wanted to see Draft U work here. I want to see what others think - especially if I'm missing something or letting a bias jade my opinion. I'm also researching player/coach movement in the NFL to see where teams have/have not addressed needs and/or changed philosophy.

That takes me to about here - where I'm postively giddy & about to burst, waiting for the draft.

This Saturday? :D

I love the draft. Then the really serious stuff starts - where did players go when drafted, how will they probably be utilized & how soon will they be given a shot, and what are my FF league opponents' trends & team weaknesses - I'm looking for players likely to drop & what position they'll likely drop to.

Edited by Bronco Billy

As this is my first post ever to the site, this may not mean much to anyone.

Here goes, I am in several redraft leagues, but normally stay looking into FF things all year. Tracking all player and coach movement. I have often been criticized for beginning to research around the NFL draft. I am consistently in the playoffs in all leagues so I think it is worth it. If you are competitive and like the bragging rights that will follow, don't cave in. Is it really studying if you enjoy it! :D

Here goes, I am in several redraft leagues, but normally stay looking into FF things all year. Tracking all player and coach movement. I have often been criticized for beginning to research around the NFL draft. I am consistently in the playoffs in all leagues so I think it is worth it. If you are competitive and like the bragging rights that will follow, don't cave in. Is it really studying if you enjoy it! :D

Welcome!

And I think all of us here probably study all year long

All posts mean something...we're just not exactly sure what some of the times! Welcome aboard!

The biggest thing for me is keeping up with FA moves and then getting through the draft to see where the talent pool lands and if said talent is in a good fit. I do some rough drafting and fringe prep per corp, then solidify around TC....hope none of my targets get gunned down in the PS..lock and load.

I start by watching all the college football I can. I actually like college football more than pro football, simply because of the variation on the game. Hey, East Carolina is playing Marshall on Thursday night? I'm there camped out in front of the TV!

Then I start collecting names by watching draft sites - there are a few freee ones that watch the college players carefully. If I haven't seen a guy they have a ways up on the list, I'm checking out youtube to see if there's anything on him. If there's not much there, I'm looking for opposing coach's interviews before & after the game. I'll get a lot more for the guy game planning him than I will from his own coach pimping him.

About the middle of February, I'm starting to track draft sites. Do they have an opinion of a player that has shared attributes, and do their opinions match up with mine? I make it a point to ignore the combine as much as possible. There are some stories that can't be ignored, but I've found that I'd rather draft football players than guys with great physical attributes. Those are not always one & the same.

About early April I'm bouncing opinions off others - that's why I really wanted to see Draft U work here. I want to see what others think - especially if I'm missing something or letting a bias jade my opinion. I'm also researching player/coach movement in the NFL to see where teams have/have not addressed needs and/or changed philosophy.

That takes me to about here - where I'm postively giddy & about to burst, waiting for the draft.

This Saturday? :D

I love the draft. Then the really serious stuff starts - where did players go when drafted, how will they probably be utilized & how soon will they be given a shot, and what are my FF league opponents' trends & team weaknesses - I'm looking for players likely to drop & what position they'll likely drop to.

Thanks BB...enjoy the draft! :D

• 3 weeks later...

:D I play in 3 total keeper leagues and I never stop studying. For me football season never ends. Our league members negotiate trades, accept trades, and plan for the draft all in the beginning of the season. (We don't have an off season). So, my words to you are to keep up what your doing. It'll pay off with a championship pretty soon.