[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Miami Dolphins

spain

I put as much value in post-draft grades as I do with stock recommendations... they don't mean a damn thing. And the so called experts are more wrong than right once the dust settles. Just do a search on NFL draft grades for any year (try 2002 for instance) and look at what the experts said - its laughable to read some of this stuff two or three years after the fact.

Without any perspective, Ginn at 1.09 seems like a mistake. Here is what I do like about it though:

1 - Miami needs playmakers on offense. Its been years since they have had anyone with real speed who can stretch a defense and turn a simple play into a long gainer.

2 - Ginn seems like an intelligent guy with good character. I think Cameron is trying to build a team with the right kind of player.

3 - Since Ginn has some history with Cameron, he will probably get signed and into camp on time. This may seem like a small thing, but Miami's last two 1st round picks both signed and reported late and it severely hurt their ability to contribute as rookies.

4. This leads to the most important thing - Ginn should play and contribute right away on special teams and on some offensive plays. Most rookies don't.

But the issue isn't as much that Miami took Ginn... it's that they took him when they did. The draft is all about getting the right value with the right pick.

"Ted Ginn......and his Family"......... :D .....get real numb nuts.......can't finish watching that ... :tup:

Not to mention "you'll be thrilled everytime you watch him as a punt returner cause he's going to be a great returner for us". :D

Uhmm, saying you just used the #9 pick in the draft to pick up a punt returner isn't a real effective way to quell the fears.

Edited by charty

But the issue isn't as much that Miami took Ginn... it's that they took him when they did. The draft is all about getting the right value with the right pick.

I'm not sure I agree with that 100%. It sounds good on the surface, but with the preponderance of 1st round picks who become busts - and its no small number - drafting a player who can immediately help your team in an area of need would seem to be advantageous to a new coaching staff.

Look, I'm not saying I LOVE the pick of Ginn. But I think the outcry of the draftniks is a bit overdone.

"Ted Ginn......and his Family"......... :D .....get real numb nuts.......can't finish watching that ... :D

hey im not a dolphins fan...so you are free to have your opinions on this pick...but i know ginn played in high school with troy smith and donte whitner...and ginns father was the coach...and they love football....i think the kid will work hard to correct his flaws as a receiver...i remember how touted he was out of high school...and i believe the original idea was for him to play cb....he has some flaws...but the kid has the desire to be great, which is really important in my eyes

the kid is absolutely murder in the open field...one of those rare guys that seems to glide forward while moving laterally

I don't agree with the pick. I understand Ginn can be productive right away and so forth, but I think there were better options. I do believe they were aiming for L. Brown at the pick, however once he was gone they should of looked the way of Okoye or Willis. That D is getting old...and they need to realize that Thomas is probably one injury away from retirement and Taylor is coming up to the end of his contract (2 more seasons) at which time hell be 35.

I don't believe they could of traded out of the pick. Most teams appeared to not want to trade up into the top 10 unless it was 1 or 2.

Regardless, I'm very disappointed in the pick as a fan. And it's not because of Quinn, it's because I don't think they didn't addressed team needs. Right now priorities should be placed on youth defensively, a QB (which was addressed), and O-Line (Nada drafted :D Don't know if there was any good value on O-line in the draft anways).

According to who?

If Ginn was the player they wanted, and they couldn't find a trade partner to move down with OR couldn't be sure to get him as far back as they had a chance to move, then they did what they needed to. Ginn certainly wouldn't have been there at their second round choice, and I imagine with the loss of Welker he was far and away theri highest rated receiver on the board.

What I think of the pick doesn't really matter. Only the next few years will tell if it's a mistake or not. Of this guy turns out to be the next Steve Smith (the real one...not the new imposter variety), then all the people criticizing will look foolish.

I don't agree with the pick. I understand Ginn can be productive right away and so forth, but I think there were better options. I do believe they were aiming for L. Brown at the pick, however once he was gone they should of looked the way of Okoye or Willis. That D is getting old...and they need to realize that Thomas is probably one injury away from retirement and Taylor is coming up to the end of his contract (2 more seasons) at which time hell be 35.

I don't believe they could of traded out of the pick. Most teams appeared to not want to trade up into the top 10 unless it was 1 or 2.

Regardless, I'm very disappointed in the pick as a fan. And it's not because of Quinn, it's because I don't think they didn't addressed team needs. Right now priorities should be placed on youth defensively, a QB (which was addressed), and O-Line (Nada drafted :D Don't know if there was any good value on O-line in the draft anways).

Huh?

3rd rd - They took Samson Satele, C, Hawaii

6th rd - They took Drew Mormino, OL, Central Michigan

The argument that the Dophins D is getting old has been going on for the past 4-5 years. And yet Zach Thomas continues to play at Pro Bowl levels and Jason Taylor was defensive player of the year LAST year.

Huh?

3rd rd - They took Samson Satele, C, Hawaii

6th rd - They took Drew Mormino, OL, Central Michigan

The argument that the Dophins D is getting old has been going on for the past 4-5 years. And yet Zach Thomas continues to play at Pro Bowl levels and Jason Taylor was defensive player of the year LAST year.

My bad, I didn't watch past half 2nd round and when I checked NFL.com's draft tracker the C didn't register in my head. I was looking for OG or OT or OL. NFL.com has both picks listed as Centers.

As for probowls, well that really doesn't mean much to me. I consider it a big popularity contest.

Don't get me wrong on Taylor. He's dam good and I like him. But I fear we won't be able to afford him once his contracts up, and would we even want to at that point? Picking up a large contract for a 35 year old DE may not be the direction they want to go. I don't see Thomas still playing in 2 years.