[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People who use DVR

MrTed46

My problem is I'm a TV addict and there are three things on at once I'd watch. Example: next Monday I want to see 24, Heroes, & the finale of King of Queens. I always record Heroes while I watch 24. Now I need another line for King of Queens.

I think I have a TV problem. I need help. :D

Do like me and watch Heroes online after the fact. Either at NBC or dailymotion.com where someone uploads them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be lazy with your DVR watching like me. Then you'd have plenty of recorded stuff to watch while you record two things at once. :tup:

That's how we usually are.....

Only part that sux is that if you have 2 things recording you have to watch one of them or a DVR......can't watch something else like the Red Sox while making dinner. :D I guess the solution would be to switch the box to the smaller TV or get another box.....life's rough :D

I have directv with the older dvr. I used to be able to record one show whilst watching another. Now, for some reason, I have to watch the show I'm recording. What's the point of that?

I had the same problem Loaf. I messed around for hours trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally broke down and called them. Turns out all I had to do was reset the box. Right beside the card, there's a little button you can press to reset it. You may want to try that before you call. Good luck.

I was thinking something was wrong but just never got around to calling. It happened Sunday so I missed Desperate Hotwives. I'll call when I get home as I'm sure they'll want me jiggling my inputs about...Thanks!

When you call Directv I'd leave out the part about you watching a women's show.

nothing' wrong with jiggling your input to "desperate housewives."

I have both (I have an old Directv box with Tivo). While I like Tivo's interface better it is the same thing. The only real advantage is Tivo gives me 200 hours while DVR only gives me 100 hours.

I know...100 hours really ain't that much if you want to keep something. I record too many season shows. The only thing that saved me is I hooked up a DVD-R to my DVR and record the movies and stuff I wanna watch. You should see the rat's nest of wires on that hook-up. The Manhattan Project to build the a-bomb was less complicated.

Both are good but from wht I have seen HD Tivo >> Directv HD DVR.

Edit: And I have the Directv HD DVR....I've seen what the HD Tivo can do and would have it if I could afford it.

Edited by myhousekey

Does DVR skip the commercials when recording, or do you have to fast forward through them when viewing?

You have to fast forward.

But at least on my DVR (don't know if all do this), the DVR automatically starts playing a few seconds before you stop fast forwarding. So you begin fast forwarding looking for your show, hit play when you see it. Normally, you would be watching 10 seconds into the segment, but the DVR starts playing just before you hit the button to account for your reaction time. F'n sweet.

The local Comcast DVR allows up to 16 hours of HD recording.....that's quite alot...

I have the original Star Wars movies saved onto the DVR in HD....well worth the space since they aren't out on Blu-Ray yet...

:D

Does DVR skip the commercials when recording, or do you have to fast forward through them when viewing?

You have to fast forward.

Actually w/ the Comcast remote, you can program a button to do 30 sec. skips and it already has a 10 sec rev. skip. Atomic, I think, posted a link for it. Let me look.........

This isn't the same link but it does give the code for the 30 sec skip:

http://www.pdxtc.com/wpblog/archives/289

Try here also:

http://tipcollection.com/wiki/index.php/Us...remote#Overview

I just remapped the +/- button. But read the firmware exclusion.

Edited by rocknrobn26

I had the same problem Loaf. I messed around for hours trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally broke down and called them. Turns out all I had to do was reset the box. Right beside the card, there's a little button you can press to reset it. You may want to try that before you call. Good luck.

resetting the box did the trick, thanks! :D

Or 24, ER, and Greys! Did I say Grey's? :D

There is no reason to :D yourself. Ellen Pompeo, Sandra Oh, and Katherine Heigl are all hot. Heck, even Kate Walsh is hot for someone a little beyond my age. I openly admit to watching Grey's Anatomy...and Desperate Housewives.

But back to the topic, I rarely watch live TV anymore. Everything gets recorded and I watch when I want to watch it. I will never give up my Dish DVR.

There is no reason to :D yourself. Ellen Pompeo, Sandra Oh, and Katherine Heigl are all hot. Heck, even Kate Walsh is hot for someone a little beyond my age. I openly admit to watching Grey's Anatomy...and Desperate Housewives.

But back to the topic, I rarely watch live TV anymore. Everything gets recorded and I watch when I want to watch it. I will never give up my Dish DVR.

whoa, whoa, whoa! Sandra Oh hot? not even on her best day

Actually w/ the Comcast remote, you can program a button to do 30 sec. skips and it already has a 10 sec rev. skip. Atomic, I think, posted a link for it. Let me look.........

This isn't the same link but it does give the code for the 30 sec skip:

http://www.pdxtc.com/wpblog/archives/289

Try here also:

http://tipcollection.com/wiki/index.php/Us...remote#Overview

I just remapped the +/- button. But read the firmware exclusion.

Good stuff! cant wait to set that up.

Also with the DVR you cant go online and set recordings like you can with TiVo

I can record two things and watch a third on my cable DVR. Not that there's that much on that's worth it.

Except for the fact that the three things worth watching all week are probably on at the same time. :D

Love mine!

The DirecTV DVR is complete and utter crap. Do some googleing, they are HATED. Not only are the slow, have insanely high failure rates and problems, they suck compared to the newer Tivo's.

I have gone through 2, and I hate them. DirecTV didn't renew thier license with tivo, so they got their own branded DVR box, it is such crap.

You can still buy your own Tivo, and it will work, I am currently looking for one online.

http://www.mikesmets.com/2006/08/directv_dvr_dont_do_it.html

I agree with this 100%!!!!!!!!!!

We have both a TIVO that we got along with DirecTV a few years back and a new DVR provided by DirecTV last year. I can honestly say that the TIVO is SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER then the piece of crap DirecTV gave us (interface is way more complicated and it's far less reliable).

Get TIVO (with a DirecTV subscription) and then thank H8 and I later. :D

Edited by TDFFFreak

I agree with the 100%!!!!!!!!!!

We have both a TIVO that we got along with DirecTV a few years back and a new DVR provided by DirecTV last year. I can honestly say that the TIVO is SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER then the piece of crap DirecTV gave us (interface is way more complicated and it's far less reliable).

Get TIVO (with a DirecTV subscription) and then thank H8 and I later. :D

I'm one of the apparently small group of people that actually likes DTV's line of DVRs. I've had very few issues with the ones that I have. Probably about the same as I had with my Tivos when I used them. And interface wise, once I got used to it, I actually prefer it to the Tivo. It's overall faster and easier to use, IMO.

I'm one of the apparently small group of people that actually likes DTV's line of DVRs. I've had very few issues with the ones that I have. Probably about the same as I had with my Tivos when I used them. And interface wise, once I got used to it, I actually prefer it to the Tivo. It's overall faster and easier to use, IMO.

comcast DVR works fine...but I have nothing to compare it to...

I read reviews on the HR20 that DTV has and its getting abused on pretty much every review

I like to rely on message board conversations and stuff more than official reviews. If say the reviewer is biased towards Tivo, you're going to get a pretty slanted review. True, some of the units have had problems just like with any new product. But if you check out the message board talk and Josh Gordon through the "OMG it's not Tivo so it sucks!" stuff, you can get a more honest idea of how well it works or doesn't.

My HR20 has had only one 'issue' that I can remember. It spontaneously rebooted on me when watching a recording, but said recording was very jumpy and generally bad thanks to my HD locals not getting a good signal these days (still have to have someone re-align the dish), so I think the unit just freaked out and rebooted. No other issues that I can remember. And my R15 has been very reliable as well.