[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here in the Mailing industry?

Savage Beatings

If so PM me. I'm looking for possible solutions to ink smudging and ghosting issues that are now occurring pretty regularly through the new USPS high speed equipment.

:D

Sounds more like a print issue.

Is the ink dry when you're running it through? Ghosting/offset usually occurs when the ink hasn't set yet.

What are you doing and using?

Sounds more like a print issue.

Is the ink dry when you're running it through? Ghosting/offset usually occurs when the ink hasn't set yet.

What are you doing and using?

Well it's a combination of things to be sure... I know the paper stock can be a factor, the ink can be a factor (reflex blue never completely dries), the overprint toner can be a factor, etc... but in general, everything dries well, and looks perfect until it hits the new high speed bar code readers at the USPS. There is so much speed/pressure/friction involved that it ruins most of the pieces to a certain extent.

Well it's a combination of things to be sure... I know the paper stock can be a factor, the ink can be a factor (reflex blue never completely dries), the overprint toner can be a factor, etc... but in general, everything dries well, and looks perfect until it hits the new high speed bar code readers at the USPS. There is so much speed/pressure/friction involved that it ruins most of the pieces to a certain extent.

I think you nailed it on the head there... stock and reflex, particularly a coated with reflex takes forever to set.

I take it you're sending it bulk/standard PRST?

I think you nailed it on the head there... stock and reflex, particularly a coated with reflex takes forever to set.

I take it you're sending it bulk/standard PRST?

But it's happening in many different circumstances (a whole bunch of different types of paper [although mostly cover stock] and different types of ink) where everything should be and looks to be perfect before hitting the post office. :D

But it's happening in many different circumstances (a whole bunch of different types of paper [although mostly cover stock] and different types of ink) where everything should be and looks to be perfect before hitting the post office. :D

Stupid machines. :D

Is it coated 2 sided? I find that C1S handles better when mailing standard PRST.

Stupid machines. :D

Is it coated 2 sided? I find that C1S handles better when mailing standard PRST.

Again, it's been happening with a bunch of different types of stock... some coated, some uncoated, I'd say the majority of what we have run recently has had a dull coating. We've even tried a spot varnish and still no luck!

Again, it's been happening with a bunch of different types of stock... some coated, some uncoated, I'd say the majority of what we have run recently has had a dull coating. We've even tried a spot varnish and still no luck!

I just spoke to my partner about this and according to him this is a HUGH issue right now so you're not alone. Apparently they didn't test these machines to see if they'd have any issues with the various stocks.

Edit: He's had numerous conversations with our mailhouse regarding this and he's almost 100% positive that they've stopped using these new machines and have reverted back to their old ones.

Edited by twiley

the new high speed bar code readers at the USPS. There is so much speed/pressure/friction involved that it ruins most of the pieces to a certain extent.

Is this the only thing that's changed recently? I take it this is a relatively new problem, correct?

I know in the past, people used to have problems sending printed material thru laser printers that would get too hot. We'd need to make sure our inks were wax-free, as it was the waxes used in alot inks these days that would break down due to the extra heat.

Is this something you can address with an ink company?

We do most of our mailing in-house, but I can check with some people tomorrow to see if anyone is running across this problem around here.

Edited by BillyBalata

Is this the only thing that's changed recently? I take it this is a relatively new problem, correct?

I know in the past, people used to have problems sending printed material thru laser printers that would get too hot. We'd need to make sure our inks were wax-free, as it was the waxes used in alot inks these days that would break down due to the extra heat.

Is this something you can address with an ink company?

We do most of our mailing in-house, but I can check with some people tomorrow to see if anyone is running across this problem around here.

Typically what we do is, we print offset shells using wax free inks, and then we overprint personalized addresses, etc. on a digital printer (HP, Kodak, etc.). Unlesss the client specifies otherwise, we use paper that we know takes our toner well. But over the last 6months or so (maybe even a little longer) once these pieces hit the post office they get turned into garbage. We have tried so many different combinations of paper, ink, coatings, etc. and nothing has provided an adequate solution. This has cost us a ton of time, money, and reputation with our clients! :D

:D What do you mean? I'm just looking for possible suggestions/solutions for a very real business problem.

How do you figure? It's a legitimate question for someone that works in Direct Mail marketing.

2 on lets go for 3 :D

Typically what we do is, we print offset shells using wax free inks, and then we overprint personalized addresses, etc. on a digital printer (HP, Kodak, etc.). Unlesss the client specifies otherwise, we use paper that we know takes our toner well. But over the last 6months or so (maybe even a little longer) once these pieces hit the post office they get turned into garbage. We have tried so many different combinations of paper, ink, coatings, etc. and nothing has provided an adequate solution. This has cost us a ton of time, money, and reputation with our clients! :D

Like I said, you're not the only one with this issue. I found out this morning that we had a big DM project that was screwed up because of this.