[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nightmares...

irish

My son is 5 years old and just recently he's begun to have more frequent nightmares. When he retells the stories of what goes on in his head they sound very trivial and almost silly instead of scary. However, to him they are terrifying and he is really scared for quite some time after he wakes up. I usually talk to him about all the fun things that go on in life and things that are coming up that I know he enjoys to ease his mind. For instance I will mention going away on vacation to Disney World in Fla. He loves the whole experience from the packing, to the plane, getting to the room, daily swimming at the hotel pool, the Magic Kingdom, etc. That usually relaxes him and gets him to fall back to sleep.

But it got me thinking about my own childhood and nightmares that I had, that scared the sh!t out of me. There were a few that I could remember...

1) Dying. The thought of no longer being alive with my family and not being able to enjoy life as I knew it was not only scary for me but depressing as well. As you can imagine that branched out to fearing other important people in my life were going to die and leave me. Just terrible.

2) Being chased. I could never see who was doing the chasing and there was rarely a reason I was in fact being chased. However, it didn't matter as the most nerve racking part of being chased is the indidvidual chasing you being right behind you about to get you, not knowing what they were going to do and that's how I always felt.

3) Falling. I remember walking up from a falling nightmare reaching out trying to grab onto something and punching a wall, etc. Several times I actually fell off my bed and onto the floor, which only added to the intensity of the feeling/nightmare.

4) Sticky fight. I call it sticky fight because I would dream about fighting various individuals that I couldn't identify but every time I made contact with any part of their body my hand, arm, etc. would immediately stick to them and I couldn't get free. Evetually I could no longer defend myself and I would get the crap beat out of me.

Now I know there is a dream book out there and these scenerios could probably be looked at and they might have some significance behind them. However, I was just curious if any of you or your kids are going or have gone through something similar? I find dreams very entertaining and interesting.

3) Falling. I remember walking up from a falling nightmare reaching out trying to grab onto something and punching a wall, etc. Several times I actually fell off my bed and onto the floor, which only added to the intensity of the feeling/nightmare.

I have read somewhere that dreaming that you are falling infinitely is a sign of insecurity. I will try to find that article I read describing the problems commonly associated to different types of dreams and link it here.

From the of about 8 to 12, I pretty much woke up in the middle of every night from nightmares. I can't remember most of them, but they usually seemed to be like something out of a Stephen King novel with me being hunted or chased by someone or something.

Edited by wiegie

My son is 5 years old and just recently he's begun to have more frequent nightmares. When he retells the stories of what goes on in his head they sound very trivial and almost silly instead of scary. However, to him they are terrifying and he is really scared for quite some time after he wakes up. I usually talk to him about all the fun things that go on in life and things that are coming up that I know he enjoys to ease his mind. For instance I will mention going away on vacation to Disney World in Fla. He loves the whole experience from the packing, to the plane, getting to the room, daily swimming at the hotel pool, the Magic Kingdom, etc. That usually relaxes him and gets him to fall back to sleep.

When I was a kid I used to stay up late, and against house rules, watched the scary Friday late night shows like Night Gallery. They scared the crap out of me, and eventually I wasn’t scared anymore… or I stopped watching the show… great old TV show (back in the day when you had 5 to choose from). Let him watch some sort of scary movie with you and see how he reacts. Something like the Goonies to start, just to see if the “scary” parts freak him out… he’ll get over it.

I had a friend that had the same nightmare until he was 20. He would describe it only as the walls were breathing. When he was 20, he had a broken leg or something and had to go under anesthesia. He said as soon as he put the mask on, he realized the connection between the mask and his childhood fear, which was when he had surgery at 5 or 6. He said once he realized it, he never had the dream again.

But it got me thinking about my own childhood and nightmares that I had, that scared the sh!t out of me. There were a few that I could remember...

1) Dying. The thought of no longer being alive with my family and not being able to enjoy life as I knew it was not only scary for me but depressing as well. As you can imagine that branched out to fearing other important people in my life were going to die and leave me. Just terrible.

2) Being chased. I could never see who was doing the chasing and there was rarely a reason I was in fact being chased. However, it didn't matter as the most nerve racking part of being chased is the indidvidual chasing you being right behind you about to get you, not knowing what they were going to do and that's how I always felt.

4) Sticky fight. I call it sticky fight because I would dream about fighting various individuals that I couldn't identify but every time I made contact with any part of their body my hand, arm, etc. would immediately stick to them and I couldn't get free. Evetually I could no longer defend myself and I would get the crap beat out of me.

Now I know there is a dream book out there and these scenerios could probably be looked at and they might have some significance behind them. However, I was just curious if any of you or your kids are going or have gone through something similar? I find dreams very entertaining and interesting.

This is probably off base, but I thought I'd throw it out there. A few years ago our son went through a period of "scary" dreams that never really quite added up. After a few nights, we finally came to the conclusion that it was because he did not want to sleep in his room alone. We made the mistake of allowing him to sleep in our room a few times, and then he would start to tell all kind of tall tails to get us to let him stay in our room. Not sure this really helps, but I thought I'd throw it out there, especially if the dreams sound a little fishy.

I have some real bad dreams now and again. When I was 10 years old, my parents died in a plane crash. My dad owned a single engine small plane. They were flying to Riverside, CA with some clients to go to dinner. Engine trouble doomed them both.

I wake up soaking wet some nights from bad dreams of falling or plane crashes. I hate to fly. I have only been on an airplane once since 911. I wish I could get past it, but it continues to haunt me.

Bad dreams suck.

I have read somewhere that dreaming that you are falling infinitely is a sign of insecurity. I will try to find that article I read describing the problems commonly associated to different types of dreams and link it here.

Very interesting as I wouldn't think I had any insecurities but maybe there's something I'm wasn't aware of that came to life in my dreams.

From the of about 8 to 12, I pretty much woke up in the middle of every night from nightmares. I can't remember most of them, but they usually seemed to be like something out of a Stephen King novel with me being hunted or chased by someone or something.

As an adult I'll still have that nightmare from time to time and it's a terrible feeling even if it is only a dream. The feeling that someone is chasing you and you are running for your life and have no idea how close they are to catching you.

When I was a kid I used to stay up late, and against house rules, watched the scary Friday late night shows like Night Gallery. They scared the crap out of me, and eventually I wasn’t scared anymore… or I stopped watching the show… great old TV show (back in the day when you had 5 to choose from). Let him watch some sort of scary movie with you and see how he reacts. Something like the Goonies to start, just to see if the “scary” parts freak him out… he’ll get over it.

I had a friend that had the same nightmare until he was 20. He would describe it only as the walls were breathing. When he was 20, he had a broken leg or something and had to go under anesthesia. He said as soon as he put the mask on, he realized the connection between the mask and his childhood fear, which was when he had surgery at 5 or 6. He said once he realized it, he never had the dream again.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. We all have fears that we suppress from our childhood and we only figure out how to get over them when we are faced with similar situation as adults a realize that it's not as big a deal as our imaginations made it.

This is probably off base, but I thought I'd throw it out there. A few years ago our son went through a period of "scary" dreams that never really quite added up. After a few nights, we finally came to the conclusion that it was because he did not want to sleep in his room alone. We made the mistake of allowing him to sleep in our room a few times, and then he would start to tell all kind of tall tails to get us to let him stay in our room. Not sure this really helps, but I thought I'd throw it out there, especially if the dreams sound a little fishy.

He's a very sensitive kid that would probably freak if I exposed him to a scary movie. He loved Great White Sharks and I downloaded a couple videos of them in the wild hunting seals, swimming, jumping out of the water thinking he would love it. Well he hates sharks now and was shaking, while expressing how terrible it was that they ate those poor little seals and how mean sharks are. Boy did it backfire! :D

I have some real bad dreams now and again. When I was 10 years old, my parents died in a plane crash. My dad owned a single engine small plane. They were flying to Riverside, CA with some clients to go to dinner. Engine trouble doomed them both.

I wake up soaking wet some nights from bad dreams of falling or plane crashes. I hate to fly. I have only been on an airplane once since 911. I wish I could get past it, but it continues to haunt me.

Bad dreams suck.

Sorry to hear about your parents and the terrible way that they died. I absolutely can't blame you for having terrible dreams like that and only wish that someday you can find a way to feel better about it.

not really nightmares, but i had some reoccurring dreams that still pop up once in awhile. the most frequent is that i don't know what class to go to because i lost my class schedule. so i run around the school like an idiot and then end up in the school office getting my schedule. related dreams include forgetting my locker combination, forgetting a class i was supposed to attend in college which stops me from graduating, and forgetting to get dressed before school and ending up on the school bus in my jammies. plus a bunch of other dreams about forgetting stuff.

what does it all mean?

not really nightmares, but i had some reoccurring dreams that still pop up once in awhile. the most frequent is that i don't know what class to go to because i lost my class schedule. so i run around the school like an idiot and then end up in the school office getting my schedule. related dreams include forgetting my locker combination, forgetting a class i was supposed to attend in college which stops me from graduating, and forgetting to get dressed before school and ending up on the school bus in my jammies. plus a bunch of other dreams about forgetting stuff.

what does it all mean?

Depends how old are you?

what does it all mean?

i know this is a thread about kids' dreams/nightmares, but i had to comment on this: i've been out of school for 10 years and i still have dreams like this. i chalk it up to day-to-day anxiety, but i have those same dreams all the time -- i need to take one more final exam to graduate, and i end up wandering around campus in vain trying to find the classroom, becoming more and more panicked. i also had a dream where i signed up for a nintendo class and forgot to go to it all semester, then i realized i needed to pass it to graduate, and in my dream i kept thinking, i LOVE nintendo! how did i forget to take this class!

the other recurring dream i have is that i'm taking a dump and i find myself naked on a toilet in the middle of a crowded public place. what does it all mean?

the other recurring dream i have is that i'm taking a dump and i find myself naked on a toilet in the middle of a crowded public place. what does it all mean?

Uh... it might mean you like to take dumps in private without anyone hearing the water splash or noises that are made, so you're trying to be able to be less self-conscious and not give a sh!t what others think about your BMs by just dropping anchor in public albeit in your dreams. Best I can offer. :D

what does it all mean?

Depends how old are you?

:D 39

Well that might be more of a problem... Were you a bad student? Or maybe it's just a matter of you trying to warn yourself of how bad your memory is and how you forget alot of things, therefore you should make yourself more lists in order to be more prepared, more productive and in general more responsible. :D

Well that might be more of a problem... Were you a bad student? Or maybe it's just a matter of you trying to warn yourself of how bad your memory is and how you forget alot of things, therefore you should make yourself more lists in order to be more prepared, more productive and in general more responsible. :D

my memory sucks. i have to keep all kinds of lists or i forget everything.

i feel ya montster. the coolest part is waking up and realizing that i'm done with all that school chit forever! it's funny that i never dream about forgetting stuff on the job ... it all goes back to high school or college, and i was a great student in both.

i believe i'm destined for old-timers. i think it is already setting in slowly ...

i believe i'm destined for old-timers. i think it is already setting in slowly ...

I feel the same way. What did I just say? :D

Edited by irish

My wife has a dream book..I look at it for entertainment value and not law like my wife but its pretty interesting the theories behind dreams. Objects you may think constitutes a bad dream has good meaning most of the time.

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: irish.

· View this post

· Squeeze me a little harder irish

This can only be a positive as before he wouldn't even respond to me and now he goes back to this, unprompted. :D Let's talk Grits, just take me off the list I'm not nearly as bad as you think. I'm just about to join the 5K Post Club, that's gotta be good for something. At the very least get me off the only Ignore List I'm currently on.

Oh by the way just curious, what made you post the ignore message in this thread tonight? :D

he can't hear you now... once you've been put on ignore, it's like triple secret probation.

:D

He can choose to read what I post and believe that he does in fact take that option from time to time. I just think at this point, there's no reason for it to continue and hope he comes to his senses sooner rather than later.

Edited by irish

Bad dreams suck.

wow, I am sorry

:D

what does it all mean?

I'm 49 yrs old and still have a similar dream. I'm either on campus and I can't find the building my class is in, or I am attending class and don't know anything. It is usually a math class, since that was my weakest subject.

Another one is I forgot to put an article of clothing on and I'm in public and totally embarrassed.

I did have a lot of dreams as a kid where I was falling-I was quite insecure and still am, so makes sense. I think the nakedness in public dream and attending class and pancking "cause I don't know anything would probably be interpreted as insecure.

My husband's nightmares are always people chasing him with weapons.

Bad dreams suck.

I am so sorry to hear that. Who raised you after their deaths? You don't have to answer if you choose not to.

i feel ya montster. the coolest part is waking up and realizing that i'm done with all that school chit forever! it's funny that i never dream about forgetting stuff on the job ... it all goes back to high school or college, and i was a great student in both.

yeah, the best feeling is waking up and realizing i still have my diploma. i was a pretty good student, too -- maybe we just yearn for the days of all-nighters and falling asleep at the library. so tell me, do you also have nightmares involving public defecation?

yeah, the best feeling is waking up and realizing i still have my diploma. i was a pretty good student, too -- maybe we just yearn for the days of all-nighters and falling asleep at the library. so tell me, do you also have nightmares involving public defecation?

no, you own that unique combination i'm afraid.

although when i do have to take a wiz and i'm asleep, i always dream about not being able to find someplace to go. all the toilets don't work or aren't really toilets, so i just run around looking. then i wake up and realize i have to go.