[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Space

Missoula Griz

My 11 year old son has a My Space site. We were reluctant at first to let him have one. You can put it on a privacy mode which allows only your friends to access.

I know his password so its been somewhat enlighting to read the posts from his boy and girl friends. I log onto it at work, and discuss what I have read with him later each day. He knows I check on it so I am not hiding it from him. Kids these days know way to much. Its actually been a really good eye opener and parental tool.

They were discussing masturbation one day. It allowed me an opportunity to explain to him that it is natural and not to feel bad about it. I told him make sure you do not use the towels hanging in the bathroom or else mom will eventually catch on.

Thoughts?

They were discussing masturbation one day. It allowed me an opportunity to explain to him that it is natural and not to feel bad about it. I told him make sure you do not use the towels hanging in the bathroom or else mom will eventually catch on.

Thoughts?

Oh, I have plenty of thoughts, but they are not overly appropriate for this forum. :-) However, sounds like you gave him good advice!

No way my kid is on myspace.

Before too long, if not already, he'll know how to conceal his actions from you. Nothing good can come from that site at that age IMO.

I see someone the stuff even 15-16 yo girls do on that site when they think they are not being monitored, nothing you would want your kid doing.

I think it's a good way for kids to communicate and everything, but with the number of creeps on the internet nowadays, kids have to be very careful who they talk to. The privacy setting you mentioned works well, but now you just have to be sure he doesn't friend an adult who is posing as a child or something.

No way I let my kid on my space at that age. I think people have to develop a healthy amount of skeptism about how people act in person versus on line before they join an online community.

However, I do think its cool that parents talk to their kids about unconfortable subjects, like sex, jerking off, etc. So if my space (or whatever) facilitates those kinds of discussions, and those kinds of discussions wouldn't have happend but for the my space page, then I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd probably let it slide and do exactly what Missoula is doing. (I'd also teach my son that doing his own laundry has a number of side benefits during the growing up years).

Go onto MySpace click on videos at the top do a search for thong(or I'm sure other things) check out the videos you find and if you"re OK with yer kid havin access to that then I say go for it......I personally think it's not great for young ones.

I have nieces and nephews on it and My one who happens to be my goddaughter won't accept me as a friend.....I wonder why :D

By the way one video that popped up in the search was a chick booty dancing in just her undies, and if you click on her page she's only 16 :D

I think it's a good way for kids to communicate and everything, but with the number of creeps on the internet nowadays, kids have to be very careful who they talk to. The privacy setting you mentioned works well, but now you just have to be sure he doesn't friend an adult who is posing as a child or something.

Exactly. they will search him out basically. Once someone can see any frind list he is on they can be sending him messages. Be on top of making sure only people he knows are getting accepted. This may be what your talking about but beyond the "Private" profile setting you can set it to where they have to know his last name to get the friend invite through.

But as mentioned above, it's in his control if your letting him on there. As long as his curiosity doesn't get the better of him he'll be fine...but it will get the better of him sooner than later. Like Chuck said, If your okay with what is available to him, go for it.

I think Bebo may be aimed at a younger crowd but you still need to be aware that people are lurking.

By the way one video that popped up in the search was a chick booty dancing in just her undies, and if you click on her page she's only 16 :D

That is shameful. Tell me her username so that I can try to teach her some self-respect.

Perhaps you could muster up something? :D

Go to videos then search for "thong", there's a bunch but it's the first on page three....and by the way she's 16 you friggin dirtbags.

This is exactly why parents should ALWAYS know what their kids are doin....If this chick is putting these videos on MySpace I'm sure she'd be the kind of girl that would try to hook up with someone from there, and that's how you end up dead......sad.

Edited by ChuckB

Go to videos then search for "thong", there's a bunch but it's the first on page three....and by the way she's 16 you friggin dirtbags.

:D:D I didn't think you were serious... I was pretty sure MySpace was real careful about what sort of stuff they allowed, especially with the videos.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: MySpace CAN be a terrific tool to keep in touch with friends, reunite with old friends and even make new ones. But there will always be bad apples that ruin things like this. With proper supervision, I think a more mature kid (maybe not 11....) could use it without any harm.

:D:D I didn't think you were serious... I was pretty sure MySpace was real careful about what sort of stuff they allowed, especially with the videos.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: MySpace CAN be a terrific tool to keep in touch with friends, reunite with old friends and even make new ones. But there will always be bad apples that ruin things like this. With proper supervision, I think a more mature kid (maybe not 11....) could use it without any harm.

Yeah it's not a good feeling watching that and THEN finding out it's a 16 yr old :tup: Like when yer driving down the street and see a hot chick walkin and yer thinkin daaaaamnnn! But when you get close you realize they're like 15 :doh: