[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm buying two cars

SuperBalla

Good question and it is one I fought with my wife over. She wants to sell it to her uncle for its value and buy something like a small suv. She has considered getting a car if I get an suv. I like the 4-runner personally.

For my vehicle this is what I am planning on doing.

Why don't you just take the Camry and let your wife have the new SUV?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is wedgie always such a relentless buzzkill? :D

i wouldn't get an SUV (or two SUVs) unless you need it. unless one is more of a "crossover", like the CRV or toyota highlander. actually those may be two of your better bets. i say just get a honda accord for her.

Would I be considered ghey then? :D

:tup:

Probably--but that would likely have more to do with you blowing the salesman at the SUV dealership in exchange for a lower price than it would be from driving a Camry.

(Now if you were driving, say, a 1994 Tercel, then you would be a definite homo.) :D

you are confirming my suspicion that this is a chick-vehicle. is this true?

most definitely

edited to ask: anyone here drive one of these?

No, but I ran into one with my Jeep once. They do not take kindly to steel bumpers.

Good question and it is one I fought with my wife over. She wants to sell it to her uncle for its value and buy something like a small suv. She has considered getting a car if I get an suv. I like the 4-runner personally.

For my vehicle this is what I am planning on doing.

I'm looking at a new SUV right now as well. I've probably test drove every single one you could imagine within the last few weeks and here are my thoughts:

Tahoe Z-series - handles less like a truck now but still wasn't the smoothest of the group and has a tremendous amount of space. 3rd row seating was nice. Gas mileage sucks.

Yukon Denali - Price actually came in less than quite a few cars I looked at because of incentives. Gas mileage sucks.

GMC Acadia - Great crossover but seemed like a minivan to me and I couldn't get past that. Other than that, it rode pretty nicely. Decent gas mileage.

Mercedes ML350 - don't waste your time, was not impressed at all.

BMW X5 - loved the torque on it but the size was still limited. Very nice and streamlined.

Chrysler Aspen - I'm actually leaning towards this one right now. Handled the best out of all of the rides and I can get it nicely equipped for less than most of the above mentioned. This comes with a 3rd row and still has plenty of space behind it.

Jeep Commander - Fun vehicle to drive but handled exactly how you'd think it would - like a Jeep.

Audi Q7 - This vehicle was pretty nice but it's base price was still pretty high.

Toyota 4-runner and Sequoia - not bad at all but the Chrysler handled better.

I bought a Toyota 4 Runner brand new a few years back and absolutely love it. Have put about 38k miles on it already, and haven't had one issue with it other than oil changes. It's also now paid off, so I like it even more!!! :D

I've known others who've had 4-Runners and have driven them forever (three people I've known have put over 200k miles on theirs with little issues before they got rid of them.) We bought this with the intention of driving it to 200k plus, and based on my experience so far, I'm happy.

The one drawback with the SUV's is the gas mileage, but the 4-Runner gets better than most. I've got the full 8-Cylinder Limited and it still gets 17 MPG. I believe the 6-Cylinder's got 20+. For a SUV, that's pretty darn good!!

It'll be hard to beat the quality of a 4-Runner

Just my :D

Edited by Big Dogs

i'll +1 this.

why go from a well running car that is paid for to another well running car that will likely put you thousands of dollars in debt?

You know...sometimes people just get tired of a car or want something different. It isn't always about the $. Money can be an overriding reason not to get a car. A person's desire can be a reason they want to get something else.

:stompingwiegieandtonomanondogunderfoot:

:D

Edited by I Like Soup

You know...sometimes people just get tired of a car or want something different. It isn't always about the $. Money can be an overriding reason not to get a car. A person's desire can be a reason they want to get something else.

Good info here.

I'm getting rid of an 05 LR3.... :sticksouttongue:

Hit close to home eh? :D

i get that. believe me, i'm looking now as i wait for my 10 year old vehicle to start showing problems and part of me wishes it would so i could upgrade. of course, when i think about packing away the extra $$$ for kids' college or family vacations, the upgrade desire fades.

if all your other finance are in good shape, then buy away. going in debt for a brand new car, however, when maybe you are still paying off high interest credit cards or do not have a few months salary in an emergency fund is a pretty foolish thing to do ...

if all your other finance are in good shape, then buy away. going in debt for a brand new car, however, when maybe you are still paying off high interest credit cards or do not have a few months salary in an emergency fund is a pretty foolish thing to do ...

I agree wholeheartedly.

I will say, I think it is foolish to go in debt for a new car. I'd buy used. But, to each their own as some may want the longer warranty period, gonna drive it in to the ground, peace of mind for the wife, etc.

Chrysler Aspen - I'm actually leaning towards this one right now. Handled the best out of all of the rides and I can get it nicely equipped for less than most of the above mentioned. This comes with a 3rd row and still has plenty of space behind it.

This is the Dodge Durango with the Chrysler plate on it. We just got rid of our Durango last week. We never had any problems with it but Consumer Reports hates it. Oh and if you get the Hemi, expect 12.5 mpg in the city. :tup:

My wife actually opted for the Jeep Commander this time. I actually think it rides as nice or better than the Durango. :D Weirdest thing though is it has stadium seating in it. If you have the 3rd row seats up they completely block the rear window. I can't get over why Chryler thought it was more important for kids in the 3rd row to be able to see out the front than the driver out the back :D

This is the Dodge Durango with the Chrysler plate on it. We just got rid of our Durango last week. We never had any problems with it but Consumer Reports hates it. Oh and if you get the Hemi, expect 12.5 mpg in the city. :tup:

My wife actually opted for the Jeep Commander this time. I actually think it rides as nice or better than the Durango. :D Weirdest thing though is it has stadium seating in it. If you have the 3rd row seats up they completely block the rear window. I can't get over why Chryler thought it was more important for kids in the 3rd row to be able to see out the front than the driver out the back :D

The turn radius was definitely wider on the Commander. I test drove the overland 4x4 series. It was sweet, no doubt but the Aspen was a smoother ride. I did like the rear camera and the rugged-ness of the Jeep but the wife liked the Aspen.

Edit: They must have done something different for the Aspen because it handled differently than the Durango.

Edited by twiley

Well, no. I think we all realize the debt implications, etc. Balla asked for advice on cars, not a lecture.

I thought the best advice that I could give was a lecture about whether or not it made sense to get rid of a perfectly good car.

I thought the best advice that I could give was a lecture about whether or not it made sense to get rid of a perfectly good car.

Hey...I thought you were gonna be passively extra douchy?

Well, no. I think we all realize the debt implications, etc. Balla asked for advice on cars, not a lecture.

I did and yer right. I have weighed the financial and we're okay. I am looking for advice on cars and suvs upon personal experience.

i get that. believe me, i'm looking now as i wait for my 10 year old vehicle to start showing problems and part of me wishes it would so i could upgrade. of course, when i think about packing away the extra $$$ for kids' college or family vacations, the upgrade desire fades.

I have the kids college rolling and like I said, we're cool.

You have a perfectly good point and one that should have been asked. I asked it myself...a hundred times. This is what she wants and so she gets. (did I mention she is smokin hot) and edit to add: (She got her masters two years ago and this is sort of a late gift and we also had a baby which post-poned the car/suv purchase).

I have a 98' Taurus for sale.......just a thought :D

hope that didn't hurt yer feelings chuck :tup:

Edited by SuperBalla