[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who Sings the National Anthem at NHL Finals?

jaxfactor

Stephen Stills. :D Man, he sounded like he just stepped out of the grave or something. I'll be the first to admit that I am not a singer. In fact, I suck at it except doing my Jim Morrison impression when I'm mighty sh*tfaced. I could have done 100% better than that. I'm hoping someone video taped it and stuck it on YouTube just for a laugh. Sheez! You think being close to LA, the star capital of the world that they could find anyone better to sing. That was absolutely brutal!

Stephen Stills. :D Man, he sounded like he just stepped out of the grave or something. I'll be the first to admit that I am not a singer. In fact, I suck at it except doing my Jim Morrison impression when I'm mighty sh*tfaced. I could have done 100% better than that. I'm hoping someone video taped it and stuck it on YouTube just for a laugh. Sheez! You think being close to LA, the star capital of the world that they could find anyone better to sing. That was absolutely brutal!

Drugs and time take their toll! :D

Sheez! You think being close to LA, the star capital of the world that they could find anyone better to sing.

The rendition was mediocre enough, but I was mostly shocked they couldn't get anyone more noteworthy.

On a similiar note, I was at the Hockey All-Star game the last season before the strike. Again, you'd think they could get some high profile singer.

It was the guy that plays Will on Will and Grace!

And as for the Versus thing. Instead of getting a bit more money from them, why not just give ESPN the rights for free, at least they'd get some exposure.

And as for the Versus thing. Instead of getting a bit more money from them, why not just give ESPN the rights for free, at least they'd get some exposure.

That was the biggest mistake the NHL made...going with a smaller channel not readily available to most was a terrible marketing decision that is costing them fans...

I actually like the NHL on Versus rather than when it was on ESPN.

For one, ESPN wanted nothing to do with televising NHL games after the lockout, they just weren't getting any ratings, and that whirlwind of activity Poker was starting to come into it's own. :D

The NHL was not going to get any kind of deal with a major network to televise games. Fox had been an unmitigated disaster from the get-go. The NHL had to get TV somewhere, and went with the fledgling Outdoor Life Network, which later became Versus, and is owned by NBC. The status of the contract as I recall it is that the NHL is essentially paying NBC to televise games until advertising revenue hits a certain level, and then both parties split it from there on.

Also, in the newspaper today Bettman claims revenues across the league are up 6% after this season. Although TV isn't probably factoring into that in a large degree, they are doing something right.

As for Versus showing games, the studio show is fine, and I think they have a good crew of guys calling the game. The big plus for them over ESPN is that ESPN was locked into their programming druing the playoffs, meaning late games would not get shown if they weren't scheduled. With Versus, since they are a smaller network, they can be a lot more flexible with their schedules, and I have seen in the last 2 years both the CBC and TSN feeds being shown on Versus for what they call their "bonus coverage", complete with the Canadian announcers, and only cutting back to Versus for the intermission studio show.

And just so you know, only games 1 and 2 of the finals are on Versus. The remainders will be shown on NBC. Although I hope the screw heads at NBC don't cut out of an overtime game to show a horse race preview show ever again. :D

Now who they really need to do the anthems at these games is the dude who used to sing the anthems for the Montreal Canadiens home games. That was a great experience.

I actually like the NHL on Versus rather than when it was on ESPN.

I don't

As for Versus showing games, the studio show is fine, and I think they have a good crew of guys calling the game. The big plus for them over ESPN is that ESPN was locked into their programming druing the playoffs, meaning late games would not get shown if they weren't scheduled. With Versus, since they are a smaller network, they can be a lot more flexible with their schedules, and I have seen in the last 2 years both the CBC and TSN feeds being shown on Versus for what they call their "bonus coverage", complete with the Canadian announcers, and only cutting back to Versus for the intermission studio show.

I miss my big dish and being able to find the wild feeds. I was in control then. I loved watching CBC and Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday nights. Vs doesn't even show games on Sat. nights. :D

Now who they really need to do the anthems at these games is the dude who used to sing the anthems for the Montreal Canadiens home games. That was a great experience.

Just as long as it isn't that dude in Boston. Don't know if he's still singing the anthems but I wanted to shoot that f'ker. My old roomie was from Boston and I had to put up with it all the time.

Boy, did I f'k that last post up. Sorry, SN! Didn't mean to make some of my comments look like your quotes.

No problem. I also miss Hockey Night in Canada, which my folks in northern MN can still get on basic cable, but there's no way to get it down here in the cities.

Although having a local team again does make up for that, since most of the Wild games are televised.