[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In-grown toenail

dabuffbills

For a while now, I've had an in-grown toenail that keeps coming back, even if I trim the nail down. I think it started when I trimmed the nail down too far, but now i can't seem to get rid of it. I tried this stuff called Outgrow, but it doesn't seem to be working. Anyone ever have this problem, and if so, do you have any home remedies? TIA.

Cut it out, it's always worked for me. Painful as hell though!! But dig deep and get it done.

I've been doing that, but it always seems to grow back

You're not cutting deep enough. Plus cutting a V shape into the center of the tip of your toenail as the regeneration at that point might prevent it from growing into the side of your toe.

I have had this problem since way back in Jr. High school, on both big toes. It was sometimes way too painful to try and cut out on my own. My right toe was so bad that I went to see the Dr. about it. At first all he did was cut it out. It came right back. So I went back and he did a small surgical procedure. He basically cut half of my big toenail off. To this day it still comes back but that area is somehow immune to the pain so I can cut it out by myself with ease. I was cursed with my father's ugly curved toenails. They curve downwards towards the skin so if I don't trim the nail straight across it will grow into the skin. If it gets too painful, go see the Dr. They probably have an easier procedure by now. My left big toe does this also but I can manage the pain well enough to do it on my own.

I remmber my sister coming for a visit. We went to the hotel pool in Disney and she took one look at my toes and laughed. "You got dad's ugly toes!" I was like, "yeah, thanks Dad".

See a doctor maybe :D

:D And don't let em tell you how much of a wuss you are for going to a Dr. It got so bad for me in Jr. High that I couldn't even run and so it affected my play on the football field. That's why I had to do something about it. My only regret was not going to see the doc sooner.

I cut it out and used neosporin..no joke neosporin worked within 48hrs to get swelling and bacteria out. Before using neosporin it would not go away had it for about a month.

I also had to pop the pocket of liquid (if you have)

I've heard about using Neosporin, but I haven't tried it yet. Right now i'm using something called tea-tree oil. It's all natural and I've heard it's supposed to help, so we'll see what happens.

I've never had a pocket of liquid before though

:D And don't let em tell you how much of a wuss you are for going to a Dr. It got so bad for me in Jr. High that I couldn't even run and so it affected my play on the football field. That's why I had to do something about it. My only regret was not going to see the doc sooner.

right now, it's not very painful. When i cut it out, it never really hurts a whole lot. But if my solutions don't work and it gets worse, I'll probably go see a Doc

For a while now, I've had an in-grown toenail that keeps coming back, even if I trim the nail down. I think it started when I trimmed the nail down too far, but now i can't seem to get rid of it. I tried this stuff called Outgrow, but it doesn't seem to be working. Anyone ever have this problem, and if so, do you have any home remedies? TIA.

I've had problems with these on my big toes ever since I was in basic training many years ago. Sometimes they can get very deep and infected, and when they get like this you can't really cut them out yourself. If yours isn't that bad yet, you can buy toenail cutters/pliers at Wal-Mart that can be helpful. They are almost like a small pair of dykes made specifically for ingrown toenails. These can penetrate and cut much deeper than normail toenail clippers, however, it may just end up being a temporary solution. The ones that I got from Wal-Mart look kind of similar to this:

http://www.footcaresupplies.com/store/prod...sp?ProductID=45

If it gets bad enough that you have to go to the doctor, they usually will inject the toe with lidocaine, and then basically take toenail scissors and cut out about 1/3 of the nail. Then, they take a cotton swab with some sort of acid on it to the edge of the toe where the nail was growing and wasn't supposed to be. This is supposed to stop the nail from growing back in that spot, but it seems to have varying success as I've had it done several times to the same toe. It seems to have worked the last time that they did it though, as I haven't had an issue with mine in over a year now.

right now, it's not very painful. When i cut it out, it never really hurts a whole lot. But if my solutions don't work and it gets worse, I'll probably go see a Doc

See!!! You knew what to do all the time!!!! :D

If it gets bad enough that you have to go to the doctor, they usually will inject the toe with lidocaine, and then basically take toenail scissors and cut out about 1/3 of the nail. Then, they take a cotton swab with some sort of acid on it to the edge of the toe where the nail was growing and wasn't supposed to be. This is supposed to stop the nail from growing back in that spot, but it seems to have varying success as I've had it done several times to the same toe. It seems to have worked the last time that they did it though, as I haven't had an issue with mine in over a year now.

I actually just had this done this past Monday and this is definitely the route I'd recommend. Over a year ago I busted my toe & lost the nail. When it finally grew back it became ingrown & I'd "dealt" with it myself for the past several months. Most of the time it was so painful I could barely put my shoe on. I finally got tired of hoping it would fix itself & made an appointment with the podiatrist. They numbed up the toe & he clipped and pulled pulled out the section that was ingrown & I've had no problems since. The worst part of the whole thing was the injections. :D

Something I was told years ago by a sports trainer:

Take a very sharp knife or razor blade and begin gradually scraping nail layers off of the center portion of the nail. Try to get more than 50% of the thickness reduced. I was told that this will encourage nail growth towards the center and away from the edges.

I've heard about using Neosporin, but I haven't tried it yet. Right now i'm using something called tea-tree oil. It's all natural and I've heard it's supposed to help, so we'll see what happens.

I've never had a pocket of liquid before though

try neosporin for $5 you cant go wrong and it does wonders.