[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Monday Trivia

Duchess Jack

I have some cuttin' sawing and a hammerin' to do today - so I will check in on these at lunch time.

1) It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity,....

2) A squat grey building of only thirty-four storeys. Over the main entrance the words, Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre, and, in a shield, the World State's Motto, Community, Identity, Stability.

3) It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him. Yossarian was in the hospital with a pain in his liver that fell just short of being jaundice.

4) At the beginning of July, during a spell of exceptionally hot weather, towards evening, a certain young man came down on to the street from the little room he rented from some tenants in S--- Lane and slowly, almost hesitantly, set off towards K---n Bridge.

5) Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

6) The Nellie, a cruising yawl, swung to her anchor without a flutter of the sails, and was at rest.

Metamorphosis Franz Kafka As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.

7) It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

8) Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening Hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.

9) It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

10) The winter winds raged outside, but within the caverns of the mountain dwarves beneath the

Kharolis Mountains, the fury of the storm was not felt.

11) It was 7 minutes after midnight. The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs Shears' house. Its eyes were closed.

12) Renowned curator Jacques Sauniere staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery.

13) Amergo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court Number 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had co cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her.

14) Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

15) Intelligent life on a planet comes of age when it first works out the reason for its own existence. If superior creatures from space ever visit earth, the first question they will ask, in order to assess the level of our civilization, is: "Have they discovered evolution yet?"

16) I had been making the rounds of the Sacrifice Poles the day we heard my brother had escaped. I already knew something was going to happen; the Factory told me.

17) I am a citizen of the United States of America. Our government has been overthrown. Our elected President has been exiled. Old white men wielding martinis and wearing dickies have occupied our nation's capital.

18) Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away.

19) Would Gracie-the-cat be jealous if the Pyes got another pet--a dog?

20) Abraham Lincoln wasn't the sort of man who could lose himself in a crowd.

21) Once upon a time, far away in Japan, a poor young artist sat alone in his little house, waiting for his dinner.

22) It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.

23) Mayo Cornelius Higgins raised his arms high to the sky and spread them wide.

24) When animal droppings and garbage and spoiled straw are piled up in a great heap, the rotting and moiling give forth heat.

25) To start with there was Shora.

26) The young prince was known here and there (and just about everywhere else) as Prince Brat.

27) Sing goddess, the anger of Peleus' son Achilleus and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the Achaians...

28) Serene was a word you could put to Brooklyn, New York

29) It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria. Alongside the platform at Aleppo stood the train grandly designated in the railway guides as the Taurus express

30) Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never lighted by smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary, yet somehow lovable

31) Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton.

32) The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could: but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge

33) On the 24th of February, 1815, the watch-tower of Notre Dame de la Garde signalled the arrival of the three master Pharaon, from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples

34) "(September 16) Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation

35) The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there

36) When May died, Ob came back to the trailer, got out of his good suit and into his regular clothes, then went and sat in the Chevy for the rest of the night

37) He rode into our valley in the summer of '89. I was a kid then, barely topping the backboard of father's old chuck-wagon

38) On a pitch-black, starless night, a solitary man was trudging along the main road from Marchiennes to Montsou, ten kilometres of cobblestones running straight as a die across the bare plain between fields of beet

39) It was Wang Lung's marriage day

40) These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr. Bucket

41) I suppose every boy wants to help his country in some way or other.

42) When Miss Emily Grierson died, our whole town went to her funeral: the men through a sort of respectful affection for a fallen monument, the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house, which no one save an old man-servant--a combined gardener and cook--had seen in at least ten years

43) 'The Signora had no business to do it,' said Miss Bartlett, 'no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy

45) In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the "Times"."

46) The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way towards the lagoon.

47) There was a woman who was beautiful, who started with all the advantages, yet she had no luck

48) The stranger came early in February, one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year, over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station, and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand. He was wrapped up from head to foot, and the brim of his soft felt hat hid every inch of his face but the shiny tip of his nose; the snow had piled itself against his shoulders and chest, and added a white crest to the burden he carried

49) Here is an account of a few years in the life of Quoyle, born in Brooklyn and raised in a shuffle of dreary upstate towns."

50) X - This day when it had light mother called me retch. You retch she said.

51) A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.

52) It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills. I was wearing my powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it.

53) The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards

54) The American handed Leamas another cup of coffee and said, 'Why don't you go back and sleep? We can ring you if he shows up'

55) 'Please sir, is this Plumfield?' asked a ragged boy of the man who opened the great gate at which the omnibus left him

56) Dr. Strauss says I shud rite down what I think and evrey thing that happins to me from now on

57) In the hospital of the orphanage - the boys' division at St. Cloud's, Maine - two nurses were in charge of naming the new babies and checking that their little penises were healing from the obligatory cicumcision.

58) On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. Bridge

59) Lessa woke, cold

60) It was my privilege to know the late Jack Crabb - frontiersman, Indian scout, gunfighter, buffalo hunter, adopted Cheyenne - in his final days upon this earth

61) On September 15th, 1981, a boy named Jack Sawyer stood where the water and land come together, hands in the pockets of his jeans, looking out at the steady Atlantic

62) The morning of June 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green. The people of the village began to gather in the square, between the post office and the bank, around ten o'clock..

63) No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine

64) When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake - not a very big one

65) If you want to find Cherry-Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the Policeman at the cross-roads

66) I was leaning against the bar in a speakeasy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me

67) My lifelong involvement with Mrs Dempster began at 5:58 o'clock p.m. on 27 December 1908, at which time I was ten years and seven months old

68) By the time he graduated from college, John Smith had forgotten all about the bad fall he took on the ice that January day in 1953

69) He sat, in defiance of municipal orders, astride the gun Zam-Zammah on her brick platform opposite the old Ajaib-Gher - the Wonder House, as the natives called the Lahore Museum

70) 'They made a silly mistake, though,' the Professor of History said, and his smile, as Dixon watched, gradually sank beneath the surface of his features at the memory

71) One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it - it was the black kitten's fault entirely

72) Lieutenant Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy woke soon after dawn

73) An author ought to consider himself, not as a gentleman who gives a private or eleemosynary treat, but rather as one who keeps a public ordinary, at which all persons are welcome for their money

74) Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes

75) No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream

76) I first met him in Piraeus

77) When Chili first came to Miami Beach twelve years ago they were having one of their off-and-on cold winters: thirty-four degrees the day he met Tommy Carlo for lunch at Vesuvio's on South Collins and had his leather jacket ripped off

78) I met my Aunt Augusta for the first time in more than half a century at my mother's funeral

79) In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul

80) For the first fifteen years of our lives, Danny and I lived within five blocks of each other and neither of us knew of the other's existence

81) It was in Warwick Castle that I came across the curious stranger whom I am going to talk about

82) Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy

83) One may as well begin with Helen's letters to her sister

84) Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen

85) An easterly is the most disagreeable wind in Lyme Bay - Lyme Bay being that largest bite from the underside of England's outstretched southwestern leg - and a person of curiosity could at once have deduced several strong probabilities about the pair who began to walk down the quay at Lyme Regis, the small but ancient eponym of the inbite, one incisively sharp and blustery morning in the late March of 1867

86) Once upon a time there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith

87) When the world was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man

were as one people. Belar, youngest of the Gods, was beloved by the Alorns

88) I could see men of all colors bouncing along in the boxcar. We stood up. We laid down. We piled around on each other. We used each other for pillows

89) In my time I have been called many things: sister, lover, priestess, wisewoman, queen

90) 'That afternoon three soldiers came to the village. They scattered the goats and chickens. They went to the palm-frond bar and ordered a calabash of palm-wine. They drank amidst the flies

91) I was sitting in my office, my lease had expired and McKelvey was starting eviction proceedings

92) The primroses were over

93) 'Granted: I am an inmate of a mental hospital; my keeper is watching me, he never lets me out of his sight; there's a peephole in the door, and my keeper's eye is the shade of brown that can never see through a blue-eyed type like me

94) Soon it would be too hot

95) 'The irreducile strangeness of the universe was first made manifest to Anthony Van Horne on his fiftieth birthday, when a despondent angel named Raphael, a being with luminous white wings and a halo that blinked on and off like a neon quoit, appeared and told him of the days to come

96) 'Catherine Tekakwitha, who are you

97) 'Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice

98) Here's how it started. I'd never said a word. Not one word

99) Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos

100) 'The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting

Edited by Duchess Jack

I have some cuttin' sawing and a hammerin' to do today - so I will check in on these at lunch time.

1) It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity,....

2) A squat grey building of only thirty-four storeys. Over the main entrance the words, Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre, and, in a shield, the World State's Motto, Community, Identity, Stability.

3) It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him. Yossarian was in the hospital with a pain in his liver that fell just short of being jaundice.

4) At the beginning of July, during a spell of exceptionally hot weather, towards evening, a certain young man came down on to the street from the little room he rented from some tenants in S--- Lane and slowly, almost hesitantly, set off towards K---n Bridge.

5) Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

6) The Nellie, a cruising yawl, swung to her anchor without a flutter of the sails, and was at rest.

Metamorphosis Franz Kafka As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.

7) It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

8) Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening Hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.

9) It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

10) The winter winds raged outside, but within the caverns of the mountain dwarves beneath the

11) It was 7 minutes after midnight. The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs Shears' house. Its eyes were closed.

12) Renowned curator Jacques Sauniere staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery.

13) Amergo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court Number 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had co cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her.

14) Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

15) Intelligent life on a planet comes of age when it first works out the reason for its own existence. If superior creatures from space ever visit earth, the first question they will ask, in order to assess the level of our civilization, is: "Have they discovered evolution yet?"

16) I had been making the rounds of the Sacrifice Poles the day we heard my brother had escaped. I already knew something was going to happen; the Factory told me.

17) I am a citizen of the United States of America. Our government has been overthrown. Our elected President has been exiled. Old white men wielding martinis and wearing dickies have occupied our nation's capital.

18) Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away.

21) Once upon a time, far away in Japan, a poor young artist sat alone in his little house, waiting for his dinner.

23) Mayo Cornelius Higgins raised his arms high to the sky and spread them wide.

24) When animal droppings and garbage and spoiled straw are piled up in a great heap, the rotting and moiling give forth heat.

26) The young prince was known here and there (and just about everywhere else) as Prince Brat.

27) Sing goddess, the anger of Peleus' son Achilleus and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the Achaians...

29) It was five o'clock on a winter's morning in Syria. Alongside the platform at Aleppo stood the train grandly designated in the railway guides as the Taurus express

30) Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never lighted by smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary, yet somehow lovable

32) The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could: but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge

33) On the 24th of February, 1815, the watch-tower of Notre Dame de la Garde signalled the arrival of the three master Pharaon, from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples

34) "(September 16) Yesterday I remember thinking I was the happiest person in the whole earth, in the whole galaxy, in all of God's creation

35) The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there

36) When May died, Ob came back to the trailer, got out of his good suit and into his regular clothes, then went and sat in the Chevy for the rest of the night

37) He rode into our valley in the summer of '89. I was a kid then, barely topping the backboard of father's old chuck-wagon

38) On a pitch-black, starless night, a solitary man was trudging along the main road from Marchiennes to Montsou, ten kilometres of cobblestones running straight as a die across the bare plain between fields of beet

40) These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr. Bucket

42) When Miss Emily Grierson died, our whole town went to her funeral: the men through a sort of respectful affection for a fallen monument, the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house, which no one save an old man-servant--a combined gardener and cook--had seen in at least ten years

43) 'The Signora had no business to do it,' said Miss Bartlett, 'no business at all. She promised us south rooms with a view close together, instead of which here are north rooms, here are north rooms, looking into a courtyard, and a long way apart. Oh, Lucy

45) In the corner of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the "Times"."

46) The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way towards the lagoon.

47) There was a woman who was beautiful, who started with all the advantages, yet she had no luck

48) The stranger came early in February, one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year, over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station, and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand. He was wrapped up from head to foot, and the brim of his soft felt hat hid every inch of his face but the shiny tip of his nose; the snow had piled itself against his shoulders and chest, and added a white crest to the burden he carried

49) Here is an account of a few years in the life of Quoyle, born in Brooklyn and raised in a shuffle of dreary upstate towns."

51) A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.

52) It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills. I was wearing my powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it.

53) The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards

54) The American handed Leamas another cup of coffee and said, 'Why don't you go back and sleep? We can ring you if he shows up'

55) 'Please sir, is this Plumfield?' asked a ragged boy of the man who opened the great gate at which the omnibus left him

56) Dr. Strauss says I shud rite down what I think and evrey thing that happins to me from now on

57) In the hospital of the orphanage - the boys' division at St. Cloud's, Maine - two nurses were in charge of naming the new babies and checking that their little penises were healing from the obligatory cicumcision.

58) On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. Bridge

59) Lessa woke, cold

60) It was my privilege to know the late Jack Crabb - frontiersman, Indian scout, gunfighter, buffalo hunter, adopted Cheyenne - in his final days upon this earth

61) On September 15th, 1981, a boy named Jack Sawyer stood where the water and land come together, hands in the pockets of his jeans, looking out at the steady Atlantic

62) The morning of June 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green. The people of the village began to gather in the square, between the post office and the bank, around ten o'clock..

63) No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine

64) When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake - not a very big one

65) If you want to find Cherry-Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the Policeman at the cross-roads

66) I was leaning against the bar in a speakeasy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me

67) My lifelong involvement with Mrs Dempster began at 5:58 o'clock p.m. on 27 December 1908, at which time I was ten years and seven months old

68) By the time he graduated from college, John Smith had forgotten all about the bad fall he took on the ice that January day in 1953

69) He sat, in defiance of municipal orders, astride the gun Zam-Zammah on her brick platform opposite the old Ajaib-Gher - the Wonder House, as the natives called the Lahore Museum

70) 'They made a silly mistake, though,' the Professor of History said, and his smile, as Dixon watched, gradually sank beneath the surface of his features at the memory

71) One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it - it was the black kitten's fault entirely

72) Lieutenant Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy woke soon after dawn

73) An author ought to consider himself, not as a gentleman who gives a private or eleemosynary treat, but rather as one who keeps a public ordinary, at which all persons are welcome for their money

74) Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes

75) No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream

77) When Chili first came to Miami Beach twelve years ago they were having one of their off-and-on cold winters: thirty-four degrees the day he met Tommy Carlo for lunch at Vesuvio's on South Collins and had his leather jacket ripped off

78) I met my Aunt Augusta for the first time in more than half a century at my mother's funeral

79) In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul

80) For the first fifteen years of our lives, Danny and I lived within five blocks of each other and neither of us knew of the other's existence

81) It was in Warwick Castle that I came across the curious stranger whom I am going to talk about

82) Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy

84) Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen

85) An easterly is the most disagreeable wind in Lyme Bay - Lyme Bay being that largest bite from the underside of England's outstretched southwestern leg - and a person of curiosity could at once have deduced several strong probabilities about the pair who began to walk down the quay at Lyme Regis, the small but ancient eponym of the inbite, one incisively sharp and blustery morning in the late March of 1867

87) When the world was new, the seven Gods dwelt in harmony, and the races of man

88) I could see men of all colors bouncing along in the boxcar. We stood up. We laid down. We piled around on each other. We used each other for pillows

89) In my time I have been called many things: sister, lover, priestess, wisewoman, queen

90) 'That afternoon three soldiers came to the village. They scattered the goats and chickens. They went to the palm-frond bar and ordered a calabash of palm-wine. They drank amidst the flies

91) I was sitting in my office, my lease had expired and McKelvey was starting eviction proceedings

93) 'Granted: I am an inmate of a mental hospital; my keeper is watching me, he never lets me out of his sight; there's a peephole in the door, and my keeper's eye is the shade of brown that can never see through a blue-eyed type like me

95) 'The irreducile strangeness of the universe was first made manifest to Anthony Van Horne on his fiftieth birthday, when a despondent angel named Raphael, a being with luminous white wings and a halo that blinked on and off like a neon quoit, appeared and told him of the days to come

96) 'Catherine Tekakwitha, who are you

97) 'Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice

99) Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos

100) 'The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting

Nuts!

1) It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity,.... A Tale of Two Cities

2) A squat grey building of only thirty-four storeys. Over the main entrance the words, Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre, and, in a shield, the World State's Motto, Community, Identity, Stability. Brave New World

3) It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him. Yossarian was in the hospital with a pain in his liver that fell just short of being jaundice. Catch 22

4) At the beginning of July, during a spell of exceptionally hot weather, towards evening, a certain young man came down on to the street from the little room he rented from some tenants in S--- Lane and slowly, almost hesitantly, set off towards K---n Bridge. Crime and Punishment

7) It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. 1984

14) Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

40) These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr. Bucket Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

51) A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.Little House on the Prairie

56) Dr. Strauss says I shud rite down what I think and evrey thing that happins to me from now onFlowers for Algernon

58) On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. Bridge Crime and Punishment (again)

59) Lessa woke, cold

62) The morning of June 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green. The people of the village began to gather in the square, between the post office and the bank, around ten o'clock..The Lottery

74) Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes Animal Farm

82) Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and LucyThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

96) 'Catherine Tekakwitha, who are you Last of the Mohicans

Edited by wiegie

Kharolis Mountains, the fury of the storm was not felt. - Dragonlance series - don't know which one.

100) 'The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting - The Red Badge of Courage