[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should election ballots be in multiple languages?

H8tank

Should election ballots be in multiple languages?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should election ballots be in multiple languages?

• Yes, we should make voting as easy as possible for all
    • No. Only US citizens can vote. A criteria of being a citizen is being proficient in English.

For those of you who voted yes, how many different languages should be on the ballots? What languages should be on the ballots? Ideally if someone pays taxes, they should be allowed to vote, and I think that making it easier to vote is fine, but where do you draw the line? How much money are we going to spend printing ballots in different languages, and if we print it in 5 languages what is to keep someone who speaks kangaroo from going the ACLU complaining discrimination?

Another thought, if someone can't read or speak english, how informed are their decisions going to be, especially when 95% of campaign ads, and 100% of debates are in english? Just a thought.

For those of you who voted yes, how many different languages should be on the ballots? What languages should be on the ballots? Ideally if someone pays taxes, they should be allowed to vote, and I think that making it easier to vote is fine, but where do you draw the line? How much money are we going to spend printing ballots in different languages, and if we print it in 5 languages what is to keep someone who speaks kangaroo from going the ACLU complaining discrimination?

Another thought, if someone can't read or speak english, how informed are their decisions going to be, especially when 95% of campaign ads, and 100% of debates are in english? Just a thought.

unfortunately we do not have a national language.

Step 1) Get one.

Step 2) Ballots in English Only

Step 3) All government paper work in English Only

Step 4) No classes that are not regarding another language in another language

you should get as many votes as tax dollars you pay

You already pretty much do. I used to be a private chef for some major high rollers and prepared meals for many private sit-downs with pretty high ranking congressmen and senators. You pay enough jack and you get to personally ask the right people exactly how you'd like those tax dollars spent.

I thought it was in 100% gibberish and double-speak. :D

You already pretty much do. I used to be a private chef for some major high rollers and prepared meals for many private sit-downs with pretty high ranking congressmen and senators. You pay enough jack and you get to personally ask the right people exactly how you'd like those tax dollars spent.

u mean like U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens.. :D

u mean like U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens.. :D

Pretty much, though I should add I never cooked for him. Bill Bradley and Dick Gephardt were the biggest names. I heard rumor that Hillary might be coming to town but if that happened, it was after my time there.

I agree that ballots should only be printed in English. In order to qualify for citizenship, immigrants must have lived in the US for at least 5 years (3 if they obtained their green card via marriage to an American) and must demonstrate at least an elementary knowledge of English.

And for the record, my wife, who is not yet a US citizen and is not a native English speaker, just said, "If you want to become a citizen and vote, then you should learn to speak the language."

My wife is a smart woman.

I agree that ballots should only be printed in English. In order to qualify for citizenship, immigrants must have lived in the US for at least 5 years (3 if they obtained their green card via marriage to an American) and must demonstrate at least an elementary knowledge of English.

And for the record, my wife, who is not yet a US citizen and is not a native English speaker, just said, "If you want to become a citizen and vote, then you should learn to speak the language."

My wife is a smart woman.

in comparison to us, most are.