[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it just lip service?

Cunning Runt

Remember you in my prayers  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your honest take on the comment - "I'll remember you in my prayers?"

• I don't ever say it 'cause it wouldn't be true and I know it wouldn't be.
    • I say it to make the person feel better, but I don't really pray, so basically it's lip service.
    • I say it to make the person feel better, but I don't actually include that person and their situation in my prayers, so it's basically lip service.
    • I pray and if I say it, I do make sure to include them and their situations.

I read from time to time situations on these boards as well as others not related to the Huddle and i hear the comment "I'll remember you in my prayers".

I'm just curious about this and I'll do this in the form of a poll so you can answer honestly/anonymously.

If I say I'll pray for something or someone, then I pray for them. I usually just stop what I'm doing a throw a quick prayer skyward for that person and then go on with the rest of my day. If I happen to remember it that night, I'll include it in my the prayer I usually say before I go to bed. I don't continue praying over and over and over for someone or something though. I figure once is enough.

I know the poll itself is anonymous, but still I think its important to comment on this.

I pray with my son every night. Usually we just thank God for simple things and then go through the list of family members, "God bless Mommy, God bless Grandpa" etc. On those occassions that someone here (or in other areas of my life) asks for prays or good vibes, I sincerely try to remember them and their petition in my prayers that night. Most of the time I am pretty good at remembering to do that, but not always. But even those times when I just forget that I told someone that I would pray for them, I still don't consider it lip service. But maybe other people do. :D

If I say I'll pray for something or someone, then I pray for them. I usually just stop what I'm doing a throw a quick prayer skyward for that person and then go on with the rest of my day. If I happen to remember it that night, I'll include it in my the prayer I usually say before I go to bed. I don't continue praying over and over and over for someone or something though. I figure once is enough.

+1 If I don't do it right then, or at least write it down and put it in my pocket, I have a tough time remembering that night.

I know the poll itself is anonymous, but still I think its important to comment on this.

I pray with my son every night. Usually we just thank God for simple things and then go through the list of family members, "God bless Mommy, God bless Grandpa" etc. On those occassions that someone here (or in other areas of my life) asks for prays or good vibes, I sincerely try to remember them and their petition in my prayers that night. Most of the time I am pretty good at remembering to do that, but not always. But even those times when I just forget that I told someone that I would pray for them, I still don't consider it lip service. But maybe other people do. :D

+1

Well said.

I don't pray and I've never said that I'll pray for someone. However, when I say I'll keep someone in my thoughts, I do.

+1. I'm not even remotely religious but I do sincerely mean it when I send best wishes, good vibes or whatever. FWIW, I've always considered those that say they'll pray on these boards as being completely sincere.

When I was in 2nd grade we had a nun that said whenever she wanted to say a quick prayer for someone she would say it to St. Joseph. She would say the phrase."St. Joseph in this hour show me your power" For some reason I never forgot that. When I tell a huddler I am going to pray for them I do pretty much what Perch said. I stop what I am doing and repeat that phrase the nun taught me.

Edited by whomper