[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction Strat

Roo

Hi - looking for a bit of auction strategy insight/thoughts, as our league is switching over to it this year. (great move in my opinion)

I've done a fair share of mock acutions and I am wondering if anyone goes big - like real big. The way I see it, if you take you average $200 pot, you could legitamately get LT (say for $85) and SJax (say for $75) and still have some chump change left to fill out your roster. Even with sizable rosters it seems you could basically sit around until the $1-3 realm and pick off some decent talent. Spend another chunk (like $20) on a decent WR...

I am pretty sure something akin to this could result:

QB: Rivers/Leinhart/Delhomme

RB: LT

RB SJax

WR: Andre Johnson

WR: Mark Clayton

WR: Galloway

Flex: Kevin Jones/Julius Jones/Jackson/Chester

Anyone ever try this strategy or something like it?

Hi - looking for a bit of auction strategy insight/thoughts, as our league is switching over to it this year. (great move in my opinion)

I've done a fair share of mock acutions and I am wondering if anyone goes big - like real big. The way I see it, if you take you average $200 pot, you could legitamately get LT (say for $85) and SJax (say for $75) and still have some chump change left to fill out your roster. Even with sizable rosters it seems you could basically sit around until the $1-3 realm and pick off some decent talent. Spend another chunk (like $20) on a decent WR...

RB SJax

Anyone ever try this strategy or something like it?

I participate in two auction leagues. If you spend $160 out of $200 on two players you will liekly not be very successful. You will certainly have the greatest back field in the league but you will be unable to compete for any player in any other position. You will get left with the left overs. And clearly you will have zero depth. I don't believe you could land half the other players you listed for a sum of $40

I participate in two auction leagues. If you spend $160 out of $200 on two players you will liekly not be very successful. You will certainly have the greatest back field in the league but you will be unable to compete for any player in any other position. You will get left with the left overs. And clearly you will have zero depth. I don't believe you could land half the other players you listed for a sum of $40

I wouldn't think so either, but I keep seeing it happen. I am in shock, watching guys like that fly off the board at $1-2. (not Andre, the others)

It might be poor drafting, granted.

My local is a $300 cap. LT2 has gone for $161 and $159 in the last two years. Top backs go for big bucks so be prepared to only get one if you really want him. As Grits said, overpaying for one player will leave you with a weak roster. And if that player goes down...:D...you are SOL.

Still really one one?

Did Auction yesterday and combined those 2 went for $160. However I don't think it would fly, at that point there is 40 dollars left for 14 picks (16 roster). That leaves you a max bid of 26 bucks for 1 and $1 for the rest. Or if you evened it out its roughly $3 dollars per pick. It was a fam league and alot of the picks/prices represent a very mixed league in terms of talent (FF pros and FF nubs), But only two of those people on the possible roster went under 3 dollars, Galloway and Clayton. I should state that the league is heavy TD scoring so WR's come cheaper, and I think if you have a league of people that know what they are doing this philosophy will flop bigtime.

The rest: Rivers/Leinhart/Delhomme all over $7 and Kevin Jones (Don't Remember)/Julius Jones $4/Jackson (Brandon? $4)/Chester $4

May want to consider like a SJAX and like a T. Henry or something as it will give you roughly $25-35 extra bucks to play with to back your roster up.

you will have to think back to 2003 but this is what my roster looked like($240 cap)

this was an end of season roster but if memory serves me then i dropped all my RB depth to look

for options at QB...i think those are the WRs i actually won in the auction....maybe Brown was a ww

pickup

Slot Pos Name Bid

1 QB Bouman, Todd $2

2 QB Brees, Drew $2

3 QB Brooks, Aaron $20

4 QB Frerotte, Gus $2

5 QB Volek, Billy $2

6 RB Holmes, Priest $64

7 RB Jordan, LaMont $4

8 RB Tomlinson, L. $71

9 WR Brown, Troy $2

10 WR Jackson, Darrell $17

11 WR Kennison, Eddie $2

12 WR Muhammad, Muhsin $2

13 WR Rogers, Charles $2

14 TE Williams, Boo $2

15 K Elling, Aaron $2

16 DT Chicago $2

I'm a fan of the studs and scrubs approach. You only get points for the players you start ... you don't get any points for your bench (except in many some tie-breaker scenarios in the playoffs). Go for it!

Just a quick update on this. I tried this strategy last night in a surprisingly talented/compettitive mock auction.

$200 cap - 10-team

I got LT for $87 (yikes). I then bid up to $78 for SJax but had to let him go. He ended up going for $81 (!). That would have left me with $32, which would not have cut it. (there was a flex to fill and 3 WRs)

I ended up getting MJD for $40 and Wayne for $25. Then Deuce for $9 and Kitna for $11. I also was able to land Julius Jones for $8. (bench)

I liked my team in the end, but definately had some serious questionmarks at WR2 and WR3, as well as my bench.

Just a quick update on this. I tried this strategy last night in a surprisingly talented/compettitive mock auction.

$200 cap - 10-team

I got LT for $87 (yikes). I then bid up to $78 for SJax but had to let him go. He ended up going for $81 (!). That would have left me with $32, which would not have cut it. (there was a flex to fill and 3 WRs)

I ended up getting MJD for $40 and Wayne for $25. Then Deuce for $9 and Kitna for $11. I also was able to land Julius Jones for $8. (bench)

I liked my team in the end, but definately had some serious questionmarks at WR2 and WR3, as well as my bench.

About four years ago, I spent $175 of $200 on LT, SA and Culpepper ... with 11 spots to fill. Got Chad Johnson (3rd year) for $11, Derrick Mason for like $4, Jerry Porter for $2 and everyone else was $1. It wasn't close. I killed everyone all year ... went (iirc) 14-2 and was the points leader by like 10% higher than #2 in the league.

So, if you would have won SJax for $82 and LT for $87, you would have had $31 left for the rest of your team ... add in Kitna at $11 and you would have been looking really pretty good ... you would have had to be a hero with your $1-$3 players the rest of the auction ... and probably snagged some FAs during the year, but SJ / LT, plus Kitna ... you'd have been hard to stop, no matter who you had a WR.

Regardless, good luck.

Edited by muck

RB SJax

I am pretty sure that in a competitive league it could not.

And I thiink the odds of winning a league with THE 2 top guys and mostly a bunch of cross-your-fingers-and-pray guys are slim.

I have used the top stud RB strategy last year, but there were 3 top studs. I took the first two studs offered (LT and LJ)and paid only $122 out of a $200 CAP (18 players) (then SA went for $71). I aslo got Gore really cheap $3 which helped inn theplayoff run.

I got lucky at QB (Brees for $1) and basically bought as many WR's as I could and then scoured the WW for emerging WR/RB (Colston and MDJ) talent of which there always is. (We also bid on FA as we start witha $20 CAP to spend on FA throughout the season) I won the league in a land slide.

The fact that you only have 2 clear studs this year may limit your ability to pull off this stategy this year. You may be able to get 2 of the top 3 RB's or 2 out of the top 5 both of which seem more doable and will be cheaper than going after the top 2. Whatever you do take the first stud RB out of the gate as they seem to go cheaper as the price has not been set and owners aren't sure how much is too much.

So I was able to pull it off last night. LT for $84 and SJax for $70. Then I kind of made a dumb move and got MJD for the flex at $35. Good price in my opinion, but it sacked me for the rest of the draft.

Thought it was pretty cool that I still got Clayton and Holmes for some upside, and then I really don't mind Big Ben/Delhomme at QB, nor Vernon Davis at TE. Definately very weak WRs overall, to the point where if nobody breaks-out I am in for a bunch of 4 catch, 30 yard games. Also have a terrible bench (beyond Henderson maybe) - bye weeks will be brutal. No bench value like Betts/Norwood/Tatum/jackson kind of scares me.

Thoughts?

QB Ben Roethlisberger Steelers (PIT) 0

RB Steven Jackson Rams (STL) 70

RB LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers (SDG) 84

WR Santonio Holmes Steelers (PIT) 2

WR Matt Jones Jaguars (JAC) 1

WR Mark Clayton Ravens (BAL) 4

TE Vernon Davis 49ers (SFO) 2

R/W/T Maurice Jones-Drew Jaguars (JAC) 35

K Jason Elam Broncos (DEN) 1

DEF Pittsburgh Steelers Steelers (PIT) 0

B-QB Jake Delhomme Panthers (CAR) 0

B-RB Correll Buckhalter Eagles (PHI) 0

B-WR Devery Henderson Saints (NOR) 0

B-WR Muhsin Muhammad Bears (CHI) 1

B-WR Troy Williamson Vikings (MIN) 0

Remaining Salary Cap:$0 Total:$200

Edited by Roo

I dominated our local last year going 12-2 and leading in total points by over 15%. I went in intending to get at least one top tier RB (really wanted Larry). Our cap is $150 and both Larry and LT went for $69 each. Rather than try to get two of the top three, I just wanted one, then bottom of tier 1/ top tier 2 players at each of the other positions. Needless to say, the strategy went extremely well. My original team looked like this:

1 TOMLINSON 69

2 J.WALKER 10

3 TURNER 4

4 M.MCNABB 12

5 M.BULGER 9

6 D.RHODES 16

7 A. VINATIERI 5

8 Th JONES 4

9 MIKE CLAYTON 1

10 F TAYLOR 6

11 WATSON 4

12 KEV CURTIS 1

13 P RIVERS 2

14 V.DAVIS 2

15 Sa MOSS 5

I wired Colston and turned Bulger, Rhodes, FTaylor and SMoss into Harrison, Gonzalez and Chester Taylor. Bottom line, as stated in other posts, if you spend 80%+ of your cap on top two RB's you have no depth at ANY position to trade strength for strength. Our league champ for the last 5 years has had at least one of Priest, SA, LT or LJ every year. Maybe coincidence, but the trend suggests if you have that season's top RB, you have a great chance.

So I was able to pull it off last night. LT for $84 and SJax for $70. Then I kind of made a dumb move and got MJD for the flex at $35. Good price in my opinion, but it sacked me for the rest of the draft.

Thought it was pretty cool that I still got Clayton and Holmes for some upside, and then I really don't mind Big Ben/Delhomme at QB, nor Vernon Davis at TE. Definately very weak WRs overall, to the point where if nobody breaks-out I am in for a bunch of 4 catch, 30 yard games. Also have a terrible bench (beyond Henderson maybe) - bye weeks will be brutal. No bench value like Betts/Norwood/Tatum/jackson kind of scares me.

Thoughts?

QB Ben Roethlisberger Steelers (PIT) 0

RB Steven Jackson Rams (STL) 70

RB LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers (SDG) 84

WR Santonio Holmes Steelers (PIT) 2

WR Matt Jones Jaguars (JAC) 1

WR Mark Clayton Ravens (BAL) 4

TE Vernon Davis 49ers (SFO) 2

R/W/T Maurice Jones-Drew Jaguars (JAC) 35

K Jason Elam Broncos (DEN) 1

DEF Pittsburgh Steelers Steelers (PIT) 0

B-QB Jake Delhomme Panthers (CAR) 0

B-RB Correll Buckhalter Eagles (PHI) 0

B-WR Devery Henderson Saints (NOR) 0

B-WR Muhsin Muhammad Bears (CHI) 1

B-WR Troy Williamson Vikings (MIN) 0

Remaining Salary Cap:$0 Total:$200

Roo,

Yours was the league that after you spent your CAP$ you then you just drafted players.....

This made you strategy much more doable as you really did not have to save $$ for roster spots.

I like your RB's of course but might have tried to get the back ups for both if possible. I agree that you could have gotten a couple of good WR instead of MDJ. Your receivers have a lot of upside especially Henderson and Williamson. Davis could be a great TE especially if he stays healthy, that offense is ready to click! Overall it is a team that will live and die by the RBs, but you knew that going in.

Let us know how the season progresses.

The guy that went huge with Shaun Alexander ($66) and Larry Johnson ($44) in my $200 cap MML won it all--but it was also the first year of changing both the roster size and salary cap, so the prices and slots went kind of wacky. He went with Mark Brunell ($1) and J.P. Losman ($1) at QB and just got lucky. That's the gamble you take when you go BIG like that--you have to be very good AND very lucky when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel fto fill out your roster.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

Auctions are tough to figure because of the different tendencies of the people involved. Last year, in our 200 cap auction LT went for $92. This year, I expect him to go for around 115.