[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maroney

RokoMotion

So week 1 of the Maroney circus is now in the books. We all knew he had risk because of injury concern, and/or Sammy Morris. But was it expected that they would split carries 50/50? I expected Maroney to at least get a majority, as well as the goal line work.

What did you take away from watching game 1? How do you see Maroney's season shaking out after watching his first performance?

(A little panic in me!)

Overall I thought he ran pretty strong. The injury didn't SEEM like it hindered him, although it might have affected his number of carries.

The problem was that NE abandoned the run in favor of the long ball - since it was working against a piss poor Jets secondary. Thus, it was Brandy and Moss who benefited the most. (maybe this was on purpose, maybe it was just the way things shook out)

I don't know his final stats off hand but I remember thinking he looked pretty good all things considered.

Maroney 20 for 72

Morris 11 for 54

Maroney started off with some nice runs and was at 6 for 30 and then the carries became more sparse and for less yards from then on. He didn't get any touches in the redzone but Brady was throwing there for the most part. He did look like after the first 7 or 8 carries that he wasn't hitting the hole hard where Sammy Morris went straight through as hard and fast as he could.

I watched most of that Jet/Patriots nightmare, although not with a specific eye towards how Maroney was being used. The below is from reviewing the play-by-play at nfl.com:

First drive he looked like he was in for a monster afternoon - had his number called on 5 of the first 6 plays and totaled 28 yards in those 5 attempts. After they crossed midfield, Sammy Morris came in for one 13-yard scamper, then later in the drive Maroney got one more attempt late in that drive from the Jets 13 for only 2 yards.

Next 2 drives Morris was in most of the tiem, Maroney only got one more attempt for zero yards.

Pats' 4th drive (now only 4 minutes left in the half), maroney is back in and opens with 2 rushes for 8 yards. Couple passes bring the Patriots downfield, and Maroney did get 2 consecutive attempts from the 6 and 5 yard line, but managed only one yard before Brady punched it in on a pass play on 3rd down.

Second Half

1st Pats drive, Maroney has 2 attempts for 6 yards, Pats score on an 80+ yard pass to Moss.

Next drive - Pats take up over 10 minutes on the clock on a 75-yard drive which ends in a field goal. Morris started the drive and ended with 5 attempts for 30 yards on the drive. Maroney had 3 for 12, and Kevin Faulk got in on the act with a 4-yard run.

Last drive - Maroney runs 4 times for 15 yards. Game was already decided, but the Pats did get two attempts from the 1-yard line, both of which went to fullback heath Evans, he punched it in the second time. I cannot recall if Maroney was on the field for those 2 plays and cannot tell from the play-by-play on nfl.com.

I thought Maroney looked very good yesterday, and was surprised (and, as a Jets fan, relieved) that he was not on the field more often. I'm not entirely ready to concede that Evans is the goalline back - Maroney did get 2 carries inside the 10 early in the game, and on that last drive the game was already decided so giving it to Evans there may or may not be indicative of what their plans are for the season in those situations. There were 4 instances earlier in the game where the Pats had 3rd and short (1 or 2 yards to go) - they called a pass play in 3 of those instances and handed it to Morris the other time.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

EnD sums it up.

He looked OK, didn't hit the line as hard as Morris. Seemed to wait for holes that weren't there and closed on him while Morris burst through them. The pass was working so well that they stuck with it.

It was his 1st game with 20 carries....I think he'll get his but there could be some down weeks when the WR/TE/Faulk/Evans are targeted more.

He looked excellent at the start, but they seemed to go away from him in favor of the pass as dictated by the defense.

Important to note that the Jets were playing the Pats pretty much straight-up for the first 3 quarters of the game (i.e. not doubling up on Randy... which will now happen for the rest of the year).

As teams are forced to roll a safety over top to deal with Randy, Maroney will benefit big-time. He'll only have 20-25 carries a game, but he's a big play guy and can hit some home runs.

Evans' stat line shows him having 2 carries for 1 yard and a TD and that was on consecutive plays. The first was for no gain to which NE challenged & lost, the second was the same play & Evans scored. This is hardly cause for concern IMO.

1-1-NYJ 1 (2:38) 44-H.Evans right guard to NYJ 1 for no gain (63-D.Robertson).

2-1-NYJ 1 (2:00) #50 Vrabel and #55 Seau report as eligible. 44-H.Evans right tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

He looked excellent at the start, but they seemed to go away from him in favor of the pass as dictated by the defense.

Important to note that the Jets were playing the Pats pretty much straight-up for the first 3 quarters of the game (i.e. not doubling up on Randy... which will now happen for the rest of the year).

As teams are forced to roll a safety over top to deal with Randy, Maroney will benefit big-time. He'll only have 20-25 carries a game, but he's a big play guy and can hit some home runs.

CED says it best here. I have Maroney in a dynasty league and he's arguably my #1 RB, so I watched this game very closely.

In the beginning Maroney was hitting the holes with authority and moving the pile. Given that this was his first 'real' contact of the year as I believe he only had a handful of rushes in the pre-seaon, he appeared to tire out a little.

I think the Randy factor, for as long as it lasts, will benefit the entire NE rushing attack.

I would chalk this performance to something similar to what happened to LT, LJ, and S Jax, just shaking off some rust. I think if the game didn't get out of reach, you would have seen Maroney get more carries down the stretch and possibly the goal-line carries that Evans received.

One week is an abiration, two weeks is a concern, three weeks is a problem. Let's see what he does against a Buffalo and Cincinnati defense before we over react.

I drafted Maroney. I was so concerned about him because last year it looked like he had trouble figuring out where the holes were. He would hesitiate then run into defenders (except for that one big game). I kept reading about how good the offensive line is at NE. The running game should be superb. Maroney looked like he just continued where he left off. I took the bait now I wish I didn't. Such is life or should I say, "Fantasy Football."

Time for waivers.

I drafted Maroney. I was so concerned about him because last year it looked like he had trouble figuring out where the holes were. He would hesitiate then run into defenders (except for that one big game). I kept reading about how good the offensive line is at NE. The running game should be superb. Maroney looked like he just continued where he left off. I took the bait now I wish I didn't. Such is life or should I say, "Fantasy Football."

Time for waivers.

I would recommend that you hang in there for at least the first five weeks....don't trade your studs away and panic...Maroney will get his TDs when they double up on Moss...

Typical New England stuff. They seemed to have Maroney in for a series or two, then Morris for a series or two. Kevin Faulk would come in on some third downs.

The WR substitutions were what was cool to watch. Moss was not on the field every play. They shuttled in Washington, Welker, Stallworth, and Gaffney, with different combinations at different times. You gotta love how Bill moves guys around looking to exploit match-ups.