[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New rule in my local league

Grits and Shins

Every year there are 1 or 2 owners in my local league that drag their feet when it comes to paying their entry fee. I've always managed to collect the entry fees before the end of the season, sometimes by taking them out of that owner's winnings.

Last year I got tired of playing the collector and instituted a new rule. Owners who have not paid their entry fees are not allow to make any transactions (including IR) and do not qualify for the weekly prize cash payouts. Our weekly categories are:

Team to score the highest points gets $5

Team to start the highest scoring player gets $5

Team to win by the biggest margin gets $5

In addition the highest in each category gets an additional payout at the end of week 13.

Week 2 and I still have 2 owners who have not paid their entry fee.

Owner number 1 started Palmer + Addai + MBIII + Chad Johnson + Cotchery + Heap for the weekly high score of 191.54, a score that likely would also have taken the yearly prize - DISQUALIFIED.

Owner number 2 had the 2nd highest score of the week (against owner 1) - DISQUALIFIED.

Owner number 1 also started the highest scoring player, Chad Johnson (43.90) - DISQUALIFIED.

Owner number 2 started the 2nd highest scoring player, Steve Smith (41.30) - DISQUALIFIED.

I had to get down to the 6th ranked player before I could award the high player award

Owner number 1 also had the highest victory margin - DISQUALIFIED.

Edited by Grits and Shins

We instituted that rule in our second year way back in 1995 - our first year this one guy we didn't know very well never paid, but then won a bunch of weeks as well as his division and told us to take his entry fee out of that. Proble being, of course, we never knew for sure if he woulda' paid had he not won those prizes. Second year we didn't invite him back and then insitituted a rule in his honor that a franchise is ineligible for prize money until their league dues are fully paid.

Never had to implement it though, everyone pays up on draft day.

we always usesd the No Pay No Draft No Play Rule :D

Long time league (I joined in '92), with a strong core of owners that have 10+ years of tenure. So if somebody shows up to draft day without check/cash I'm supposed to turn him away? And how would I replace him on draft day. Yeah, yeah ... this is where you say make them pay in advance ... I've tried.

I bet he pays on time next year.

The real interesting thing will be what happens week 4 when he has to either start Chad Pennington or no one. Or in week 6 when he will have no kicker or week 8 when he will have no defense.

We have had the same problem. Turning someone away on draft night is tough because....well...you're now a coach short and no one can draft. Two years ago, we assigned a league treasurer (not me the commish). It's a 3 player keeper league, so we placed a rule that if you didn't pay by week 1, you had to sit a keeper, don't pay by week 2, sit two keepers. So far, we have not had to institute the rule because it's pay on draft night.

Of course, we started when all the coaches were in their mid-twenties living check-to-check at best. Now we're all a little older and the entry fee has not raised significantly so it's not usually a big deal.

Collecting FA money is a different story!!! Can't seem to get some guys to send out a $20 check anymore.

Long time league (I joined in '92), with a strong core of owners that have 10+ years of tenure. So if somebody shows up to draft day without check/cash I'm supposed to turn him away? And how would I replace him on draft day. Yeah, yeah ... this is where you say make them pay in advance ... I've tried.

The real interesting thing will be what happens week 4 when he has to either start Chad Pennington or no one. Or in week 6 when he will have no kicker or week 8 when he will have no defense.

Same boat for me...commish of my local for the past six years, all high school and college. buddies. Everyone ends up paying, but sometimes it's week 13 or so. New rule this year is $5 penalty per week past week 4 for franchises that aren't paid.

I hate bitching about money with friends. :D

If getting the irresponsible people to pay is an issue, why tack on more $ as a penalty when you aren't getting the original dues in the first place?! Hit 'em where it hurts - their points and record. Our league rules state that if you don't pay by the beginning of week 3 you forfeit each subsequent game (including week 3) until you do pay. Everyone's always excited about their teams early in the season, so the prospect of getting an L on your record (and losing points for that week) which could possibly keep you out of the playoffs is never good. If two people who haven't paid play each other, you adjust the scoring to 0. I've done this rule for the last 3 years and always receive everyone's money before the first week 3 game... Collecting money from friends is never fun (or always successful), but this has worked well for me.

If getting the irresponsible people to pay is an issue, why tack on more $ as a penalty when you aren't getting the original dues in the first place?! Hit 'em where it hurts - their points and record. Our league rules state that if you don't pay by the beginning of week 3 you forfeit each subsequent game (including week 3) until you do pay. Everyone's always excited about their teams early in the season, so the prospect of getting an L on your record (and losing points for that week) which could possibly keep you out of the playoffs is never good. If two people who haven't paid play each other, you adjust the scoring to 0. I've done this rule for the last 3 years and always receive everyone's money before the first week 3 game... Collecting money from friends is never fun (or always successful), but this has worked well for me.

The financial penalty assessed does not come from the owner's pocket - it is money he would have won had his accoiunt been paid up. So in this case had the owner paid his $65 entry fee he would have won $15 this week and be only down $40. Instead he has not paid hsi entry fee and is still down $65.

Penalizing an owner by giving him a loss has the very big down side of giving another owner a win they didn't earn :D

Edited by Grits and Shins

The financial penalty assessed does not come from the owner's pocket - it is money he would have won had his accoiunt been paid up. So in this case had the owner paid his $65 entry fee he would have won $15 this week and be only down $40. Instead he has not paid hsi entry fee and is still down $65.

Penalizing an owner by giving him a loss has the very big down side of giving another owner a win they didn't earn :D

This is all really cool but I don't see how this topic has anything to do with me or helping my fantasy team. With that said I give it a 45.987345.

Grits you rip on people for posting rate my team because it can't help you and your team. Hypocrit!!!