[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kids Birthday Parties

Atlanta Cracker

What is the deal with inviting children and BOTH parents to kids birthday parites these days? What ever happened to the good ole days of dropping the children off for a couple of hours, having some time to yourself, then picking them up when the party is over?

I thought I was in the clear now that most of our friends are married and we've completed the dreaded couples showers. Now I have a party for a 3 year old scheduled for 3PM on a Saturday in October for one of my wife's friend's daughters. I've only ever laid eyes on the kid 3 times yet I'm expected to be at this party? My wife is either going to have to stop making friends or I have to find a way out of these things. :D

I don't ever remember my dad going to a birthday party for one of my friends or even my mom staying for the party unless she was one of a couple of people helping out.

Anyone else been dragged to these things?

A well timed emergency at home that requires your immediate attention could work wonders for you. :D

Well, honey let's pack up and head out to that party we've all been looking forward to... OMG! Wait a minute! The car won't start. You better take the kids in the other car, while I stay here and try to figure out what's wrong out here in the garage with this other television showing football games in the background while I diligently work my fingers to the bone getting myself covered in grease as I wait until you pull away before I reconnect the distributor cap.

A well timed emergency at home that requires your immediate attention could work wonders for you. :D

Well, honey let's pack up and head out to that party we've all been looking forward to... OMG! Wait a minute! The car won't start. You better take the kids in the other car, while I stay here and try to figure out what's wrong out here in the garage with this other television showing football games in the background while I diligently work my fingers to the bone getting myself covered in grease as I wait until you pull away before I reconnect the distributor cap.

"Fix it when we get back. Now change the child seat over and let's go!"

Ask your wife if she really has so little respect for your time that she expects you to give up everything else in the world that you could be doing with that time in order to go to this child's party.

If she says anything other than, "I'm sorry, you are correct. I will go on my own", get a new wife.

Edited by wiegie

Got a few thoughts when it comes to this actually. 1) most of our childrens friends are our friends kids, so it usually turns out to be just the families hanging out together, with a little poker and drinking when the kids go to sleep. 2) With a 6 year old, a 2-1/2 year old, and twin 1-1/2 year olds we are gonna have many parties to throw in the years to come. While I wouldn't ever ask both parents (or even one for that matter) to come to the party, I would greatly appreciate it if they did stay rather than just dumping and running. Just my :D

Edited by Ziachild007

I'm not disgruntled at my wife over this. I could get out of it with some small level of flak. It just seems wierd, yet commonplace, for both partents to be invited to kids parties these days. I guess the tough thing in this situation is that my wife and the child's mom are pretty good friends, we've all hung out together a time or two, but I wouldn't consider them my close friends.

In the past I have balked at similar parties for some of my son's preschool classmates where I had never even met the kid or parents and let my wife go since she knew one or both(I wouldn't have minded taking my son if she couldn't).

Personally I don't want 10 kids and 20 adults at my son's birthday party in January. Was just curious what other experiences people had.

Got a few thoughts when it comes to this actually. 1) most of our childrens friends are our friends kids, so it usually turns out to be just the families hanging out together, with a little poker and drinking when the kids go to sleep. 2) With a 6 year old, a 2-1/2 year old, and twin 1-1/2 year olds we are gonna have many parties to throw in the years to come. While I wouldn't ever ask both parents (or even one for that matter) to come to the party, I would greatly appreciate it if they did stay rather than just dumping and running. Just my :D

I agree with your last sentiment, at least while the kids are younger (maybe up until 8 or so?) - it is courteous for the parent to stick around and help, or at least get the lay of the land before dumping and running (i.e., how many other parnets are staying, do they have enough help, etc.).

But that's a whole different animal from what Atlanta Cracker is asking here - this notion of inviting both parents (and presumably siblings too if applicable) to the little monster's birthday party is a new one on me too, unless it's close family friends.

I think you have a legitimate gripe there AC...and I also think you're screwed. Have a nice Saturday. Maybe you get lucky and they have Florida State/Alabama on TV. Just be happy it's not a build-a-bear party.

It's not, is it?

Edited by Easy n Dirty

Maybe you get lucky and they have Florida State/Alabama on TV. Just be happy it's not a build-a-bear party.

It's not, is it?

Luckily it is at their house. Presumably there may even be some beer there or I could at least bring a few of my own. Certainly if the TV isn't on I'll be outta there pretty quick. It's more the inconvenience in this case and the potential for long term repeated inconvenience and potentially worse circumstances that concerns me.

Build-A-Bear - Thank God no! (sorry Keg)

I get invited to the birthday parties all the time, but, as it is mostly family friends, the guys hang out, BBQ, drink, etc., the mom's do their thing, and the kids play. We've got our sons third birthday in a week and a half. He's gonna celebrate with the son of friends of ours whose birthday is the week after. Basically we are inviting our families and a few family friends with kids the same age. Most of them are the good friends my wife has made from her mom's cku that she is a part of, so these families all have kids the same age.

Actually, now that you mention it, I am going to a kids birthday party this Saturday.... maybe I should come up with an emergency as well.

yeah, if it's some kid or one of my wife's friends then there is a chance I'm not going but we both go to all the relative parties when we are able too. Heck we don't get invited to too many parties that we know that aren't relatives. The kids do get the invites for the most part and we drop them off as you stated.

I guess the question is should they be inviting people that are casual friends to come to their kids party? I might skip it unless there is something in it for me, solid food, nice TV for football viewing, etc...

I guess I just can't see trusting someone else to watch my 3-year old in a sea of 3-year olds at a party like that. Maybe when they are a bit older I could see the dropping them off at the party.

I agree with that 100%. I have no problem with one of us going but my wife's friend specifically asked if I was coming too. It won't be all that bad but it certainly wouldn't be how I'd plan a Saturday. Maybe everyone should just be more careful about when they have their kids so that football season isn't impacted.

About once a month I get emails from my friends to join them for their kids' birthday parties. It's always the same group of people and it's always at Chuck E Cheese. :D

I steadfastly refuse to attend any event at this schithole. If my wife wants to take the boys, fine. This is one area in which I do not compromise.

My wife and I generally just take turns going. For our own kids, I prefer at least one parent to hang out and look after their child but don't expect both.

+1

I don't do Chuck E Cheese either. For my son, we are doing a party at one of those bounce house places (they must be gold mines, as all you need is to rent out a warehouse space, buy 3 or 4 of those bounce house things and the blowers, pay your insurance, hire some minimum wage high schoolers and rake in the cash). This place has two rooms with the bounce houses in them. We get one room for an hour privately. THen 45 minutes in a party room for food (we provide the food). Then an hour in the other room privately. Total cost is like $250 or so and that covers entry for up to 10 families I think it was 9at least, this is how my wife described it to me, I said whatever so I am probably gonna be out a lot more than that)

I agree with that 100%. I have no problem with one of us going but my wife's friend specifically asked if I was coming too. It won't be all that bad but it certainly wouldn't be how I'd plan a Saturday. Maybe everyone should just be more careful about when they have their kids so that football season isn't impacted.

Very true. As mentioned above, my wife is in a Mom's Club. Each summer they do a Family Picnic. No big deal as I get along with the dad's that I know there. The problem is that last year they held it on the Sunday of week 2 of football season. Well, I and several other dad's complained about this to our wives, and many dad's just didn't go. Logic would dictate pick a different date in subsequent years. So this year, they throw the picnic..... on the second Sunday of football season. So, of the fewer dad's there this year, most of us are huddling together with blackberries, etc. following the scores of the games. Supposedly it has been decided that next year it will either be held much earlier in the year (early August or so, we can give up early preseason games) or on a Saturday.

at the Cornelius's we refuse to be apart of the hugh birthday thing for kids.... we have parties for our boys but we dont have some elaborate thigy

No one can get past the bear traps to get to your tar paper shack anyway... :D

Seriously AC, you don't know the rugrat or its parents? Cut the hose to the washing machine or something. Something you have to take care of right away...

Things went downhill last night when I got further details on the party.

No beer, no tv's and it's a "Princess Party" :D

Edit to add: My wife didn't think it was very funny when I asked her how the princess expected to find a prince without tv's or beer. :D

Edited by Atlanta Cracker

Things went downhill last night when I got further details on the party.

No beer, no tv's and it's a "Princess Party" :D

Edit to add: My wife didn't think it was very funny when I asked her how the princess expected to find a prince without tv's or beer. :D

Oh c'mon! Seriously AC, just don't go. Nobody but your wife will know or care either way.