[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Assuming the Vikings...

alexgaddis

assuming Chilly didn't screw that up as well

Is Chilly making the personnel moves in Viking-land?

As a Packer fan I've learned a thing or many about bad personnel over the years, and your personnel at QB and WR seem to be the big problem there.

Is Chilly's coaching a bigger issue than that? Is he supposed to make Tarvarious Jackson and Kelly "roll my eyes" Holcomb better than they are?

I know he's frosty with the media..uh.. and with players, but he doesn't seem like the only problem to me.

The biggest...and I mean biggest...thing they need to do is get rid of that fat tub of goo at left tackle. Until that happens, doesnt matter who the coach is, or who the QB is. Only thing that matters is whoever the QB is, he's going to keep getting killed until that fatass Mckinnie is replaced!!!!!!!

I bet Philly would trade Justice straight up for McKinnie right now...:D

The biggest...and I mean biggest...thing they need to do is get rid of that fat tub of goo at left tackle. Until that happens, doesnt matter who the coach is, or who the QB is. Only thing that matters is whoever the QB is, he's going to keep getting killed until that fatass Mckinnie is replaced!!!!!!!

I thought he was ill on Sunday?

McKinney was very sick on Sunday with the stomach flu. He was coming off the field after every offensive series and during TV timouts to puke in a trash can (righ in front of our seats BTW :D

The Vikings were running the ball, the O'line was giving Holcomb time ( he missed several open receivers or forced throws in tight coverage.

Yes we are weak at receiver and QB, however Childress decided TJax was his man and therefore did not go after Garcia this off season. FYI the Vikings are still under the salary cap and will be well under next year.

Personally I do not see games on the schedule that allows them to win 5 more games unless TJax starts completing some passs or AD is allowed to play the whole game.

@ Chicago Loss

@ Dallas Loss

VS Philly Loss

VS San Diego Loss

@GB Loss

vs Oakland Win

@ NYGiants Loss

vs Detroit Loss

@SF Win

VS Bears Loss

VS Wash Loss

@ Denver Loss

Possibly split with the Bears/Lions/Pakcers but I doubt it. Only giving wins over Oakland and SF because I they do not pass well and the Viking can stop the run! I see a 3 to 5 win season here and that should mean Childress is gone! Ziggy should be o the phone with Cower right now. It would give an instant shot in th arm to the stadium drive!!!

McKinney was very sick on Sunday with the stomach flu. He was coming off the field after every offensive series and during TV timouts to puke in a trash can (righ in front of our seats BTW :D

I think that's the thing that amazes me about players. When I've got the flu, I'm reduced to a pathetic little schmuck that can do little more than shuffle from the couch to the toilet. We expect these guys to be out there battling unless there's a bone sticking through their leg. Imagine, however, being completely wasted with the flu and having to play tackle in the NFL. That would be hell.

I think that's the thing that amazes me about players. When I've got the flu, I'm reduced to a pathetic little schmuck that can do little more than shuffle from the couch to the toilet. We expect these guys to be out there battling unless there's a bone sticking through their leg. Imagine, however, being completely wasted with the flu and having to play tackle in the NFL. That would be hell.

Exactly. I don't see McKinnie's position as a glaring need for the Vikes at this point.

Couple of things... Childress obviously doesn't have complete control over personnel decisions... but he does have at least 1/3 of the power to make those decisions and probably has the most informed and influential voice of those 3 since it is his grand plan that is being implemented. He must be accountable for the level of talent on this team right now... including the glaring weaknesses at QB and to a lesser degree at WR.

Another thing is that I think that Childress is also much more responsible for the Vikings O-Line woes than people realize. I think that the biggest question right now is that since everyone seems to believe that there is pro-bowl caliber individual talent on that line, how much of the protection trouble (both this season and all of last season) can be attributed to Childress' zone blocking scheme? That was new to the Vikings with his arrival.

It seems to me that McKinney and Birk were much more successful before being asked to try to execute a zone scheme. And I don't know what Seattle runs, but if I remember correctly Steve Hutchinson was not familiar with the zone scheme coming in here either.

Now I'm a die-hard fan and I'm not quick to run coaches out of town, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this cast of all-stars on the Minnesota line could be 1000 times better if the coach had not tried to force these round pegs into his zone scheme square holes. I think that this too falls directly on Childress' shoulders.

Huh...I had no idea they were zone blocking this season...was it zone blocking last season too?

:D

Yep... Childress implemented the zone blocking scheme last season, and is still sticking with it this season, despite all evidence that it is failing miserably. Some teams can execute it to perfection... but these guys just have never gotten the hang of it. Its a $100+ Million dollar line with a ton of individual talent. Just think about how good they could be if they had traditional blocking assignments. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they would still come up short... but I think they just need to be allowed to play to their strengths instead of trying (and failing) to execute on an idea just because Childress thinks it is a superior plan.

Yep... Childress implemented the zone blocking scheme last season, and is still sticking with it this season, despite all evidence that it is failing miserably. Some teams can execute it to perfection... but these guys just have never gotten the hang of it. Its a $100+ Million dollar line with a ton of individual talent. Just think about how good they could be if they had traditional blocking assignments. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they would still come up short... but I think they just need to be allowed to play to their strengths instead of trying (and failing) to execute on an idea just because Childress thinks it is a superior plan.

But, isn't the running game working? The zone blocking is only for the running game right?

According to nfl.com, they currently have the 7th most rushing yards this season on the 10th most attempts. That's pretty good. I know it's AP (why is everyone calling him AD btw?), but you've gotta call them a good rushing team this year so far. Tied for 4th on average per rush.

Last year they were 16th most on 17th most attempts over the whole season.

Improvement?

If we get a top three pick, I hope they draft a QB....Go back and count how many starting QB's the Vikings had since 1990. I think its about 15. We haven't had stability at QB since Kramer and Tarkenton.

Just like the rest of the NFC North... except for us of course.

:D

There was a lot of speculation last season that he was in way over his head as a HC.

I dunno, his gameplan to shut down AD worked pretty well. Maybe he has a future as a defensive coordinator?

I think they need to hire or contract some offensive help from some gurus or something because the play calling is pretty bad.

I don't think the play calling is bad at all. Its the execution. Everybody bitched last year because they were always throwing those 3 yard dumps to the RB or TE. They are throwing it downfield more than last year and I think they haven't connected on a pass over 25 yards yet. They are all young and I don't think bringing in somebody to call plays won't help when they can't execute them.