[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis Has Mild Knee Sprain

BiggieFries

Clinton Portis suffered a mild right knee sprain and bruise in the first quarter of the Week 3 loss to the Giants.

It was previously reported that Portis was experiencing tendinits, an ailment that kept him out much of training camp. The injury is not believed to be the reason he was on the sideline as the Redskins drove for a potential tying score. The Redskins head trainer expects Portis on the field for Week 5.

Is it time to bump up the Portis/Betts thread yet?

Is that the one in which people were coming out of the woodwork to say how clever they were to draft the underrated Portis and to avoid drafting the overrated Betts?

Is that the one in which people were coming out of the woodwork to say how clever they were to draft the underrated Portis and to avoid drafting the overrated Betts?

That would be the one - the one that the Portis proponents already bumped once to thump their chests despite it being so early in the season.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Isnt he expected to start this week? If so, who cares... He will get the bulk of the carries. As long as the injury from last year isnt bothering him right now, this injury is irrelevant. It is a grade 1 sprain from what I read somewhere, and isnt expected to keep him from playing at all.

Well, I can pull up Portis and Betts numbers this year, as that is all we have to go off of so far...

Me and the Portis fan club-1 You guys-0

:D

That's cool. If I were you and had put myself in your position, I'd be taking the opportunity to boast & brag too while the opportunity avails itself. Portis' history so far shows that the opportunity is fleeting at best.

Just remember that you may reap what you sow.

That's cool. If I were you and had put myself in your position, I'd be taking the opportunity to boast & brag too while the opportunity avails itself. Portis' history so far shows that the opportunity is fleeting at best.

Just remember that you may reap what you sow.

I'm well aware of the risk that is involved with Portis... I think he'll be fine and play an entire 16 game season this year... Call it intuition, insanity, or momentum of the bandwagon that I'm driving.

Betts was overrated this year as a BACKUP RB.

Portis played in 7 full games with a shoulder that needed surgery and averaged a TD & 80-90 total yds per game. And it wasn't until he broke his hand, not the shoulder, that he missed the rest of the season thus opening the door for Betts. It sounds, just like the scary tendinitis in the preseason, that this isn't so severe as to keep him out. Just like the scary tendinitis in the preseason, it sounds like they're taking a cautious approach with their STARTER due to the bye week.

Betts was the backup in the offseason, TC, and before everyone's FF draft... despite what everyone wanted to believe about Portis, Betts' performance last season, and the big-money/gotta-start-him-now contract the Skins gave him.

Betts remains the backup... and for good reason judging from weeks 1-3 AND all the other games that Portis has played or started.

Only a matter of time before Portis is done for the season and Betts takes over just like he did last season. The guys, like me, that drafted Betts are the true "sharks".

Sharks? Only if Portis is done for the season real quick like. Betts was routinely going a round or two after Portis and we are nearing the 1/2 way point of the FF regular season. Betts was way overvalued, thus far.

Most leagues I'm in play 14 weeks regular season. WCOFF goes 11 weeks.

Half way through the regular season? Sure. I think about guys that might be useful to me to win a championship, not just float me into the playoffs.

And Betts is a guy to hold onto for this exact reason. Betts has proven himself capable when handed the reigns full time and with injuries cropping up for Portis in week 5 I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that he will miss some time over the course of a 17 week NFL season. He may not have much value now but he is someone to stash for down the line. If Portis is running fine by week 10, 11, or 12 and shows no sign of wear and tear then I'll drop Betts. Otherwise, Betts is just one Portis ding away for pushing some fantasy teams over the top this year if given the opportunity. Oh wait, the injuries may in fact be minor but you cannot deny that Portis is already accumulating dings, no matter what the severity.

I'm also of the mind that acquiring backups for situations that seem favorable this year is the way to go considering the amount of injuries we've been seeing. WAS has a young, inexperienced D. An average defense and a solid stable of receivers. The result is a power run game that controls the clock and knowcks you in the mouth late in the game. WAS could make some noise this year if they continue improvement at the QB position.

Edited by Gros Membres!

Half way through the regular season? Sure. I think about guys that might be useful to me to win a championship, not just loat me into the playoffs.

Well ,of course and I'm not denying Portis's injury history. We drafted Portis in the 4th round at WCOFF and Betts went in the sixth, while we were picking up our 3rd WR in Santonio Holmes. Can the Portis pick come back to bite us? Sure, but you basically have to be the total point winner or record winner after 11 weeks to win money and advance to the big money rounds. There are already some RBs that are filling in for injured starters, who were picked way later than Betts. So far, Betts was waaay overvalued this year. Granted that is subject to change on any given play, but Betts is becoming more overvalued in every game where he only gets 20-25% of the carries.

Half way through the regular season? Sure. I think about guys that might be useful to me to win a championship, not just loat me into the playoffs.

I agree 100% with this if that is what you drafted him for (I still think a 6th round pick was high for a backup).

Betts was being touted as being equal in production to Portis based on the assumption that both RBs would provide the same FF value in a 50:50 split. Well that hasn't happened b/c Portis is, and remains, the starter and Betts is the backup.

To any owners that took Betts thinking they were getting anything from him out of the gate, they were misled by the Betts noise (HUGE contract, he has to play a significant role, look what he did last year, it's probably at least a 50:50 share, he'll probably start outright until Portis' tendinitis is better etc.).

I agree 100% with this if that is what you drafted him for (I still think a 6th round pick was high for a backup).

Betts was being touted as being equal in production to Portis based on the assumption that both RBs would provide the same FF value in a 50:50 split. Well that hasn't happened b/c Portis is, and remains, the starter and Betts is the backup.

To any owners that took Betts thinking they were getting anything from him out of the gate, they were misled by the Betts noise (HUGE contract, he has to play a significant role, look what he did last year, it's probably at least a 50:50 share, he'll probably start outright until Portis' tendinitis is better etc.).

Yep. That's why I drafted him. I did the same thing with LJ the year he overtook Priest but I think I may have missed on this situation considering Portis' injury history reads much worse than it actually is and in retrospect I could have shored up my TE spot with a difference maker in the 6th (or another starter) rather than filling out my bench with a guy who may never crack my starting lineup. I continue to hold him hoping that my gut instinct on this situation back in pre-season may pay off.

Only a matter of time before Portis is done for the season and Betts takes over just like he did last season. The guys, like me, that drafted Betts are the true "sharks".

We're going to have to revisit this post in a few months...

I did? I don't think so.

Maybe you can show me what you're talking about.

Blah, the majority of the people on the boards were saying it... I don't care to get in a pissing match, nor do I care to use the search function.