[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Tom Brady the best QB ever?

baffleck

I'm as big a Peyton fan as anyone, but my brain tells me that Favre will be recognized by most intelligent football fans (that excludes ESPN analysts and Peter King) as the best ever for the following reasons...

- He'll own most of the major passing records (TDs, yds, attempts, completions) by the time he retires (except for QB rating). And while Peyton might eventually break his yds and attempts records, he probably won't break his TD passes record.

- His record 3 League MVPs will probably not be broken.

- He was easily the best QB in the league for most of his prime.

- He has the token "I played on a championship team" card in his pocket, which some mistakenly believe is necessary for this title.

- His streak of games started is as impressive as Cal Ripken's.

- He's still productive in his late 30's.

- He doesn't play on a polarizing team, has a very human Joe Six-pack personality/lifestyle that most people can relate to and, most importantly, plays the game with a level of enthusiasm and emotion that is very endearing. He's easily the most "likable" person on the list.

Opinions.......

We all got 'em.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just in: Brady also cheats...

Brady the latest Patriot to break the rulesWednesday, Oct 17, 2007 10:20 am EDT

When it comes to the NFL's uniform police, no one is above the law. The Boston Globe reported New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has been fined for not having his chin strap properly buckled.

Reiss reports that Brady's agent, Don Yee, confirmed the fine but would not say how much Brady was fined or which game the violation occurred in.

This isn't the first such fine for the Patriots this season; defensive lineman Ty Warren was fined $7,500 for not having his chin strap buckled in a Sept. 23 game against the Bills. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said teams were notified before the season and reminded multiple times that the league would be cracking down on unbuckled chin straps as an effort to prevent concussions.

Tom Brady isnt Joe Montana but hes damn close and rapidly approaching..I think though when all is said and done Manning will go down as the best qb in history

If Brady plays the exact same amount of games as Favre does my gut tells me he will shatter all those records except interception record he holds.

Farve has so many years being a pro of course he is going to break records because hes good and has the time invested into it.

Favre is great. He has a lot of numbers, and I think he belongs in the discussion. His success also need to be looked at in terms of his failures, in particular the number of INTs he's thrown and probably more importantly his TD/INT ratio. That's where he gets hurt when looking at numbers.

His td/int ratio is pretty good - 1.5:1. Broken down over a season, that's about 24 tds, 16 ints. Marino was 1.66:1. Elway was 1.32:1. Aikman was 1.15:1.

Manning, Young, and Montana are all an insane 2+:1.

Edited by Chavez

the Dolphins did not have the same opportunity to surround Marino with talent that the Colts had with Manning in the age of Salary Cap and Free Agency.

List me the Colts' big stud artichoke free agency signings in the time of Manning.

Maybe I'm missing somebody, but Polian built them through the draft. The Niners had no problem maintaining excellence pre-FA, nor did the Raiders or Cowboys.

The reason the Dolphins couldn't rebuild with Marino there was because whoever was picking their players sucked.

STEVE YOUNG should be in the discussion as well. He did not have the benefit of playing all of his prime. Didn't become the a starter until 1991. He was out of the league by 1999 after than crushing hit against the Cardinals. His numbers were amazing. The most impressive thing about Young was that he was the most difficult to game plan against. What a nightmare for defenses. In 1998 he threw for 4170 yards for 36 tds-12 ints and 454 yards rushing for another 6 tds. He may not be in the discussion because he wasn't the typical drop back QB.

He was the most complete do it all QB that ever played the game.

STEVE YOUNG should be in the discussion as well. He did not have the benefit of playing all of his prime. Didn't become the a starter until 1991. He was out of the league by 1999 after than crushing hit against the Cardinals. His numbers were amazing. The most impressive thing about Young was that he was the most difficult to game plan against. What a nightmare for defenses. In 1998 he threw for 4170 yards for 36 tds-12 ints and 454 yards rushing for another 6 tds. He may not be in the discussion because he wasn't the typical drop back QB.

He was the most complete do it all QB that ever played the game.

:D

Do you rate him above or below Montana?

That is actually a great question and of much debate amongst SF fans, at least that I know of. I am a 3rd Generation SF fan and my father / uncle and grandfather, etc would all say Montana was without question better than Young, I have always contended that Young may have been a better QB than Montana at least in terms of athletic ability. Joe did have some kind of "X" factor though that allowed him to not only have legendary field awarness but also an ability to truly will a team to victory. I guess I would say they are both great QB's but IMO totally different players, I would have to rate Montana above Young for the simple fact that he came first and I think Young was even better since he played under Montana.

That is actually a great question and of much debate amongst SF fans, at least that I know of. I am a 3rd Generation SF fan and my father / uncle and grandfather, etc would all say Montana was without question better than Young, I have always contended that Young may have been a better QB than Montana at least in terms of athletic ability. Joe did have some kind of "X" factor though that allowed him to not only have legendary field awarness but also an ability to truly will a team to victory. I guess I would say they are both great QB's but IMO totally different players, I would have to rate Montana above Young for the simple fact that he came first and I think Young was even better since he played under Montana.

joe was part of the wco experiment walsh learned in cin. joe made things happen with less talent (at beginning and end of his career). young benefited from joe's tutaledge and being able to watch for quite a few years. young inhereted the 9er machine at it's peak, with the most talent...... young, even on top of his game made a lot of mistakes joe didn't (i specifically think about the rivalry in the early 90's with the boys). young need those defensive merenaries to finally get past them. while i still have a tremendous amount of respect for young and how he developed... i would still place him somewhere between 7 and 12.

Who would you rate higher? Brady or Aikman?

Brady. He won with less talent around him on offense, even in the parity error of pro football. This pats team is the only one that could compete with any of those Dallas teams.

BTW, you should adjust your sigline. Belicheat is hardly the greatest to ever coach the game. That comment alone destroys your credability. If Belicheat was the best, he wouldnt have had to cheat for years to win, and he would have won in Cleveland. Belicheat got something very very few NFL teams have. A franchise QB, that can carry a team. IF the Pats scouting department didnt take a chance on a kid for Michigan, in the 6th round of that draft, the record books would look completely different.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Brady. He won with less talent around him on offense, even in the parity error of pro football. This pats team is the only one that could compete with any of those Dallas teams.

BTW, you should adjust your sigline. Belicheat is hardly the greatest to ever coach the game. That comment alone destroys your credability. If Belicheat was the best, he wouldnt have had to cheat for years to win, and he would have won in Cleveland. Belicheat got something very very few NFL teams have. A franchise QB, that can carry a team. IF the Pats scouting department didnt take a chance on a kid for Michigan, in the 6th round of that draft, the record books would look completely different.

He didn't win anything, his kicker did :D And when it is all said and done Brady won't even be mentioned in the top 10 greatest QB's of all time, maybe he makes top 15, and it is not Brady that carries that team it is that rotten Belichick and the deal he signed with the devil :D

Edited by SF409ers