[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Direct snap through the QB's legs...

Hugh-mongus

You'll all get to see it on ESPN, or wherever you get your highlights. Most patehtic rule I ever heard, but it is indeed a rule.

Essentially states:

If the QB is under center, and the ball is inadvertantly snapped without the QB touching it, it is ruled a false start by the center.

In this case, the ball was snapped through Greiese's legs, rolled about 20 yards, picked up by an Eagle defender, and tackled on the Bears 8 yard line. Instead of 1st-down, Eagles ball on the Bears 8 yard line, the Bears retained possession at their own 45, and drove to kick the go-ahead FG.

Cost the Eagles the game....basically a 6-10 point swing. :D

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

I don't think anybody gets it:

Official: Muffed snap is a false start

Philly.com Staff Report

On first down with the score tied, 9-9 in the fourth quarter of the Eagles' 16-12 loss to the Chicago Bears on Sunday, the ball went sailing through Bears quarterback Brian Griese's legs on a snap.

Sean Considine, who was blitzing, scooped up the ball with a clear path to the end zone. But the play was whistled dead, and a false-start penalty was ruled against the Bears.

This is the explanation of the rule provided by the Eagles media relations department after consulting with Art McNalley, NFL Supervisor of Officiating:

Q: Can you clarify the false start penalty on the snap that wasn't handled by Bears quarterback Brian Griese?

A: "If the ball is snapped in between the quarterback's legs, he has to be the one to get the ball. Under these circumstances, it has to be ruled a false start.

If he's in shotgun and the pass is snapped over his head, clean play, pick it up, go ahead and go the other way, everything's fine. The fact that he's taking the snap direct from the center, goes through his legs, he's got to kill it right away, false start."

Q: What is the intent of the rule?

A: "I don't know what the intent of the rule is, but the ball has to be taken by the quarterback. If he doesn't handle the snap, then it's got to be a false start."

Q: If the quarterback makes contact with the ball, is it then ruled a fumble or is it still a false start?

A: "All I know is if the quarterback doesn't handle the snap, it's a false start."

Q: So once the quarterback has possession, he can lose it, but the key point is that he never handled the snap?

A: "That would be a fumble. Once he has possession."

Q: Is this a new rule or new interpretation?

A: "No, not at all."

Edited by chester

A: "I don't know what the intent of the rule is, but the ball has to be taken by the quarterback. If he doesn't handle the snap, then it's got to be a false start."

I guess we'd all like to know this......

In the meantime, it is quite obvious that it is by far the best rule in the entire rulebook. :D

so then how come when a QB takes a snap and fumbles it while pulling away(never having gained true possession) do they always call those fumbles :D

i mean we have seen it plenty of times that the QB is pulling up and the ball isnt in his hands but does hit is hands and falls to the ground and its called a fumble

so then how come when a QB takes a snap and fumbles it while pulling away(never having gained true possession) do they always call those fumbles :D

i mean we have seen it plenty of times that the QB is pulling up and the ball isnt in his hands but does hit is hands and falls to the ground and its called a fumble

I believe this has to do with deception before the ball is snapped, and ranks right there with 12 men in the huddle (which is also a penalty). It also is probably a rule to protect the QB, since allowing direct snaps would put the QB at risk, since he may relax a bit knowing he isn't involved in the play, but he's still a legit target for D players because of the deception being put forth by the offense. ON a fumble by the QB there is no intended deception - he's trying to make a play on the ball even though it ended up a fumble.

It's an esoteric rule, but it makes some sense. It's also related to the fumblerooski, which is illegal at the NFL level.

Edited by Bronco Billy

+1

This is exacltly the point they were discussing on ESPN last night. Berman and Jackson both felt the Eagles were jobbed by a terrible interpretation of this rule.

How in the world is it a fumble when the QB doesn't handle the snap cleanly (i.e the snap hits his hands when he'd not expecting it and the ball bounces away), but a false start if the ball glances off his leg instead (which is what happened yesterday)???

It's an esoteric rule, but it makes some sense. It's also related to the fumblerooski, which is illegal at the NFL level.

The NCAA has since outlawed it. But I believe it is still legal in the NFL, but it is never used since the defenses in the NFL are too fast for it to work.

:D

Jerry, I was wondering why the "fumblerooski" is an illegal play according to NFL rules. I found a copy of the NFL rulebook online, but can't seem to find anything within it that would make this play illegal. Can you explain why this play was made illegal, and what part of the rulebook covers this? Thanks! --Brian Green, Downers Grove, Ill.

As far as I am concerned, the "fumblerooski" play is legal, as long as the quarterback puts the ball down on the ground behind him. Any player on the offensive team, including linemen, can pick the ball up and advance. The only thing that would make this play illegal under NFL rules if if the quarterback puts the ball down in front of himself, thus creating an intentional fumble forward, which would then be ruled an incomplete forward pass. I know that this sounds strange, but that's the rule.

How in the world is it a fumble when the QB doesn't handle the snap cleanly (i.e the snap hits his hands when he'd not expecting it and the ball bounces away), but a false start if the ball glances off his leg instead (which is what happened yesterday)???

w what the intent of the rule is, but the ball has to be taken by the quarterback. If he doesn't handle the snap, then it's got to be a false start." [/i]

Later, associate supervisor of officials Art McNally offered a clarification of the rule.

"If the ball is snapped in between the quarterback's legs, he has to be the one to get the ball. Under these circumstances, it has to be ruled a false start," McNally said. "If he's in shotgun and the pass is snapped over his head, clean play, pick it up, go ahead and go the other way, everything's fine. The fact that he's taking the snap direct from the center, goes through his legs, he's got to kill it right away, false start.

"If he doesn't handle the snap, then it's got to be a false start."

I am pretty sure the ball did not toch Griese's leg, it just went right through him. If he touches it, then it is a fumble. That is in the rulebook: A muffed hand-to-hand snap from center is treated as a fumble.