[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SD game this week?

Patriots

They might play it in Arizona, like when they were another round of bad fires in that area in 2003. The game won't be cancelled, so I would not put and FF ramifications on it.

I heard their is a bike show at the AZ stadium from Fri through Sunday.

Per sportingnews.com:

Oct. 24, 12:03 p.m. Chargers Defense

The San Diego Union-Tribune the Chargers expect to hear today from Mayor Jerry Sanders whether they can play their scheduled game against the Houston Texans in Qualcomm Stadium, and they are narrowing down contingencies for playing elsewhere.

Fantasy Source spin: We are glad the Chargers' players are safe. This obviously affects San Diego's preparation this week, and the possibility of the game being canceled because of the wildfires does exist.

Edited by Rileyrott

I think the only 2 options are going to be at Reliant or at Texas stadium. I don't really see it at Reliant since it would change give Houston home field advantage. If this thing is played in Texas stadium, how do ticket sales work? Would they charge normal face value for a ticket, or would everything be discounted?

When the game was at Arizona, they let fans in for free. They could do something like that or charge a smaller ticket price and have proceeds go to charity.

And I believe the NFL will do anything possible to be sure that game is played, even moving the game day to Monday if needed. (I don't think Friday is feasible under these circumstances as it would be moved to a different site and some prep time is necessary.)

Edited by Big John

I guess the tickets won't be free according to Goodell.

Texas Stadium could be first option for relocating game

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA -- The National Football League is strongly considering moving the San Diego-Houston game to Texas Stadium because of the wildfires burning in San Diego County.

The game would be played Sunday. The Cowboys have a bye this week.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has not made a definite decision. The NFL is waiting on San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders’ decision as to whether the game will or will not be played in San Diego. An official announcement might come later today or Thursday.

If the NFL makes a decision today to relocate, the game will likely be played at Texas Stadium on Sunday. If the decision is pushed back until Thursday, Reliant Stadium remains an option. There is also a slight chance that the game will stay in San Diego and be moved to Monday or played in Phoenix, where the Arizona Cardinals also have a bye.

Goodell said if the game is played at Texas Stadium, tickets will be sold. It will not be free.

However, the focus remains on the wildfires.

“In these types of situations, the focus isn’t on that (game),” San Diego president Dean Spanos said. “We’ve had 40 families affected. The concern is about them. That’s our priority right now.”

Goodell added, “We’re in a national disaster. We’ve got to think about what this community is going through right now.”

The Chargers had to move a home game to Tempe, Ariz., four years ago because of wildfires. After Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the New Orleans Saints were forced to move a home game against the Giants to Giants Stadium.

“I think it’s going to be a real logistical challenge (if the game is moved.). We understand why the decision is being deferred,” Texans owner Bob McNair said. “It could be tomorrow before we know for sure.”

I can't find anything on that. Only that he was evacuated because of his home's proximity to the fire.

That's not saying much though, most the team has been evacuated from their houses, along with a good portion of everyone else in San Diego.

If the area people are in isn't mandatory evacuation, it's voluntary, which means they highly recommend you leave before they make you.

LeDanian Tomlinson and several other San Diego Chargers were among the county residents evacuated from their homes. While many of the displaced found shelter in school gymnasiums converted into Red Cross shelters, the Chargers headed to Arizona, leaving the site of next Sunday's home game against the Houston Texans uncertain.

Found this on Yahoo News.

When the game was at Arizona, they let fans in for free. They could do something like that or charge a smaller ticket price and have proceeds go to charity.

And I believe the NFL will do anything possible to be sure that game is played, even moving the game day to Monday if needed. (I don't think Friday is feasible under these circumstances as it would be moved to a different site and some prep time is necessary.)

They do not move games to Fridays because of high school football.

That San Diego / Miami game a few years back at Sun Devil Stadium, where they held collection buckets for donations to the wildfire victims instead of charging for tickets ... terrible idea.

I didn't go because it was free admission. There's no faster way to get thousands of idiots in one place than to hold a free event that would normally cost someone an average of $40 to attend.

The donation take on the game was embarrassing too if memory serves correctly, cuz when you say free ... what you get is "cheap".

I'll be there to watch my Devils take on Cal on Saturday night, and while I doubt they are even considering playing the Chargers game there on Sunday, I would be happy to go ... if they charged admission!

:D

Update as of this morning.

If I had to make a guess, I would say the game will be played in San Diego on Monday night. You know, much like Katrina, that the city of San Diego can use a distraction like this. The Chargers themselves want to play in San Diego for the people there as well.

It cannot be played in Sun devil stadium because there is no HD television for instant replay. This is a "must" in terms of venues that host NFL games.

Dallas is the only option outside of San Diego. The fans drawn to that game/venue would be more neutral than in Houston. LT is from Waco, and Phillips was the DC last year in SD (if that means anything :D ) so maybe there would be some "home feel" for the Chargers considering the Texans are cross state rivals and the sympathy factor could play into the scenario.

if the game gets moved to Monday night (which i heard is a definite possibility) what time does it get played?

will they run it like opening Monday night and started it at 10 est or will they run the two games concurrently?

The stadium now has less than 500 people remaining and yes, they will be moved to the Del Mar race track by noon tommorrow. The Mayor has announced that the stadium would be ready for a Sunday game but they are waiting on the Chargers and the NFL to make a decision as to when they are going to play. Look for the final decision to come out tomorrow morning.

As far as I know, no Chrager players have lost their homes. LT for sure has not lost his home, he was just on the news talking about how blesseed he feels.

Hope this helps....

As of Friday morning, will post as soon as I know for sure!

Still looks like Monday night. Even if it is ready by Sunday, hotel accomodations for the Texans still have to be worked out and Monday gives an extra day for rooms to empty and get cleaned.

Monday also gives an extra day for the air quality to get better as well. All the smoke that blew out to sea is getting blown back onshore now that the winds have changed. Everything smelled like campfire for months after the last fire four year ago. A good rain goes a long way to fix that, but it "never really rains in, California. Seems I've always heard that kind of talk before."

What I don't know is if it will be on TV or the Ticket (maybe the NFL channel?). I know that as a Charger fan (now living in the D.C. area) , I'll be bummed if they don't work that out. I'll make some calls this morning and try to find out for y'alls.

As of Friday morning, will post as soon as I know for sure!

Still looks like Monday night. Even if it is ready by Sunday, hotel accomodations for the Texans still have to be worked out and Monday gives an extra day for rooms to empty and get cleaned.

Monday also gives an extra day for the air quality to get better as well. All the smoke that blew out to sea is getting blown back onshore now that the winds have changed. Everything smelled like campfire for months after the last fire four year ago. A good rain goes a long way to fix that, but it "never really rains in, California. Seems I've always heard that kind of talk before."

What I don't know is if it will be on TV or the Ticket (maybe the NFL channel?). I know that as a Charger fan (now living in the D.C. area) , I'll be bummed if they don't work that out. I'll make some calls this morning and try to find out for y'alls.

Thanks McBoog. Not that anyone cares, but IMHO, moving the game to Monday night, in SD, is the best course of action for all.