[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I got no problem with Pats "running up the score"

LooGie

I haven't brought this up, because I really dont care. I refuse to even read the other threads about the Pats being classless for continuing to play football when it's 49-7 at the half.

Are they supposed to take a knee for the entire 2nd half? I really dont care.

God forbid a coach actually throw caution to the wind and allow his players to break some records. Remember all the times a RB has been within 20 yards of the all time team rushing record, or a td away from the TD record, or 1 yard away from the season rushing leader, and the coach sat them? BB is just giving Brady his dues, and if Brady gets a severed brainstem, oh well, that's NE's problem.

Also, one thing that has not been touched on, at all, not by any experts, analysts, homers or fanatics, is that New England has yet to put out any game film of their "2 minute drill" or "prevent defense" or anything other than TomBrady (little DMD action for ya) and a long bomb and A WHOLE LOTTA POINTS.

Good luck trying to write a gameplan that stops NE and the long bomb or just stopping Moss, Welker and Stallworth. And, if by some stroke of genius, someone figures it out, guess what? They have no idea how to plan for a New England team that rushes 35 times. Or is attempting to eat the clock and control time of possession. Why? because there is NO FILM of NE doing just that.

It's absolutely genius. It's perfect football. It's a thing of beauty, and it's one of the reasons why I get butterflies in my stomache when I think of NFL football. Bill Bellichik's coaching this year, is an artform. I'm incredibly envious and jealous of what he is doing. And I despise the man. call me quirky.

Now, I do have a problem with there being less than a minute left in the DAL game, and they coulda kneeled it out, but instead ran it in with 20 seconds left. Now, you gotta kick off, you got DAL pissed off and running full speed for 60 yards at your special teams players for no reason. That was classless, pointless and pretty much disgusting. :D I disagree with that, and dont see a point for it. That was running up the score and jeapordizing your players, your season, and your league wide respect.

Anything in the 59 minutes before that, is football. Get over it.

Now, I do have a problem with there being less than a minute left in the DAL game, and they coulda kneeled it out, but instead ran it in with 20 seconds left. Now, you gotta kick off, you got DAL pissed off and running full speed for 60 yards at your special teams players for no reason. That was classless, pointless and pretty much disgusting. :D I disagree with that, and dont see a point for it. That was running up the score and jeapordizing your players, your season, and your league wide respect.

Anything in the 59 minutes before that, is football. Get over it.

Just throwing a little fact check in here....Wade Phillips called a time out in the last 2 minutes which meant kneeling on the ball would have given possession back to the Cowboys. Maybe it's running up the score to run plays that will run out the clock, but the Dallas D let them score. They would not have even been running the plays if Phillips had not called the time out.

Just throwing a little fact check in here....Wade Phillips called a time out in the last 2 minutes which meant kneeling on the ball would have given possession back to the Cowboys. Maybe it's running up the score to run plays that will run out the clock, but the Dallas D let them score. They would not have even been running the plays if Phillips had not called the time out.

your point is valid. DAL should've stopped them, but that's not the point. Now if Wade called a time out whith less than 30 seconds left (which i don't think he did) then yah, run it in. salt that wound. make your point.

But inside of 2 minutes is not inside of 30 seconds. I might be wrong, and he very well may have called a time out, but i don't remember seeing that. What down did they score on? I dont remember them being able to get the ball back on turn overs either, so I think either way, the Pats ran it up, unneccessarily.

By all means, prove me wrong though, because i'm way to lazy to look all that stuff up.

When the artistic, absolute genius, gets his QB killed in a 38-0 route in the 4th quarter, how smart is that? There's a difference between running up the score and playing the game to the final gun. At 38-0, you can play the game at full speed with backups that need the work. Then go ahead and score 100, who cares? But when your franchise players are in there scoring points 44 and 51, then that's an ego problem that you're feeding where the risk far outweighs the reward.

Bellichick's coaching this year is an artform, but only up until he lets his ego get in the way. At that point, he just holds his breath, pulls the hood over his eyes and and hopes that everything goes OK (please don't get hurt...please don't get hurt...). Even the worst high school coach knows better than to leave the rest of his season to hope.

:D

your point is valid. DAL should've stopped them, but that's not the point. Now if Wade called a time out whith less than 30 seconds left (which i don't think he did) then yah, run it in. salt that wound. make your point.

But inside of 2 minutes is not inside of 30 seconds. I might be wrong, and he very well may have called a time out, but i don't remember seeing that. What down did they score on? I dont remember them being able to get the ball back on turn overs either, so I think either way, the Pats ran it up, unneccessarily.

By all means, prove me wrong though, because i'm way to lazy to look all that stuff up.

I saw the game, and heard BB talk about this situation on his radio show the day after the game.

He was running Kyle Ecklel in those last plays. Can any NFL defense stop the great Kyle Eckel?

Here's the play sequence...

1-10-DAL 20 (3:45) 33-K.Faulk right tackle to DAL 18 for 2 yards (93-A.Spencer).

2-8-DAL 18 (3:02) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to DAL 20 for -2 yards (35-J.Reeves).

Timeout #1 by NE at 02:13.

3-10-DAL 20 (2:13) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to DAL 9 for 11 yards (51-A.Ayodele).

Two-Minute Warning

1-9-DAL 9 (1:54) 38-K.Eckel right tackle to DAL 6 for 3 yards (96-M.Spears).

Timeout #3 by DAL at 01:48.

2-6-DAL 6 (1:43) 38-K.Eckel up the middle to DAL 5 for 1 yard (99-C.Canty).

3-5-DAL 5 (1:09) 38-K.Eckel left tackle to DAL 1 for 4 yards (31-R.Williams).

4-1-DAL 1 (:23) 38-K.Eckel right tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

3-S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-66-L.Paxton, Holder-6-C.Hanson.

That timeout made certain that Dallas would get the ball back. Phillips wanted to call it, so he got these results from the call.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I saw the game, and heard BB talk about this situation on his radio show the day after the game.

He was running Kyle Ecklel in those last plays. Can any NFL defense stop the great Kyle Eckel?

That timeout made certain that Dallas would get the ball back. Phillips wanted to call it, so he got these results from the call.

then i stand corrected. I coulda swore that they scored on 2nd down. Being 4th and 1, he had to run it and since DAL didn't stop him, they got what they deserved. kicking a FG at that time woulda been piling on the points, going for it is not. thanks for the info. :D

But like I said before i dont have problem with it, except in the instance i described, and you clowned me on, so I have no problems with what NE is doing, and the fact that there is no game film on anything but massive offense is pure beauty.

Will it come back to bight them? It Could, but with the way that o-line is playing and how quick Brady is on his release, i dont see him getting sacked that hard. And lets face it, Brady is really the only reason to make the point about fear of injury, and even then, the Pats could win with another QB in there.

If you believe the Pats are running up the score - wait until sunday at Indy. If they can score 100 points in that game they will after what happened in the championship game last year. They had a nice lead and it slipped by. That will not happen again this year!

If you believe the Pats are running up the score - wait until sunday at Indy. If they can score 100 points in that game they will after what happened in the championship game last year. They had a nice lead and it slipped by. That will not happen again this year!

in all seriousness, you're right. I would actually love to see a team that scored 100 points, and if they could do it against a team that was in the single digits, that would be even more awesome.

Well if you think they will run up the score this Sunday just wait until they play the JETS

Good luck trying to write a gameplan that stops NE and the long bomb or just stopping Moss, Welker and Stallworth. And, if by some stroke of genius, someone figures it out, guess what? They have no idea how to plan for a New England team that rushes 35 times. Or is attempting to eat the clock and control time of possession. Why? because there is NO FILM of NE doing just that.

It's absolutely genius. It's perfect football. It's a thing of beauty, and it's one of the reasons why I get butterflies in my stomache when I think of NFL football. Bill Bellichik's coaching this year, is an artform. I'm incredibly envious and jealous of what he is doing. And I despise the man. call me quirky.

This just shows how great NE offense is, but what people do not realize is that they are 4th in the league in rushing ATT/G (32.4) and only 14th in the league in passing ATT/G (34.1). it probably appears to be lopsided because of all the completion they make

It does look like Belichick is letting his pride dictate things this year. I personally believe that if the NFL hadn't caught him with his videotapes down, you could knock two touchdowns off of the score of each blowout this year.

The Dallas thing was legit; the Cowboys brought that on themselves by forcing the Pats to run their offense for four downs instead of kneeling on it. 70 yard bombs when you're up 38-0 and fake spike plays in the 2nd half of blowouts hoever, are getting close to the line.

I agree that these are the pros and if you're cashing a fat paycheck you've got to take your mediciine, but all it takes is one guy to get loose in the backfield for it all to come crashing down.

Randall Godfrey's quotes after the Redskins - Patriots game prove that there is an undercurrent of ill-will toward the Pats. Call it jealousy, pettiness, whatever; but it's there. The longer the Pats starters are on the field in blowouts, the more likely it is that someone decides they're not waiting for the postgame press conference to make their statement.

I think players' knees are sacred and no one is going low on Brady no matter what the score is, but it wouldn't shock me to see someone drive the top of their helmet right into Brady's chinstrap and scramble his brain. Tom Brady just runs the plays that Bill calls, but he's the one everyone will be gunning for. It just seems antagonistic and an unnecessary risk to the Golden Boy.

Edited by FordFairlane

This is all similar to what "old" baseball used to be.....if hitters crowded the plate, pitchers could throw the ball inside without fear of getting "warned" or thrown out. There will be teams who will be willing to take the personal foul/roughing the passer and go low and/or high on Brady to put him out. I agree that it may be high rather than low, but it will happen.

Tom Brady just runs the plays that Bill calls, but he's the one everyone will be gunning for.

Bill Belicheck does not call the offensive plays for New England.

EDIT : In fact most of the time when the offense is on the field you'll see him coaching the linebackers and he won't even pay attention to what is happening on the field.

Edited by SuperCharger

excellent post LooGie…except that last DAL paragraph…

all this ‘running-it-up’ stuff is complete bs…

a nice filter though…lets you see who knows anything about football… :D

everybody is making way too much of this…the reason for NE playing, shall we say, aggressively against WAS, and taking no prisoners is very simple…

NE 21 IND 3

NE 34 IND 38

remember? :D

then last week Miami scores 21 on them in the fourth quarter…bad timing for Gibbs…

bb was simply preparing the team for IND of course…you saw the chalkboard and bb coaching to the end…you saw Brady mad at himself despite the blowout…

the Patriots will not blow an 18 point lead this week…which means it could get ugly again and all you woosies should just switch the TV back to figure skating or the shopping channel… :wacko:

It does look like Belichick is letting his pride dictate things this year. I personally believe that if the NFL hadn't caught him with his videotapes down, you could knock two touchdowns off of the score of each blowout this year.

The Dallas thing was legit; the Cowboys brought that on themselves by forcing the Pats to run their offense for four downs instead of kneeling on it. 70 yard bombs when you're up 38-0 and fake spike plays in the 2nd half of blowouts hoever, are getting close to the line.

I agree that these are the pros and if you're cashing a fat paycheck you've got to take your mediciine, but all it takes is one guy to get loose in the backfield for it all to come crashing down.

Randall Godfrey's quotes after the Redskins - Patriots game prove that there is an undercurrent of ill-will toward the Pats. Call it jealousy, pettiness, whatever; but it's there. The longer the Pats starters are on the field in blowouts, the more likely it is that someone decides they're not waiting for the postgame press conference to make their statement.

I think players' knees are sacred and no one is going low on Brady no matter what the score is, but it wouldn't shock me to see someone drive the top of their helmet right into Brady's chinstrap and scramble his brain. Tom Brady just runs the plays that Bill calls, but he's the one everyone will be gunning for. It just seems antagonistic and an unnecessary risk to the Golden Boy.

The 70 yard bomb, was a 50 yard bomb, and it was in the 1st quarter. The fake spike was in the 2nd QUARTER, leading 17-0. Now, feel free to bash. But atleast get your story straight when you do it.

Though they beat my beloved Boyz and then the whole "running up the score" started in its aftermath, I think they are simply practicing converting on 4th down with their starters (a difficult thing to do w/any team) should it present itself in the future when it really counts.

excellent post LooGie…except that last DAL paragraph…

all this ‘running-it-up’ stuff is complete bs…

a nice filter though…lets you see who knows anything about football… :D

everybody is making way too much of this…the reason for NE playing, shall we say, aggressively against WAS, and taking no prisoners is very simple…

NE 21 IND 3

NE 34 IND 38

remember? :D

then last week Miami scores 21 on them in the fourth quarter…bad timing for Gibbs…

bb was simply preparing the team for IND of course…you saw the chalkboard and bb coaching to the end…you saw Brady mad at himself despite the blowout…

the Patriots will not blow an 18 point lead this week…which means it could get ugly again and all you woosies should just switch the TV back to figure skating or the shopping channel… :wacko:

But I remember the patriots ,one game at a time line.If they are finishing games running up the score to prepare for the Colts,than I guess that isnt so.

The 70 yard bomb, was a 50 yard bomb, and it was in the 1st quarter. The fake spike was in the 2nd QUARTER, leading 17-0. Now, feel free to bash. But atleast get your story straight when you do it.

Actually, I wasn't referencing a specific game in that part; more of an amalgamation of Washington, Dallas, and Miami.

the thing about it is...eckel is from the academy...and bill has a special appreciation for anyone who attended annapolis...he knows how hard they work...he gave this kid the story of his life...he can tell his kids and grandkids how he scored a td in dallas...might seem meaningless to some...but you know it meant something to BB

This just shows how great NE offense is, but what people do not realize is that they are 4th in the league in rushing ATT/G (32.4) and only 14th in the league in passing ATT/G (34.1). it probably appears to be lopsided because of all the completion they make

this is actually a lopsided stat. Patriots have the ball constantly, have long LONG drives and score every series almost, so naturally, their attempts are going to be high at anything, and the only reason their so low on the passing, is because of how long the ball is. Look at their average yards per pass attempt. It's the highest in the nfl history thus far.

an absolutely remarkable article on the pats and running up the score.

The situation that got everyone's panties in a bunch was this: New England was leading 38-0 with 11 minutes to play in the fourth quarter, and facing a 4th and 1 within easy field goal range at the Washington 7. But New England eschewed the easy field goal attempt -- in other words, they essentially took points off the board -- and responded with the most conservative play in sports: a QB dive up the middle.

New England got the first down, and proceeded to score another touchdown, on a short pass to Wes Welker. New England also converted a fourth down later in the game, on a pass from second-string QB Matt Cassel, a guy who's thrown about three passes in anger since high school, to Jabar Gaffney, a sixth-year journeyman receiver who has fewer TD catches in his career (9) than outside linebacker Mike Vrabel (10).

Much more at the link

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1797

edit: i'm going to add another snippet where they slam Young for his remarks, just in case you're too lazy to goto the link. they slam many others there.

STEVE YOUNG's SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET

The complaint: Young said on ESPN Monday that New England’s big victories are tarnishing its image. Apparently, he pines for the days when the Patriots were a “lucky” team manned by a bunch of “overachievers” who squeaked out close wins. He also implied some sort of psychoses on behalf of Bill Belichick this year.

New England’s big margins of victory are the result of Belichick’s “insecurity from spygate,” said Young from behind the desk on ESPN.

The skeletons in the closet: Maybe Belichick is feeling the same kind of insecurity Young felt after playing second fiddle to Joe Montana in the hearts and minds of San Francisco football fans – the same kind of insecurity that caused Young to throw a record six TD passes in Super Bowl XXIX, the last in the fourth quarter with his team sporting a comfortable 42-18 lead against the overmatched 11-5 Chargers.

Young in the ESPN segment also lamented getting his ass handed to him by the Bears back when he was with Tampa Bay.

Indeed, the Bears did beat the Bucs 48-14 back in 1986, Young’s second and last year in Tampa. But he conveniently failed to mention San Francisco’s 52-14 deconstruction of the Bears when he was with the 49ers in 1991.

Finally, Young also kind of forgot to mention how the 49ers treated the woeful Falcons during his tenure in San Francisco: which is pretty much the same way you treat the water in your toilet bowl.

Here are just some of the scores of the San Francisco-Atlanta series during Young’s tenure leading the post-Montana 49ers:

* 1992 – San Fran 56, Atlanta 17

* 1992 – San Fran 41, Atlanta 3

* 1994 – San Fran 42, Atlanta 3

* 1994 – San Fran 50, Atlanta 14

You know, if the 49ers hadn’t hung 16 fourth-quarter points on the Falcons in that 50-14 tune-up for their Super Bowl run, maybe it wouldn't have tarnished San Fran's image so drastically.

Edited by LooGie

I am a Brady owner. But I hope that knock brady out for the season. Running up the score for no reason is not cool. I love winning with Brady. But at some point you should be respectful. But I got a feeling every team from here on out is targetting to kill Brady and Moss. I am willing to go out on a limb to say its a bet between NFL players only on who can injury one of those players.

Edit to add.

TO PROVE A POINT!

Edited by loyalboyd