[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reason #1,238 to love Steve Smith

msaint

so being a bully and sucker punching somebody makes you a leader huh??? :D

if he is such a great leader then why does he berate the qb on the sidelines???/ oh yeah he is sooooo competative right???

now he mocks a rookie who is giving an interview, embarrassing him in front of the media!!! great leadership qualities there !!!!

sounds like he is still a blowhard that cries when things dont go his way.......Jarrett should have matured beyond and laid the sucka out!!!......SERIOUSLY! ( in a strong tone )

first of all, I notice you have nothing to say now that you realize the rook was talking about his lack of playing time. No one on that team but Smith could catch even a green light. Jarrett, Mr. Second Rounder, sucks this season. He hasn't over thrown the withering Colbert as the #2, or even the mighty butter fingered Carter for the #3, which talks for his performance in practices and elsewhere.

Secondly, when the team is losing, and when the wins they do have, are ugly and against terrible teams, theres a problem. If Smith, as the clear cut leader, and one of the best, if not the best WR in the game, has something to say to a rookie, playing the same position, that rookie better listen.

Smith has matured and went away from the TD celebrations, the shenanigans, the mouthiness and became a pillar of class and leadership and performance. There is not a coach, player or fan that would not want him on their team, and if he's got something to say, he's got a right to say it.

Excellence breeds excellence, and this team, just doesn't get it. No one shows up but Smitty day in and day out. He's passionate and competitive, but he's a team player first.

Thridly, Smith getting frustrated on the sidelines. A WR getting mad a QB on the sidelines..yah, you never see that. They would all be jerks and not worthy of an opinion, nor a leadership role if they did that. When someone like Smitty, who obviously lacks talent and could NEVER change a game with his abilities, gets mad for not being targeted more often, he should be ashamed of himself. He talks to the media too much, and is basically an all around pain in the ass. Our QB play is perfect. I wouldn't take Brady for Delhomme/Carr/Testeverde and if they target Smitty early or often, I'm going to be pissed, because he doesn't deserve any looks until he straightens up and can actually produce and contribute to this championship caliber team. If I see him yell at MY quarterback again, I'm going to personally rush the field and tell him "HEY, INSTEAD OF TALKING TO THE QB, WHY DON'T YOU WATCH SOME DAMN FILM? SERIOUSLY BITCH!" and then i'll sucker punch him.

I hope you're sensing the sarcasm, because i'm laying it on pretty thick.

Edited by LooGie

If the media wants to speak with the Rook about his playing time or lack thereof then cool let him speak....who the F is Smith to belittle him??? Does your boss belittle you in front of your entire work staff???

I agree with you on some points that Smith got away from td celebrations, but he is still mouthy and spouting off to your qb on the sidelines is not leading by example!!! and yeah we see that all the time from the likes of TO !!! he must be a great leader too huh???

As far as Smith being the best WR in the game ....serious ( another strong tone) ?? Um I think that a MR Marvin Harrison is still one the best at the Biz and he never talks crap and would never berate a teamate infront of others or behind the scenes!! He is as classy as they come!!!

It's one thing for media to want to speak to the rook. it's another for the rook to speak back, especially about playing time, when he hasn't even earned garbage time.

I would really like to hear your examples of Smith being mouthy. other than a few times on the sidelines, you got nothing. And NEARLY every player does it. Jerry Rice did it at least once. Hell, even Favre loses his mind on his WRs when they don't fight for a pass. He's probably a Megan Fox bag, terrible leader too, huh?

I agree that T.O. throws fits, but if you call what Smitty does the same as what T.O. has done, then this debate it pretty much over, because I wont argue with someone that doesn't know the difference.

And about Marvin, you're are absolutely right He is still ONE OF THE BEST in the biz, and never talks crap and wouldn't ever berate a teammate. That doesn't make him a leader. It's widely known that Marvin doesn't step into any situation, he sits by himself on the bench and minds his own damn business. He certainly is the epitome of class, and still the best route runner in the league, but unfortunately, he's not up to par with Smith, Moss, Plax, or even Wayne now. That saddens me to say that, but it's true.

Now i'm not insinuating Marvin isn't a leader, but what i'm saying is, if Marvin went up to a rookie and said "hey, instead of talking to the media, why dont you watch some film" no one would say anything negative. Not even the media. Hell the media woulda been all "oh snap. we need to get out of here, Marvin aint happy. Pick this up tomorrow Mr. Harrison?" and that would've been that.

Smith is a leader, and honeslty, the only leader on that team right now. He's firey, competive, and one of the best, if not the best WR in the game. All the reason for him to have respect from a rookie that's running his mouth.

I have a feeling we're making a bigger deal out of this than it is (which is typical in footballese). Most likely, the rook went and watched film, and Smitty was already in there and they sat together and talked about what they saw.

It's one thing for media to want to speak to the rook. it's another for the rook to speak back, especially about playing time, when he hasn't even earned garbage time.

I would really like to hear your examples of Smith being mouthy. other than a few times on the sidelines, you got nothing. And NEARLY every player does it. Jerry Rice did it at least once. Hell, even Favre loses his mind on his WRs when they don't fight for a pass. He's probably a Megan Fox bag, terrible leader too, huh?

I agree that T.O. throws fits, but if you call what Smitty does the same as what T.O. has done, then this debate it pretty much over, because I wont argue with someone that doesn't know the difference.

And about Marvin, you're are absolutely right He is still ONE OF THE BEST in the biz, and never talks crap and wouldn't ever berate a teammate. That doesn't make him a leader. It's widely known that Marvin doesn't step into any situation, he sits by himself on the bench and minds his own damn business. He certainly is the epitome of class, and still the best route runner in the league, but unfortunately, he's not up to par with Smith, Moss, Plax, or even Wayne now. That saddens me to say that, but it's true.

Now i'm not insinuating Marvin isn't a leader, but what i'm saying is, if Marvin went up to a rookie and said "hey, instead of talking to the media, why dont you watch some film" no one would say anything negative. Not even the media. Hell the media woulda been all "oh snap. we need to get out of here, Marvin aint happy. Pick this up tomorrow Mr. Harrison?" and that would've been that.

Smith is a leader, and honeslty, the only leader on that team right now. He's firey, competive, and one of the best, if not the best WR in the game. All the reason for him to have respect from a rookie that's running his mouth.

I have a feeling we're making a bigger deal out of this than it is (which is typical in footballese). Most likely, the rook went and watched film, and Smitty was already in there and they sat together and talked about what they saw.

+1

It appears to me that Smitty is being a leader on a team that needs them badly right now. Leaders aren't afraid to say things that people don't want to hear.

No kidding. Since when is a rookie talking to reporters deserving of a reprimand? Perhaps there's some context to this that we don't know about, but "Sucker Punch" Steve comes off as more of a bully than a "leader" here.

Hmm...

Go figure - me and Swerski agree on something.

Sounds to me like Smith was being an a-hole, plain and simple.

I live in Charlotte and heard a lot of this on the radio on the way into work this morning. What happened is that some of the local beat writers were interviewing Jarrett on a piece they were working on about his very tough season. In the NFL 1st and 2nd rounders are typically counted on to contribute as some point and the Panthers released Keyshawn thinking they had found his replacement in the draft in Jarrett, so I think management was really counting on getting a steal in the 2nd round that could have helped them out this year. Jarrett has been INACTIVE for 7 of the 8 games we have played this year because the coaching staff feels like he is not ready to suit up on Sunday. I have also heard rumblings that he was slow to learn the playbook and his inability to show enough progress 1/2 way through the season may be one of the reasons that he hasn't seen the field.

Smitty sees him at practice and when he overheard the interview he was having with the beat writers he got up from his locker to talk directly too Jarrett. Smitty, I am sure would like to see what he can do on the field and was pushing him to look at himself to step up his efforts to practice harder, study film, etc and it will start clicking for him.

I applaud Smitty for trying to mentor him and a little urging from one of the best WRs in the game telling you to look at more film... sets the bar a little higher to do just that. :D He wants Jarrett to contribute to the team, but unless he is not willing to put more time in he may need to wait for several more weeks to see game action and his rookie season will be turn into more of a dissappointment for him as well as Panther management.

Edited by PSULions

• 5 months later...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/21/...aks-on-jarrett/

STEVE SMITH SPEAKS ON JARRETT

Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2008, 9:04 p.m.

Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith has been hoping to get on the team another pass-catcher who can take some of the pressure off one of the best wideouts in the game.

Last year, the Panthers used a second-round pick on Dwayne Jarrett, a guy whom many expected to be a first-rounder, but who slid due to subpar pre-draft workouts. The Panthers felt so strongly about Jarrett that they dumped Keyshawn Johnson.

But Jarrett played in only seven games a year ago, catching only six passes for 73 yards for the entire campaign.

On Monday, Smith sounded off about Jarrett’s possible future, if he doesn’t turn things around.

Asked if Jarrett is due for a coming-out party in his second NFL season, Smith said, “You know, the party session is actually over. This is the NFL. You make plays. You’re here to play football. You do the party scene at your own discretion, but on Sundays, we’re here to play football. If you can’t play football, you won’t be playing with the Carolina Panthers or any NFL team.”

And then Smith said that his comments aren’t “a poke at anybody.” Even though he was responding to a direct question about Dwayne Jarrett.

Steve Smith is my favorite Panther and tells it like it is, which I also like and appreciate. Hopefully, Jarrett takes the message at face value and realizes that the opportunity that he has been given is a short-lived thing. You put the time in at practice, studying film etc. to get better or else you will be shown the door.

I would love for Jarrett to show some promise this year and start making an impact as he has a chance to be the #4 WR on the team and continue to learn from Steve and Moose.

Steve Smith is my favorite Panther and tells it like it is, which I also like and appreciate. Hopefully, Jarrett takes the message at face value and realizes that the opportunity that he has been given is a short-lived thing. You put the time in at practice, studying film etc. to get better or else you will be shown the door.

I would love for Jarrett to show some promise this year and start making an impact as he has a chance to be the #4 WR on the team and continue to learn from Steve and Moose.

I think it's pretty clear how they feel about Jarrett at this point if they brought Moose back AND signed DJ Hackett. :wacko:

... and pull a hamstring and miss 8 games....

when was the last time outside of BREAKING HIS LEG that smitty missed 8 games because of a hammy :wacko:

outside of breaking his leg in 2004 smitty has missed a grand total of FIVE games since he came into the league

Edited by keggerz